Joyce Carol Oates....how good is she?

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:45 pm
@Pemerson,
Aaaaah!!! The trouble with me in reading those sorts of books is they have to be pretty extreme or they're just like a day at work, and I don't need to PAY to get that!

But I'll give her a go.

There was a previous thread, eh?

I'll try searching for it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:49 pm
@dlowan,
A loooonnnnggggg time ago, before I left Detroit in 1976, I read an article that claimed that many novels supposedly by famous writers were actually ghost-written by graduate students. Supposedly, the later works of an American laureate which were markedly dissimilar from early works were all ghost ridden.

The story was probably in the Detroit Free Press or the Detroit NEws. The first American winner was Sinclair Lewis in 1930, followed six years later by Eugene O'Neill (who couldn't have been included in the dodderers who were ghosted as he was not a novelist) and Pearl Buck in 1938. T. S. Eliot who is described as British/American won in 1948 but he was a poet. Faulkner won the next year.

Hemingway was the only American to win during the '50s, while Steinbeck was America's sole laureate in the '60s. Bellow won the year I left Detroit, so he couldn't have been the one referred to.

Lewis, Buck, Faulkner, Hemingway and Steinbeck. So, how many would believe the story? Who might have fueled a ghost-writer industry? Frankly, do you think this story grew out of a distrust of/dislike for change?

I loved The Good Earth but hated the one other Buck opus I tried to read: something about people possibly building a bomb with a tough Air Force officer doodling the profile of the only woman on the committee in his notes.

Heminway? Steinbeck? Travels with Charlie in no way resembles The Grapes of Wrath!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 05:22 pm
Eleven months after the death of her first husband, Oates married a neuroscientist. Who would have thought old Joyce was a sex pistol?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:54 pm
@Miller,
Are neuroscientists sexy? Do they deserve red hot mamas for wives?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:13:31