Time traveler? Crazy lady? Something else?

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:36 pm
Have you see this?

This guy says that a 1928 Charlie Chaplin film shows a time traveler talking on a cell phone.

This guy kind of blabbers on a bit but if you fast forward the clip to 2:43 you'll get right to the bit that he's talking about.

What do you think?

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:17 pm
I don't know enough to tell if it is 'doctored' or not. But, it does make me wonder who they would be talking to.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:33 pm
@boomerang,
Now who in 1928 would this alleged time traveller be talking to ... let alone how would he get a bloody cell phone signal in the first place? Are we supposed to believe that it's either Dr. Who's cross universe/dimension mobile phone or some kind of alien communicator, etc...?

This has got to be a marketing hoax for some kind of future production that he wants to release in the year or couple of years.
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well.... maybe it's someone in the distant future and she's using a cell phone from that time and they don't need no stinkin' signals or something.

So we're seeing a future person on a past film.

Cool!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@squinney,
Maybe someone on here has a copy of that film and they can verify it!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:52 pm
Beam her up, Scotty!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:55 pm
@boomerang,
You mean that lady with the strange shoes holding her hat on her head with a comb in her hand while talking to herself... yeh, definitely a time traveler Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:59 pm
@rosborne979,
Couldn't it be that the lady is holding a pixie, against his will, trapped inside a box of matches and she's listening to it scream to let him out....
rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 06:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Couldn't it be that the lady is holding a pixie, against his will, trapped inside a box of matches and she's listening to it scream to let him out....

Oh man, it's so obvious now that you mention it. I don't know why I didn't see it before.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Nobody else is having to hold onto their hats but.... yeah.... I talk to my comb a lot so you could be right.
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 06:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love tormenting my pixie!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:13 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Nobody else is having to hold onto their hats but.... yeah.... I talk to my comb a lot so you could be right.

People back then were odd Smile

Besides if forced to choose between crazy lady talking to her comb or TimeTraveler... the smart money is on crazy lady.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Why would she bother - unless she likes to hear the screaming? Just put him in the meetal box and be done with it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:38 pm
Maybe she was talking to someone on her cell phone when she time traveled and she hasn't figured out that she has lost signal yet.

But, then that doesn't explain why she isn't in color.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:28 am
This clown says she's "talking on the thin black device." That's a con man's trick--i didn't see any "thin black device," and i didn't clearly see that she was talking. A con man will plant ideas in your head (or attempt to) to set you up for the con. That's what this joker is doing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:39 am
Awwww.

Quote:
Theories that an apparent 'time traveller' made her way into the set of CHARLIE CHAPLIN's 1928 movie 'The Circus', appear to have been debunked today after experts began wading in on the debate. Earlier this week, Irish filmmaker GEORGE CLARKE pointed out that an extra in the movie appears to be holding a cell-phone to her ear while walking across the set.

However, the website LiveScience.com spoke to an archivist at the Medical Library of Washington University who appeared to give a logical explanation for the mystery. Phillip Skroska provided images of early hearing aids and said, "As you can tell from these, old-fashioned mechanical or resonating hearing aids were not necessarily long and rounded. Short, compact rectangular forms were not unusual". Those commenting on the Youtube video, which has over 1.5 million views, urged people to visit Siemens official hearing aid site and flick through their product history page. The company reportedly released a device in 1924 that resembled the modern day cell phone.

Yesterday, The Washington Post explained the footage by suggesting the woman was simply adjusting her hat, adding, "After watching the footage several times, this is the most logical conclusion I can draw. If you watch closely, she eventually starts to put her hand back down".

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:44 am
http://thegreatgeekmanual.com/images/graphical-gags/september/time-traveler-commemorative-sign.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:57 am
We are all time travelers.

Most of us just do it more slowly than others.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:07 am

Maybe she was using it as an absorbent handkerchief or an ice pack.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

We are all time travelers.

Most of us just do it more slowly than others.
WHO r the others ?
0 Replies