So what's more important - sleep or exercise?

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:37 am
If you are already sleep deprived - meaning you get less than 8 hours of sleep (and I need 8 hours to feel completely rested) and you also have little time for exercise....which would be better health-wise: getting an hour less sleep and getting in some exercise? Or getting the sleep?

This would be for some one who is relatively healthy - meaning no health issues and no weight issues.

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
@Linkat,
Why are you getting less than 8 hours of sleep? If you lay in bed for hours on end but can't sleep then I'd say get some exercise -- it will help alleviate the anxiety and stress that is keeping you awake. OTOH, if you're going full-tilt until midnight and have to get up at 6 in order to do it all again the next day then carving out an hour for exercise is only going to add to your stress.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 10:56 am
@JPB,
More of the latter. By the time I get kids in bed, there is clean up of dinner/folding and washing clothes, etc and sometimes work that I bring home - I get to bed after 10pm. I usually don't have trouble going to sleep because I am so exhausted from the day. I need to get up by 6:00 to get the dog out, take a shower and then get the kids ready for school.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
@Linkat,
And your husband, does he share chores?
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
@ossobuco,
Most definately. He usually irons the clothes for the girls. He will cook and/or clean up from dinner. We both have a full schedule. And so do the kids.

To top it off our older daughter is in AAU basketball which requires great planning. She has practice 3 times a week (which we need to coordinate to make sure she gets there) and is in tournaments most weekends. In order to maintain her academics (which we require if she wants to continue with basketball), it takes all of us as a family to plan well.

Our younger daughter isn't quite so demanding - her school work is less and she has soccer after school once a week with a game once a week.

Just normal living. But yes - husband does share in chores and getting stuff ready as well.
55hikky

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:12 am
What do i eat tonight is a better question linkat...
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
@Linkat,
The one thing - I may get some exercise because it seems I am always running from place to place. I have a good 10 minute fast paced walk back and forth to my car from where I park. And I guess walking the dog helps as well. I usually walk first thing in the morning, hubby usually takes the late night walk and between us and the kids a variation through the rest of the day.

I don't stop until bed which is why I fall asleep so easily.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
@55hikky,
I have enough problems with scheduling crap through out my day - think I can come up with your dinner planning as well?!
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:22 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The one thing - I may get some exercise because it seems I am always running from place to place. I have a good 10 minute fast paced walk back and forth to my car from where I park. And I guess walking the dog helps as well. I usually walk first thing in the morning, hubby usually takes the late night walk and between us and the kids a variation through the rest of the day.

I don't stop until bed which is why I fall asleep so easily.

Based on this, I'd say you'd benefit more from extra sleep.

You walk several times a day, can you add in another 10 or 15 minutes over lunch?

How about when you go to the rest room, instead of going right back to the office, you take a brisk walk up and down the hall?

Smokers take a smoke break, you're entitled to a walk break.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:25 am
@Linkat,
Oh, that's good.
How about lunch time at work? I'm thinking that back when I had a crazy busy schedule, I would walk at lunch and eat a sandwich at some point on the walk.. But, I was spoiled in that going out the door from work was easy, and the beach was two blocks away.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:26 am
@Linkat,
Ah, so you do walk, good.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Is there any time in your day/week that is just Linkat time? Does your morning dog walk allow you to step back from the stress of life or are you just hoping he'll hurry up and do his business so you can get ready for work?

Exercise should be you time. The walks to and from the parking lot certainly count as exercise, but I don't see those as times when you're not tuned in to work/obligations. When do you get Linkat time?
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 11:45 am
I just walked around the outside of the building, down one slope, up another.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:17 pm
@Linkat,
I'm pondering what you wrote and wonder if it is time for yourself you need instead of more sleep or walking?

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:28 pm
@chai2,
I might be able to - I should any way - I work in a lonnnnnggggg building - it used to be some sort of warehouse, I believe it was a fish warehouse at it is located on the old fish piers.

Any way - once I walk into the building it is a good walk to my desk - I mean we are at the opposite end of this long pier from where you get into from security. So any walk outside requires a nice long walk just to get to my desk.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Often times I work and eat at my desk (while on A2k of course) - I think the long walk from security and entering the building kind of keeps me from going out more, but considering this would be for my own health - a 15 minute/30 minute quick walk would be nice.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:31 pm
@JPB,
Driving to and from work is what I consider Linkat time. I put on the radio and zone (oh, I do watch traffic). I guess that is why I don't mind the traffic so much.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:32 pm
My doctor actually said I was in great shape. She didn't seem too worried about the lack of exercise, I was just wondering if it would be helpful to give up an hour of sleep to get some more exercise in.

I used to be in incredible shape. Before kids - I worked out 4 times a week. Now I am lucky to get in one hour of planned workout.
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:06 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
More of the latter. By the time I get kids in bed, there is clean up of dinner/folding and washing clothes, etc and sometimes work that I bring home - I get to bed after 10pm. I usually don't have trouble going to sleep because I am so exhausted from the day. I need to get up by 6:00 to get the dog out, take a shower and then get the kids ready for school.

..not you, the other 80% of the world population deal with aids, deficit of water and food, and you're biggest question is sleep or exercise!? give me a break sir.
you have kids that have beds, you have dinner to clean up after, you have clothes to fold, you have work, so much that you can do that at home, and you have a home. you are so filthy in your possessions you choose to feed and house a dog, and live in a society with such stable morals that you can take it out on a walk.... dude GET THE BIGGER PICTURE you're a tiny guy obsession over "more sleep or exercise"
all i hear is "am i more ignorant or oblivious" who the f*** cares if you get a hour more sleep or an hour more exercise; appreciate what you have and why don't you try and do something about the world if you're going to complain about all the commodities you possess

-55h
Ceili

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:11 pm
@55hikky,
If you don't ******* care, don't ******* answer asshole.