Cell Phone Etiquette Confession Booth/Snitch Hotline

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:47 am
Quote:
Today's Urban Dictionary Word of the Day:
Cellfish 477 up, 205 down
October 22, 2010 Urban Word of the Day

Example:
An individual who talks on his or her cell phone even when doing so is rude or inconsiderate of other people.
"Can't you stop talking on the phone while ordering your happy meal -- that's cellfish"

Related words:
selfish; cell phone-itis; cell ****
by I Work 99 Jul 28, 2008

2. cellfish 48 up, 14 down

Those who continue to talk on their cell phone, oblivious to the effect on others around them.
Example:
Driving while on your cell phone.
Having loud conversations on your cell phone in a resaurant or movie theater. You are cellfish!

So what cell phone sins have you committed?

Have you texted during a movie at home with a loved one or in the cinema and unwittingly/unknowingly/or uncaringly distracted your neighbors?

Accepted a phone call middle of a conversation during dinner at a restaurant?Or at home during a heart to heart talk with your spouse?

Transgressors? Confess your sins here!

Saints? Cast the first stone and report those miscreants who have committed public and private cell phone fouls against thee!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 4,049 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Saints? Cast the first stone and report those miscreants who have committed public and private cell phone fouls against thee!

Everytime I see someone driving in our province (B.C.) and hanging onto a cell phone. Mad
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:10 pm
@Reyn,
Testify! Amen! Mr. Green
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I will confess for my husband - he does it all the time to me. His damn blackberry will make a noise and he will stop listening to me and look at the dumb thing.

When he looks up after I've walked away because he obviously is not paying attention to me - looks up with a blank look (picture Fabio on suvivor) - "what?" and I say forget it - whatever is on your blackberry must be more important.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:20 pm
@Linkat,
Can't think of a better solution.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 05:56 am
@tsarstepan,
I have offended by texting a few times when with friends, but generally I won't pick up ANY phone (except for work because I have to) when I am speaking face to face with someone.

I turn the bastard off in cinemas.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:00 am
i hate bluetooth, people walking around talking to themselves (as far as i can tell anyway), at least when i talk to myself i keep it in my own head
thack45

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 06:23 am
@djjd62,
Nothing like seeing someone using a "hands-free" device while their hands are in fact free. Ridiculous.
squinney

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:13 am
Texting is difficult enough for me without trying to do it during dinner, a movie, or conversation, let alone while driving! Geesh!

Cub answered his phone during dinner the other night. After about 20 seconds, I suggested he leave the table if he was going to be on the phone. It was work, so he couldn't ignore it. He apologized for not excusing himself earlier when he came back to the table. He knows that rule and it was a minor infraction.

I'm gonna throw a stone at Bear, though. He drives me nuts with his cellfish cell phone use. I can ignore my phone all day. I don't get the need to look at who is calling me if I'm already talking to someone. The only exception is if one of the kids might be calling when they should have been home already.

Bear needs to do 20 Hail Mary's and do my laundry for his transgressions. Cool
djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:26 am
@thack45,
i get the bluetooth and driving thing, but when i lived in Toronto in the 80's it was mainly the slightly less than sane homeless people who went around the streets and stores talking to themselves, now it's everyone
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:33 am
This sort of thing has always annoyed me. In the early days of cell phones, people used to talk very loudly on their cell phones, so that everyone within range of their voice would know how cool they were for having a cell phone. It really irked me, and i swore i wouldn't be like that.

These days, cell phone users seem to have finally gotten the point about privacy, and they don't shout into their phones any longer. You see a lot of people in the texting/reading a text message posture, too. When my employment required that i use a cell phone (and provided it), i would put a message on my phone that i was driving (when i was going to be driving) to say that i was driving, and that i would not answer the phone, so they needed to leave a message. If i got a call when i was in a public place such as a restaurant or a coffee house, i'd go outside to take the call.

I'm no less prone to hypocrisy than anyone else, but the cell phone thing pissed me off so much, long before i had to carry one, that i made a special effort for that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:17 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Bear needs to do 20 Hail Mary's and do my laundry for his transgressions. Cool

The Cardinal of the Church of a2k approves your prescribed penitent:
http://www.duboiscatholic.com/cardinals/cards/bird_animated_sgl.gif
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:58 am
@djjd62,
The one nice thing about the blue tooth - now when I walk around talking to myself out loud - no one gives me a second look.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:34 am
This is supposed to be about MY sins, though I'm growling right now about the asshole sitting next to me in the theatre yesterday...

I was a late cell owner, so I'd already made my Rules based on irritation with other people blabbing in lines at restaurants and grocery stores...

I don't yak to friends in public and I only take calls from my children when I'm with someone. I make sure there's not an emergency, speak very briefly and tell them I'll call back - but I'm sure purists would argue that I shouldn't even answer the phone. I can't help it. I'll answer my kids in every situation but a job interview or at work - and would make a quick call from work between classes, just to make sure kids are ok. (I guess I'm a nutty alarmist with my kids...)

I would never be on the phone while dealing with a service provider in public. I'd never cause my cell light to come on in a theatre, but yeah...if I heard the buzz - I'd check to see if it was one of the bairns... Checking involves a light - and I try to shield it, but who am I kidding: it's distracting. If I got more than one buzz in a movie, I'd walk out to check. When it is one of my children, mea culpa, I excuse myself with a "sorry" and walk out to return the call... I wouldn't engage in texting in a theatre like the friggin Bozo who sat next to me yesterday.

So, I suppose I'm not the BEST cell Neighbor...but not the worst, either. If it helps (and it may not), I'm cognizant of infractions and apologetic... Confused
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:46 am
@Lash,
Lash... for your penance ... recite 20 Hail Mary's and recite the whole Rosary prayer 2.333 times a day for the next 5 business days.
0 Replies