What caused the reddish purple rain that came down today?

tom b

Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:35 pm
My wife was driving on FWY 5N just north of Bakersfield CA at approximately noon today 10-25-10 and for a period of one to two minutes it rained reddish purple rain. Not a reddish tint, very reddish purple! I have a photo taken with her cell phone of the reddish purple rain drops all over the windshield. There was an earthquake 3.4 in the area this morning if that is pertinent. What caused this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,932 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

CoastalRat

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 05:58 am
@tom b,
I think the purple rain was caused by Prince. Er, the artist formerly known as Prince. Or has he changed back to Prince? Oh, well, I'd blame him for Purple Rain.
djjd62

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 06:04 am
it's the Illuminati, maaaaaaaaaaaaan

they're spraying poison in the skies, maaaaaaaaaaaaan

0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:14 am
@CoastalRat,
Stole my thunder again.
sozobe

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:18 am
@tom b,
Was all the rain that came down that color, or was it raining for longer than that and it was only colored for 1 or 2 minutes?

Would love to see the photo!
squinney

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:44 am
@sozobe,
I'd love to see it too. This happened in India a few years back. Some of it was gathered and studied. If you Google "red rain" you'll find incidents of it happening, news reports, and theories.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:59 am
@Setanta,
I must be getting good at this. I'll leave the next one for you. Promise.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:07 am
@sozobe,
Right Sozobe. A little evidence or even a newspaper link might help with context.
0 Replies

tom b

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:30 pm
@sozobe,
My wife was traveling about 70 mph. She would have traveled almost 2 miles in the time it was raining. It was raining only red rain from the time it started to the time she left the area of the rain. Other than the color it appeared as totally normal rain shower. How do I attach a picture?
Thanks
0 Replies

Green Witch

Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:39 pm
My understanding of most colored rain is that it is caused by pollutants in the atmosphere. This article goes into more detail:
http://www.helium.com/items/42088-what-is-red-rain
0 Replies

djjd62

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:20 am
one question, how fast was your wife driving? Razz
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:24 am
Red Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6BesY5Doec
djjd62

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:42 am
@Ragman,
aaah, it's a publicity campaign promoting a Prince/Peter Gabriel Comeback tour
Ionus

Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:57 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
What caused the reddish purple rain

Quote:
aaah, it's a publicity campaign promoting a Prince/Peter Gabriel Comeback tour

OR an aircraft with a leaky toilet.
0 Replies

shivab

Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:27 pm
@tom b,
In response to the "red rain" in India, there were several prominent theories, the most intriguing of which have been de-bunked. Several scientists believed that it was cosmic dust of some sort from a passing asteroid. Along with that theory, some believed it to be an extra-terrestial form of microbial life.
Unfortunately, scientists are now withdrawing those claims and issuing statements which tell us that the red pigment came from some type of algae or moss.
I would like to know where this purplish color might be coming from though.
roger

Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:34 pm
@shivab,
Yes, how unfortunate it wasn't an extra-terrestial form of microbial life. What a great opportunity to develope our immune systems.
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 26 Nov, 2010 12:05 am
Quote:
What caused the reddish purple rain that came down today?
I have applied my vast dowers of peduction and concluded it was gravity that caused it to come down. You may now close this thread.
0 Replies

libran30

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:33 am
@CoastalRat,
Possibly from the oil spill as you know everything is recycled, nothing is destroyed. So that is the most logical explanation I could come up with
0 Replies