Would you like fries with your groom? The rise of McWeddings: A good or bad start?

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 03:19 pm
Quote:
Hong Kong McDonald's To Offer McWeddings
October 18, 2010
Starting in January, some McDonald's locations in Hong Kong will offer McWeddings. The wedding packages start $1,000 -- more than a Big Mac but less than many competing receptions. The happy McCouple and their guests get a personalized menu, decorations and McDonald's-themed gifts.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130639016
Ladies? Will you have your wedding at McDonalds, Burger King, Chuckie Cheese, Arbies, or Subway? Or some place else?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 04:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't think this is any worse a setting for a wedding than some of the fantasy settings I've attended weddings at. At least it's verging on affordable.

<hanging on, barely, to wedding rant>
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Well everyone knows that a Wendy's marriage based ceremony is more suitable place for a wedding then a McD's. Rolling Eyes

BTW: What fantasy setting are you loosely referring to ehBeth? I'm intrigued.

Dungeon's and Dragon's? Lord of the Rings? Um... Dune?
talk72000

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
With the proliferation of Dollar stores McWeddings fit in.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
It is definitely not as bad as some of the weddings I have seen on a show called America's Trashiest Weddings. McDonald's would make some of those weddings look like Princess Di and Charles' wedding!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 08:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Why not? I've seen birthday parties there. Birthdays, weddings, funerals - inside or drivethrough.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I vote some place else ..... any place else for that matter....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:42 am
@roger,
Why not have the marriage vows in the ball pit?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:20 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ladies? Will you have your wedding at McDonalds, Burger King, Chuckie Cheese, Arbies, or Subway? Or some place else?

I got married by a minister from some religion I can't even remember. I wore a navy blue and white dress that I put on for the first time that day, but wore dozens of times to work after that.
At the ceremony was me, the groom, minister, sister, brother in law and their 2 and a half year old. We did it in an outdoor courtyard, and had to stop the ceremony in the middle so we could all look at a bug the kid had found.

Afterwards, the 5 of us went to Denny's. I had a Grand Slam Breakfast and coffee. The groom had 8 eggs, biscuts and gravy, and coffee. The kid insisted on eating her milk out of a glass with a spoon, calling it "milk soup" Since we were the bride and groom, we didn't have to pay. Sis and BIL took care of the bill.
Then we got in the car and drove across the state to Sarasota and a weekend honeymoon.

I guess my memories of the day are just as good as if I'd gotten married in some big ceremony, and had a party in some hotel with a hundred plus guests.
A lot less stress, and the same amount of happiness.

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:33 am
@tsarstepan,
I think the fantasy has to do with big poofy (EXPENSIVE) dress in a big fancy (EXPENSIVE) place with a big fancy (EXPENSIVE) menu.

That was my first thought when I saw the title, too, that if it's cheaper, go for it.

The cost of a normal/average wedding has gotten pretty insane.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:33 am
@chai2,
You may have gone to Dennys - but you did not have the ceremony there - I can't imagine having the ceremony some where like that. Just odd.

You should have gotten Rutti Tutti what ever...or is that IHOP
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:01 am
@chai2,
I can't say your exact marriage was an ideal dream of mine (though I never expect to get married at this point) but the idea of a very small, simple, and intimate wedding of a dozen or so people makes so much sense and seems more socially satisfying then trying to make a wedding as large as one could (or to be fair a wedding one could not afford but forced to pay through loans and credit cards).
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I can't say your exact marriage was an ideal dream of mine (though I never expect to get married at this point) but the idea of a very small, simple, and intimate wedding of a dozen or so people makes so much sense and seems more socially satisfying then trying to make a wedding as large as one could (or to be fair a wedding one could not afford but forced to pay through loans and credit cards).

You know what?
I honestly never thought of "planning" anything for this wedding.
Both my husband and I realized that, at the end of the day, no one really cared that he and I were getting wed that day. It really isn't anyone elses business either. (BTW, I forgot, his 13 year old dtr was there also, or was she 11 at the time? I can't recall)

For us, it was just an official way to state our intentions to be committed to each other. We had actually married each other way before that actual day. We have also stated our recommitment to each other since that day, alone.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:41 am
@chai2,
Did you at least through a bouquet of peeps or some other kind of unorthodox wedding bouquet?
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
a friend of my mothers remortgaged her house to pay for her daughters wedding

it was a farce, apart for the stupid extravagance of the actual ceremony and reception, she also spent $5,000+ putting a big front porch on the house so they'd have somewhere to take pictures, it rained the day of the wedding so the ended up taking the pictures on a very nice staircase at the club where the reception was held

if the money spent on the wedding had been put towards their house, they'd have had about 1/4 of the downpayment

by the way, she had someone put plastic around the porch so that not too much snow would build up the first winter after it was built, 10 or so years later, the plastic is still there and the porch is used to store her recycling boxes
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
I think you all misunderstand the cultural issue here.

McDonalds in the US is a cheap place to go with the kids. McDonalds in some other countries is an expensive place to take a date for a special romantic evening.

It is wrong to project US attitudes to cultural trends happening in other countries.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:24 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Did you at least through a bouquet of peeps or some other kind of unorthodox wedding bouquet?

Who would I have thrown them to?

No, I didn't have a bouquet.

I got married on a January 1, and I felt stressed enough about finding someone who would be around on that day to say whatever crap they had to say.
I can't begin to imagine handling all the other stuff other brides have to deal with.
Nor would I have been interested in that.

My first wedding? It ended up being very small, and rather pathetic (not unlike the entire marriage). I had actually wanted to have a bit of a party, something that would have been recognized as a wedding celebration. You know, parents, brothers and sisters.
My parents (I was 30, and lived 1,500 miles away), made such an ordeal over the most ridiculous crap, I said "**** it" and got married by a judge.

I'm not one to let someone elses crazyness and douchebaggery dictate something that isn't even their future.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

a friend of my mothers remortgaged her house to pay for her daughters wedding

it was a farce, apart for the stupid extravagance of the actual ceremony and reception, she also spent $5,000+ putting a big front porch on the house so they'd have somewhere to take pictures, it rained the day of the wedding so the ended up taking the pictures on a very nice staircase at the club where the reception was held

if the money spent on the wedding had been put towards their house, they'd have had about 1/4 of the downpayment

by the way, she had someone put plastic around the porch so that not too much snow would build up the first winter after it was built, 10 or so years later, the plastic is still there and the porch is used to store her recycling boxes

That's what I'm talkin' about. What a joke.

Did you mean a quarter of the downpayment, or a quarter of the house?

Peoples priorities are so fucked up.

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:32 am
@chai2,
sorry, yeah a quarter of the value of the house, around $40,000 (porch included)

the newspaper announcement, was almost a page long column, it described in great detail the brides gown, the mother of the bride and mother of the groom dresses, the floral arrangements, just crazy over the top stuff
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:33 am
@chai2,
Not to mention that many people claim to hate going to weddings in the first place. It seems they begrudgingly attend out of some kind of family or associates (not even friend) based obligation so they can gripe about the ceremony, food, and drunken relatives after the whole thing is over.
0 Replies