Candy Is Dandy

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:23 am
@Letty,
I believe that was Dorothy Parker, Miss Lettybettyhettygetty. I'll go check.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:24 am
Ok, Miss Lettybettyhettygetty, you were right, and i was wrong.
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:30 am
@Setanta,
i would have probably guessed parker too
dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:55 am
@djjd62,
men don't make passes and women who wear glasses.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:31 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Setanta wrote:

Anyone blind to sugar in cultures (and not just industrial cultures) must be blind to damned near everything. Both ethnologists and genetecists have awoken to the fact that we are evolutionarily pre-disposed to want fats and sugars. In a hunter-gatherer socieity in a temperate and especially in a periglacial climate, humans, like all animals, lard up before winter. Which is to say, they put as much fat on and thereby store as much energy as possible. By late winter and early spring, they'll be nearing starvation if they have survived at all. Having a hunger for sugars is a natural attribute. Sugars represent energy right now, and allow someone to save the fat reserves which our ancestors needed to get them through the lean times of late winter and early spring. Those were lean times which could be and often were lethal. Sugar cravings are natural, even if our ancestors didnn't have access to refined cane sugar.

The effect of sugar was but one of the changes that occured in the early industrial revolution, though it was significant... People liked slavery because it was sweet, but sugar in the form of rum was also traded for slaves... And new foods from America, corn and potatoes, and rice from africa and the Orient fueled a population growth which fed bodies into the maw of capital as fast as capital could swallow them or spit them out...

We forget how common was death, especially among children, with malnutrition as big a factor as overcrowding and poor sanitation... I read once of a man named John who also named all of his ten children John, in the hopes that one might succeed him with the name.... It is something to consider, since now we induce malnutrition by pushing the three food groups: Salt, sugar, and fats; preferably in the same meal... And we are developing a monoculture of agricultural products, and I have to wonder what is at the end of it... We had excellent growing conditions and my garden sucked... Was it the plants I bought??? Were they just for looks??? What is going on???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:35 pm
@Setanta,
I like Durer... Too bad the Lutherans threw so much of his stuff into the flames...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bacon air freshener ? ! ? ! ?

I'll take a dozen, please.

There was an ironworker who used bacon fat once as a substitute for KY jelly when off on an adulterous weekend... Half way through the act the girl said: Some one is cooking bacon!!! U betcha
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:40 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

men don't make passes and women who wear glasses.

Only because most men require blindfolds or blinkers to be considered eligable...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:47 pm
This thread reminded me how much I used to love these. They are perfect to carry in the purse, and they are soooo delicious.
http://www.americarx.com/admin/ARXPRODUCTIMAGES/LImages/Lifesavers/452052.jpg

But I haven't been able to find them in stores in ages. So, I just looked on the internet, and, voila! I found them, with free shipping to boot. I'm about to order some Smile

I also used to like the Reeds root beer candies that were individually wrapped and came in little rolls like Lifesavers, and the Lifesavers sour flavors, like sour cherry--but those seem to be gone forever (big sigh).

Any hard candies that others would recommend?
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:49 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Oooooooo yeah . . . oh baby, oh baby ! ! !
Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 02:56 pm
@dyslexia,
girls who wear spectacles quite often get their neck tickled. Odgen Nash. Razz

Haven't had any life savers in ions.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

firefly wrote:

Oooooooo yeah . . . oh baby, oh baby ! ! !
Is that little hole just about right???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:37 pm
@firefly,
You need to visit Toronto firefly. For some reason, we've got a crazy variety of hard candies easily available (other than Boston Baked Beans, that I occasionally have colleagues bring back from work trips).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:05 pm
I seem to have a weakness for sort of expensive little tin boxes of candies. First of all, I like the tins. I could have been a tin collector, tin woman..
Second, I often like the candies.

I have in my possession at this time:
Zingos Extra Strength Cinnamons
Grether's Pastilles (a base de glycerine et cassis)
Pastiglie Leone, Cremona Bar Portici

Those last are a little old; I bought them in Cremona in '99, ate the first tin full over time. This one as yet unopened. I'm a sentimental person.

Good thing there is no Trader Joe's near my area of the city, as I well remember some green tea tabs in a wee tin.

I've had those violet candies ehBeth is talking about, liked them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 10:04 am
Some Christmas candy I really love--like Harry London Peppermint Bark. But that's a somewhat pricey treat I can't always get.
So, I was fairly happy to find bags of Dove peppermint bark Promises at the drug store.
http://weightlesslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/photo-1-300x225.jpg
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/candywarehouse_2137_346396425
They are a layer of dark chocolate, and a layer of white chocolate with crushed peppermint pieces mixed in, in individually wrapped little servings. While not quite up to Harry London in quality, they are rather good for everyday munching and I'm rather pleased with them.

Another fav I love I can usually find only at Christmas are the Terry's Chocolate Oranges.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514Q5g5NlkL._SL500_.jpg
So far, I haven't found those yet, but I'm still hunting.

Do you have any favorite Christmas candies?
0 Replies