Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:07 pm
With the discussion about adding some more "groups" I wanted to try out and see whether there is any interest in a woodworkers group . You know who you are sailor.
If its your first time, I promise to be gentle and I will certainly try to give you as much pleasure as my other wood forums have given me.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
I'm your foe on this, I think you just need to start a good thread, which this is.

You want the rest of us who don't subscribe to a woodworking area, including new folks who look here about pancakes or lawnmower widgets, to have to join an official group to participate about woodworking?

I'm lately from a big wood working area of California, and am remaining interested in it. Now you want to make it a door/chambered colony, not attracting anyone but those, say, with websites?

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I havent seen any interest here for a woodworking group. So why are you trying to stomp on my (sob) dream ?(sob)
Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:46 pm
@farmerman,
I'll help you follow your dream.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
Because I think woodworking interests a lot all of us. Or, at least, many.

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Look, Ive tried several attempts at getting a wordworking thread going to no avail. A group, perhaps pulling in several of the thousands of non participants on A2K's roster, may be the ticket.
We have far more people than participants. I think they just sit around and watch. COurse, this thread is sinking in the west.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
I see your point, I think.

But for me to follow it, I'd have to sign in as woodworking, one of my interests.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
@Intrepid,
You engaged in any woodworking projects? Im building several "Whaleback DVD shelves " to hang on either side of a fireplace hearth (The hearth sticks out in the room, with the chimneys actually inside the house masonary walls.(ITs an early building trick). SO the fireplace has two unused sides where I can hang these shelves and this will allow DVDs to be kept in one area and all are visible. Im using poplar and Ive milled it to about 5/8 thickness . The whaleback is copied from a colonial shelving set I saw at Shelbourne Museum up in Nova SCotia. The canadians like to just show bare wood and the colonial AMericans would never have had bare wood except on highboys or tables or blanket chests. So Ill be painting these shelves oon a faux layered paint that will be a dull greenish grey over a brick red which will show at customary wear spots.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
I have an interest in woodworking, but am not engaged in any interesting projects. If this thread takes off, I will at least read along.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:44 pm
@farmerman,
I sat on my roof, looked over venice roofs and the ocean, and carved a plank and ruined it with one blade swipe, late into the project. Learning process.

I'm all for woodworking here.

I just don't think it needs to be a homunculus colony.

I suppose I should show my mangled wood carving effort at a cat, but that'd take some scanning if it can fit in the scanner.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
so, you got a biscuit joiner...?

(I needa borrow one)
talk72000

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:50 pm
Jesus' father was a carpenter.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:07 pm
Well, Farmer's point is that we have an online place to ourselves.

I remember waiting 5o minutes before any one else showed up, many of the weeks. This is not a hobby. Sometimes the chat was fulgent, but I was a waiter to welcome and it was a dullard on my sunday afternoon.

What was good out of all that? talks with Hebba, and others.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:22 pm
@Rockhead,
My biskit jointer has seen minimal use. I like dovetails or dado/rabbet joints mostly.

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:23 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Jesus' father was a carpenter.
Jesus never consented to a paternity DNA test.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:23 pm
@farmerman,
I like a 20 oz hammer and a few 16d nails.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:24 pm
@farmerman,
I am not familiar with the whaleback. I do like to use poplar for many projects and usually end up painting it. The last shelves that I made were for the kids bedrooms. I used oak with a natural stain in one room and painted pine in another. I routed the edges of the shelves and made fancy supports with routed edges for attachement to the walls.

Are your shelves anything like this?
http://www.iwood4u.com/images/Shelves/P4160423a.JPG
Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I like a 20 oz hammer and a few 16d nails.

I too like a 20 oz hammer. Although, I prefer it more for demolition and such rather than fine woodworking.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Sometimes the chat was fulgent,
You have to do a pwrfect act of contrition for that
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:26 pm
@Intrepid,
And caulk. I forgot the caulk.