So what's more important - sleep or exercise?

55hikky

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:26 pm
@Ceili,
so according to your logic, you are care about what i said; good to know we have some people we aren't self centered and ignorant of reality and divested from the issues plaguing the world. I just want people like this, who quarrel about these "issues" to grow up, and eventually become humans.

But i don't understand your second half of your sentence, I am thinking about the welfare of the world, while this person can't even solve a conundrum of exercise or sleep in his little life he feels that he is in control of, and you're calling me the asshole, interesting logic. So I'm guessing all great men are referred to as assholes in your rational? in that case, you're an asshole too!!

-55hikky
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:27 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

If you don't ******* care, don't ******* answer asshole.
quite an appropriate answer and well stated.
55hikky

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:31 pm
@dyslexia,
i see this website is no longer has any reminiscence of PhilosophyForum, where insight, open mind, Benevolence towards humanity, answers, and moral progress is no longer the objective... but questions with nature akin to "black or white socks" are asked, and answered passionately... how distant we have come from being humans...

-55h
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:33 pm
@55hikky,
get lost loser. Of course we all care about other crap - but what the hell good am I if I get sick or the like.

I certainly am not complaining about cleaning and crap - I built my bed and I'll sleep in it. Just explaining why I have little time for sleep and exercise and seeking out advice from the kind people on here.

Not from some a$$hole that only wants to complain because some people got it good and maybe enjoys making improvements in their lives. You don't even know the half of what I do for others even if a busy and fulfilling family life.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
And seeing you are so ignorant - you can't tell when some one is making fun of you ....
dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:38 pm
@55hikky,
Quote:
i see this website is no longer has any reminiscence of PhilosophyForum
keen insight, from what direction does the sun rise in your neighborhood?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I might be able to - I should any way - I work in a lonnnnnggggg building - it used to be some sort of warehouse, I believe it was a fish warehouse at it is located on the old fish piers.

Any way - once I walk into the building it is a good walk to my desk - I mean we are at the opposite end of this long pier from where you get into from security. So any walk outside requires a nice long walk just to get to my desk.

During the summer when it would be super hot here, I'd make due with inside walks.
First, I'd harness a horse collar around my neck, and attach it to these blocks of sandstone, that sat on rollers. As I started down the hallway on my floor, I'd toss groats on the ground, so as the rollers and rock passed over them, they would press them flat. On the way back, I would gather them up, since they would be my dinner.

I'd drag the sandstone up one flight, where there is a construction company. We had an arrangement that for every block, they would give me a liter of potable water, and a tablespoon of salt.

Before walking home 10 miles, I'd put the groats, water and salt into a goat stomach I'd turned into a guney sack. The sloshing and heat would cook my meal of the day adequately enough by the time I got home.

Now that the weather's cooler, I just go for a walk around the neighborhood at around 8pm, with my hiking poles.
Diane

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@55hikky,
So ceili should become Mother Theresa inbetween household, job and planning for her children? How about she moves to India. Would that be more important than taking care of her family?

Christ on a stick, where do you come from? If you live in India, helping the poor, living in poor neighborhoods, you have my apology. And if you have to take care of a family, making sure your children have a full and productive life, I will not only aplogize, I will toss in a genuflect.
55hikky

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:50 pm
@Linkat,
ill entertain you...
Linkat wrote:

get lost loser. Of course we all care about other crap - but what the hell good am I if I get sick or the like.

if being sick or like is that important, than the question isn't which, but both obviously, make cuts in other places. be smart, what YOU think, how YOU solve it is the value, not the right answer you seem to be seeking from beings among this forum.
Quote:

Not from some a$$hole that only wants to complain because some people got it good and maybe enjoys making improvements in their lives. You don't even know the half of what I do for others even if a busy and fulfilling family life.

you enjoy making improvements in your life? then you do you even bother participating in activities that you "do for others". which is it? is it about you? or about the society and mankind as a whole? you have a fulfilling famly life? according to what standards? western, asian, yous? your values seem to lie delicately scattered about among you, family, and 'others'. Which one may say you are a "balanced," not over extending yourself to the extremes, but when you put the issue of health; sleep and exercise, note that you won't be able to fulfill any of your virtues and integrity which defines you. so instead of asking exercise or sleep, why don't you concentrate on both of those primarily, with the sacrifice of the other two (family and others ) and when you have fulfilled the duties to yourself, reengage in the others. when questions that deal with health is questioned, it indicates that either your values are ill proportioned and narrow minded, where you value other things beyond yourself, or you are very virtuous and dutiful person where you value other things at the cost of the self. I'll assume you are the latter, and if this is the case it is only YOU that can decide what to supress to which degree to reinvigorate yourself, not some alien sentient being from god knows where with god knows what age. you should be the one that tells us how you handled it.
-end-
-55hikky
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 03:05 pm
@55hikky,
55h

serious suggestion.

why not start another thread to discuss this type of thing?

