mind, body and soul

Etude

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:22 pm
it's very easy to define the 'body'. a mere machine for physical actions that requires maintenance to function and subject to growth and decay. i called it a machine because it also serves as an vehicle for the mind and soul's commands and will.

however difficulty arises when it comes to defining the mind or soul. it's abstractness makes it slippery to grasp the core understanding of these terms.

if you have an idea, an opinion, or just had a sudden revelation, please feel free to post a comment or two.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,707 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:27 pm
@Etude,
As long as we're using the analogy of a machine (i.e. the body as servo-mechanism), then the mind is the microchip in the machine which enables the body to function properly. And the soul? Well, if you believe in the existence of such a thing, it is the esse, the noumina of the organism (as opposed to the phaenomena.)
NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 04:07 pm
I could get into Buddhist concepts of the oneness of mind and body, the eternity of life, death and rebirth and all that but it would take too long and I don't have the time.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
@NickFun,
See 'The Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch' for a complete discussion of wu-hsin or 'no-mind.'
0 Replies

Etude

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:13 pm
@Merry Andrew,
thanx! that's a good'n, probably the best'n!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:31 pm
@NickFun,
Wasn't it Hui Neng, the sixth patriot, who said "No matter, never mind"?
0 Replies

G H

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:27 am
@Etude,
Quote:
it's very easy to define the 'body'. a mere machine for physical actions that requires maintenance to function and subject to growth and decay. i called it a machine because it also serves as an vehicle for the mind and soul's commands and will. however difficulty arises when it comes to defining the mind or soul. it's abstractness makes it slippery to grasp the core understanding of these terms. if you have an idea, an opinion, or just had a sudden revelation, please feel free to post a comment or two.

If you're going to admit that there's a physical body, then further research about it is going reveal the almost all-consuming depth of its processes in producing outward displays of behaviour and consciousness about its environment. The only thing left for 'mind', then, would not be commanding or willing the body to do this or that, but maybe "translating" some of the corresponding neural operations of the brain into various manifestations or phenomenal experiences (visual images, odours, etc.). And that's only an opening if science continues to not care a flip about satisfactorily explaining such, or is unable to do so even it does eventually care.

Although a case against epiphenomenalism or asymmetrical property dualism might be made from the standpoint of asking: How the devil could the brain and its body be addressing the presence of such manifestations in the first place if they have no return effect upon it? Is it simply engaging in fictitious talk or storytelling, and yet by incredibly prolonged coincidence there happen to be experiences actually parallel (in some manner) to the physical processes, so that its stories are accidentally true? ("I see the extended image of a yellow house." . . . "The world is exhibited to me rather than existing in dark and silence.")
0 Replies