Friends don't let friends fat-talk

Below viewing threshold (view)
failures art

Mon 18 Oct, 2010 06:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Personally, I find obesity repugnant and a product of gluttony, however I would never endorse any government efforts to control obesity.

Good Lord can we not get fat if we want to?

This is how it goes:

I don't like fat people --- let the government stop people from being fat
I don't like smokers --- let the government stop people from smoking
I don't like religion ---- let the government stop people from going to church

Sooner or later they will want to prohibit your behaviors.

No Finn. This is NOT how it goes. People can discourage smoking without making it illegal. Certainly this is the case. Nobody is proposing making going to church illegal let alone using fat talk. This is a huge red herring.

A
R
T
djjd62

Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:02 am
@failures art,
i'd back making church illegal*, can we get that on a ballot or something

* note i didn't say religion
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 18 Oct, 2010 01:53 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My god some fools gave a neg vote of 6 for the following post!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
They are trying to used the tax system to control the lower economic classes and now even sugar drinks should be tax more as a sin tax.

Middle class and above can just pay the extra money the lower classes are less able to do so.

Some people are smoking something that must be harming their brain cells.
Maybe, if u wrote it this way
(my typing in red):

Quote:
They are trying to use the tax system to control the lower economic classes
and now even sugar drinks shoud be taxed more as a sin tax.

Middle class and above can just pay the extra money; the lower classes are less able to do so.
0 Replies

aidan

Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:51 am
@aidan,
Quote:
My question is: When did everyone decide they had to model themselves after everyone else and live up to some sort of one-size-fits-all image?

I think it's very, very sad.

although it can also be the basis for humor- I thought this was funny - but then I think all the Onion satires are funny - even the one about old people who are scammed into thinking they're dead.

But this one addresses my concern - and it's becoming noticeably obvious in our society.
I was in a pub with a friend of mine in a university town in Wales and it was a Friday or Saturday night and all the girls were pouring in at one time and they all looked the SAME! I said to my friend, 'Geez - how would someone even pick one out from the pack? They all wear their hair the same, they all dress the same...I guess there's less and less power in a first visual impression these days:

'I just keep thinking this could have been me....was it?'
Laughing Laughing Laughing
babsatamelia

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 04:57 pm
I've watched firsthand as my youngest daughter struggles with the erroneous concept in her mind that she is FAT (and she's 39 years old now) but, it is so ridiculous; she is not...not at all. But in her younger prepubescent years she was a little chubby and an older male cousin used to call her names like piglet, fatso, and make fun of her whenever she ate anything. He's tried to apologize to her in adulthood - but such things are very,very damaging to an individual's personal image of themselves. I think it's great to cease talking about a person's outsides, it's so very superficial anyway.
hawkeye10

Sat 10 Dec, 2011 05:12 pm
@babsatamelia,
Quote:
I think it's great to cease talking about a person's outsides, it's so very superficial anyway.
So long as you are making the choice for you great, but you dont get a say in what I care about.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:26 am
@aidan,
Quote:
and all the girls were pouring in at one time and they all looked the SAME! I said to my friend, 'Geez - how would someone even pick one out from the pack?

I used to look them in the eye and see how they reacted. I'm retired now though. What a relief.
0 Replies

carlosc2dbz

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:59 am
@hawkeye10,
We should probably focus more on encouraging healthy living and exercise as a movement across diffrent campuses instead of starting a movement where we are banning fat talk.
vikorr

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:32 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
Yep, I can't agree with this statement enough.

There's a world of difference between spending money & effort on 'banning abuse' (or in this weird case, compliments too) as compared to spending that time and effort on educating people on the happiness benefits of healthy eating and healthy lifestyle.

My issue with the 'ban to protect' has always been that it creates a victim mentality, rather than a self-responsibility mentality. A self responsibility mentality strives to know yourself better, look after yourself better, be ever more genuine, and learn how to deal with abuse in a way that maintains self-respect and respect for others - but a victim mentality is deathly to self-responsibility and the personal growth that accompanies it (self-responsibility)

The results can be seen in the anti bullying campaign - which if they'd taught people how to grow their self esteem, how to assert themselves, and how to deal with bullying - the results in individuals lives would be much more positive.

It can be seen in people who claim medical reasons for being overweight, but your weight is a mathematical formula : energy in vs energy out = weight gain or loss. Taking responsbility recognises this. It also recognises that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and that we can accept, but work on our weaknesses if we so choose.

There are plenty of other areas where this 'battle' can, and will be seen.

Ie it's a battle in ideology between efforts that seem to so often create a victim mentality, as compared to efforts that empower peoples lives.

P.S. I'm not saying that education shouldn't play a part in informing people of the problems with certain actions & use of words (for this does have importance), but that the major effort should truly be towards helping people learn to handle difficulties/conflict, life, and personal growth
hawkeye10

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:16 pm
@vikorr,
victims are easy to victimize, empowered people not so much. the motivation for the creation of victim culture is solved!
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:25 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
carlosc2dbz wrote:

We should probably focus more on encouraging healthy living and exercise as a movement across diffrent campuses instead of starting a movement where we are banning fat talk.

damn straight
0 Replies

Wilso

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 01:24 am
http://i62.tinypic.com/9i65uq.jpg
spendius

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 03:36 am
@Wilso,
It's socially acceptable for a woman to reject a man for any reason that takes her fancy and men can suit themselves about it.

It's the fundamental principle of evolution.
farmerman

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 05:37 am
@spendius,
but there hasn't been enough water for evolution to have occured
spendius

Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:14 am
@farmerman,
Does "occured" represent the all-healing qualities of Marx's organic composition of capital.

I was only commenting upon Wilso's misogynistic pleading which I assume you share.

0 Replies