Should able2know ban people for having untoward opinions?

Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the nastiness level going up is solely a function of the community breaking down. this was foreordained when Robert only took a very few views other than his into consideration when he remade this place, and also with his reinforcing this dismissal of the community with him periodically coming around being a **** to people. he was warned by me a long time ago that he fucked this up, but he is hard headed sometimes.

I had not been very involved in A2K for quite a while. Recently I have returned, to some extent. Therefore, I am not familiar with the politics going on in A2K. But I'll take your word for it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:38 pm
@JTT,
I have a good nose for sniffing out bullshit.
Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:40 pm
@spendius,
No, actually I would prefer good old fashioned mud wrestling! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Really, P?

How many people has the United States killed in your lifetime?

http://able2know.org/topic/181358-1

Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:46 pm
@JTT,
I don't have the foggiest. Although fascinating, I don't understand what this particular piece of knowledge has to do with the subject at hand. Please enlighten me.
JTT

Wed 2 Jan, 2013 07:25 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I don't understand what this particular piece of knowledge has to do with the subject at hand. Please enlighten me.

You said, "I have a good nose for sniffing out bullshit".
0 Replies

Kolyo

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 01:11 am
If this site is to have any kind of worthwhile future, making aggressive comments of a sexual nature, either in posts or in tags, should not be permitted.

Free speech rights are important, but as free speech goes the right to swing your fist stops at another's face. When lewd and vulgar comments are made about the women who post here, or about daughters of the men who post here, it scares off good-natured impressionable people who might otherwise join. It stops them from coming here to share their views; it infringes on their freedom of speech.
hawkeye10

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 02:16 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
making aggressive comments of a sexual nature, either in posts or in tags, should not be permitted.

This sounds so familiar: "Killing 45 people in 114 minutes in gory 3D slow-mo for no reason is cool, but dont let me see a **** or a dick!"

Quote:
but as free speech goes the right to swing your fist stops at another's face.
They are words that you speak of , and words only effect you as much or as little as you let them.

ARGUMENT REJECTED

Quote:
When lewd and vulgar comments are made about the women who post here, or about daughters of the men who post here,
Interesting how gthe lewd and vulgar comments made towards men dont seem to matter. We must be listening to a feminist.

Quote:
it scares off good-natured impressionable people who might otherwise join.
There is the assertion of fact, but where is the evidence to support it? If you dont have it dont claim to speak for other people, speak for yourself only.

Quote:
It stops them from coming here to share their views; it infringes on their freedom of speech.
here lies the gobbledygook of a brain dead liberal, certainly. "I imagine that guy over there chose to not come over here for these reasons I give you....HE IS A VICTIM!"
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 12:09 am
No, free expression should pervile in open society. banning will significantly reduce activities on any platform and members will opt out to open platform
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tsarstepan

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 06:27 am
@bunnyhabit ,
bunnyhabit wrote:

they don't do this even in China and Russia.

Criticism against any of the many decades' worth of related authoritarian regimes listed above? You'll be lucky just to be thrown into jail. Many of Putin's biggest critiques have ended up the business end of some gruesome assassinations. Have you never heard of the Siberian gulags? Believe China also has isolated work camps where they send dissidents permanently away from the light of day and media.

No one is stopping you from taking your egregious understanding of politics, history, and obviously grammar to more accommodating trash-bins like 4Chan, Reddit, Stormfront, white nationalist Twitter, etc....

Hate speech, conspiracy theories, deliberate and intentional propaganda as literal news AKA fake news? We don't need that alleged "normal convo" as it's far from normal and almost as toxic as nuclear sludge....
izzythepush

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 07:03 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Believe China also has isolated work camps where they send dissidents permanently away from the light of day and media.

Just being the wrong ethnic group can get you permanently locked up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 09:09 am
Quote:
Should able2know ban people for having untoward opinions?

Just to further cloud the issue — it's okay to have untoward opinions. It's the manner in which they are expressed that causes problems.
snood

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 09:16 am
@hightor,
Isn't one man's untoward another man's toward?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 01:05 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Just to further cloud the issue — it's okay to have untoward opinions. It's the manner in which they are expressed that causes problems.

Having the "correct" opinions helps too.

When a feminist is obnoxious people are pretty accepting of their behavior including tolerating nasty personal attacks. When a gun rights supporter acts the same way, it isn't tolerated.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 12:22 am
One pervile forward may be someone else's froward vile perv, who's to say which will prevail. Not sorry I'm late. Happy same old.

0 Replies

fbaezer

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 07:36 pm
I just have one thing to say.
I spend less and less time in A2K since many of the political debate forums are monopolized by right wing trolls. (I have also found a few left-wing trolls, but they are less common).
It's not a matter of freedom of speech, but the abundance of self-serving maniacs who derail debates.
maxdancona

Tue 1 Jan, 2019 11:31 pm
@fbaezer,
I don't think the trolls are to blame (and the word "troll" has come to mean "people who don't fit with my political paradigm).

It is the group think here that is the problem, there is a popular set of opinions, and when anyone dissents... the defenders of political correctness feel compelled to respond with insults. Any troll can be ignored. The in-crowd's need to crowd out any other point of view is what jams up threads with incessant posts filled with personal attacks.

In Able2know having the "correct" opinion is far more important than discussing different perspectives in a civil manner... and some of the most abusive members here are quite well accepted because they are righteous in their political bubble.

tsarstepan

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think the trolls are to blame (and the word "troll" has come to mean "people who don't fit with my political paradigm).

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
OMFG! You really think this is the proper definition AND you really think that dropping the word paradigm into your post that you just intellectually trumped us all by being academically pretentious.

Dictionary.com
Quote:
Digital Technology . Informal . a.to post inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments on (the Internet, especially a message board) for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.
b.to upset or provoke (other users) by posting such messages or comments.

Quote:
Digital Technology . Informal . to post inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments online for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.

Merriam-Webster
Quote:
a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content
//… trolls engage in the most outrageous and offensive behaviors possible—all the better to troll you with.

— Whitney Phillips

b : to act as a troll (see troll entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.)
//… is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet, posting offensive material he himself has written and then suing anyone who responds in agreement.

— Mark Hemingway

c : to harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts
izzythepush

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

AND you really think that dropping the word paradigm into your post that you just intellectually trumped us all by being academically pretentious.

Bang on.
0 Replies