From what I know of linkat, she's done less than most to destroy the world we're in. Plus, I know she works very hard for her family, and takes good care of them.

In any event, the posts you've made certainly aren't productive, and you aren't making suggestions about helping her, or the world in general.

I'd like to ask you, if you open another thread, so this one won't be derailed..."what are you personally doing to help the world?"

Perhaps you'll inspire others.
jespah

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 04:14 pm
Linkat, I know the area and of course know the building.

When I worked there, used to take about, I dunno, 15, 20 minutes and walk to the end of the pier area, past restaurants, parking lots and the like. It's flat and somewhat scenic. It's just to get out and away a bit.

The parking lot and dog walking both work for exercise of course but they hardly work for sanity time, which a touch of pier walking could be.

Good luck to your daughter on her tourney. Are there any parents you can share carpooling duties with? That might give you an occasional break.

Hang in there.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:58 pm
@Linkat,
Oddly enough, the stage you are passing through could be the most memorable for you as a parent. I think of those hectic years, miss it all. Seems the more you do the more you can do. But, I always exercised, I mean going somewhere for an hour to work out, take Yoga, maybe palates today. Makes you feel better, you'll have more energy too. I used to teach just good old calesthenics (mispelled?)

And, yeah, everybody feels guilty about the starving people, wherever they are. I wonder why it wasn't enough for that person, 55hikky, that you assured him/her you do your part when it comes to helping others.

Enjoy your busy family, you must have earned it, else you wouldn't have it.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:40 pm
@Linkat,
Then it would be excersize.

The greatest amount of beneficial hormones and enzymes processes are due to excersize, however you might be prone to cancer more easily deprived from regular sleep.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:28 pm
You need the sleep - definitely! It has first priority!
You seem to get enough exercise during the day and if possible, you could walk
the stairs to your office and not take the elevator. Take 30 min for lunch and
walk outside your building and you're fit an more energized.
sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 09:32 am
@CalamityJane,
Saw this in today's paper and thought of you:

Quote:
Trying to get rid of that extra fat? Sleep in.

It may sound counterintuitive, but a study that randomly assigned dieters to different sleep regimens found that participants allowed only five and a half hours in bed at night lost less flab than those who spent eight and a half hours in bed and got more sleep.

The total amount of weight loss did not differ — both groups lost about six and a half pounds over two weeks — but the optimal outcome of a diet is to lose fat, not muscle, researchers said.

The sleep-deprived participants felt hungrier than the others, and had higher levels of ghrelin, a hormone that drives appetite, the study found.

“The bottom line is that if people are trying to diet and lose weight for health reasons, it makes sense to get a sufficient amount of sleep,” said Dr. Plamen D. Penev, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Chicago and the senior author of the study, which is being published Tuesday in Annals of Internal Medicine. “If they’re not getting enough sleep as they diet, they may have higher levels of hunger and be struggling to adhere to the regimen.”

The study was small, including only 10 adults; they lived in a clinical research center for weeks at a time so their exercise, food intake and sleep schedules could be tightly controlled and monitored.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/health/research/05behavior.html
sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
@sozobe,
("You" = linkat, even though I replied to CJane.)
George

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 09:52 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
You need the sleep - definitely! It has first priority!

Absolutely agree.

Sleep is a weapon.

I've been lucky enough to work at places that have shower facilities
available or a gym very close by. Thus I don't have to waste my lunch
hour on lunch. I can have a jog, hit the showers, and get back to work.

Would that be a possibility for you?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:40 am
@chai2,
Great idea - when it gets below zero around here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:44 am
@chai2,
thanks - some one has to rant and rave to feel important.

I'd like to know what this person has done for others (besides rant and rave and complain). I've actually have - and most times I don't know who I am helping.

Actually after hearing the rant - I think it has influenced me to cause the ultimate destruction of the world.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
@jespah,
Well hubby and I take turns bringing the monster to practice. We both like to go to the tournaments. I love seeing her play. You can tell she loves it. Actually her team is pretty bad I hate to say, however, my daughter does wonderful. She is the star (yes I am bragging a bit - and will be harassed all the more by bonehead for it) on her team. I know this because she plays the most and it is obvious.

They have only won one game so far, but they always seem to come back and just fall short. I do think with some more practice they will get better.
0 Replies