God doesn't exist, but the genesis is a true story....

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Only if you think in terms of naive-realism.
More silliness. YOU made up all the postulates. Were you to remove all the supernatural stuff that supposedly underpins the Bible, you are only left with the assertions of a bunch of authors. Their assertions are easily dismissed by evidence. SO whats "Naive realism" got do do with anything.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
@Cyracuz,
Think of the whole think as an allegory and you'll be fine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:44 am
@farmerman,
Boys got postulates'? . . . there's no need for that in this day of modern medicine . . . he should see a dermatologist . . .
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:55 am
@Setanta,
I dont wanna hear no **** from an ilk.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:56 am
You already said i was a caravan, and not no ilk . . . git yer story straight.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Old age dude. Ive forgotten what I had for supper last night.
Oh yeh, It was butternut squash

What was the question?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:40 am
@farmerman,
Myths are not literal history, they are allegorical expressions of cultural beliefs emerging through time. To make such things subject to the burden of evidence is the silliness, even though it is in response of the even greater folly of believing in it as literal history.
Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
The silliness here is embodied in the idiot-child thesis of this thread.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
@Setanta,
Cyracuz seems to be circling round and round.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:52 am
@farmerman,
The way this is written Cyr may not be referring to Genesis at all; he keeps talking about "the genesis" without specifying of what.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 04:22 pm
@High Seas,
I am referring to the biblical genesis. It's a creation myth.
It seems impossible to have a philosophical discussion about this particular myth, as it invariably gets reduced to a question of evidence and how it obviously doesn't make sense.
I wonder if the same people who cannot relate to it because it doesn't conform to their modern understanding of reason... I wonder how they read Shakespeare... Do they stop every other sentence to moan because it is not written correctly according to modern grammar?

But I will not argue that this whole idea was ill founded and more or less fruitless, since it did not generate the response I was hoping for. Faceplant...
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
@Cyracuz,
NOBODY has asserted that "A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM" is real (Youve seemed to have anbandoned that connection to your thread title)

Genesis has a whole batch of people who want us to believe that its literally true. If ya now call it a myth, I have no problem. However, thats not where you started this thread.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
You are right about that. I didn't really think anyone would assume that I actually believe in the bible as literal truth if I am proposing that god is not real. Perhaps I should have been clearer. I meant real as allegory, not literally real. But my interest in it IS as a creation myth, and the excersise of removing god from it was to see if it could give meaningful interpretation... Perhaps that is as subjective as any meaning derived from these stories..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:09 am
As cosmogony, it doesn't work without the god joker. As cosmogony, it's confused and contradictory. I suspect a close review of almost all cosmogonies would reveal the same problems. When Amerindians have magical turtles or other such creatures piling mud up above the waters, and creating all the critters and the people, it rather painfully begs the question of where the water and the mud came from.

I really don't see how any cosmogony is "useful" in any sense other than as an ethnological curiosity.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:43 am
@Setanta,
don't **** with the giant turtle, buddy...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:55 am
By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@Setanta,
and of the song by brothers SMothers
this trochaic tetrammeter
sing they did and here I quotem,
..."He killed the noble Mudjokivis.
Of the skin he made him mittens,
Made them with the fur side inside,
Made them with the skin side outside.
He, to get the warm side inside,
Put the inside skin side outside;
He to get the cold side outside
Put the warm side fur side inside.
That's why he put the fur side inside,
Why he put the skin side outside,
Why he turned them inside outside"

0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 08:47 pm

god doesn't exist

genesis only matters to those who are religious
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
If you paid attention to the text as you read it, you will find that God is a metaphor for truth. This has everything to do with what the book is about, judgment, which is effected through language skills.
It is Truth that created every thing. It is Truth that is all powerful, etc., etc.,
i.e. the simple sentence is true when it makes a correct assertion.
The Wizzard is gone, long live the Wizzard.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:37 pm
@NoOne phil,
I would say that that is one way to understand the genesis without the personified entity God who plays a part in the great play about how a human being percieves the world.

But you are essentially just swapping words, and I would rather you just called it "god", and did not attempt to sell "truth" as some transcendent ideal which we uncover with ever increasing accuracy. "True" is a value we assign to assertations that give meaning within our perception.