Token from a Speakeasy? How Can I Find Out?

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:09 am
At the bottom of a small metal box that was in my mother's house, I found a variety of coins--and one token. I've been able to find out about the coins, but I've not had any luck with the token.

It says Joe and Charlie's 21 Club on one side and there's a hand pointing with an address on the other.

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,115 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:17 am
Boida- Ya mean that ya neva hoid of the "21 Club"? Sheesh...... and ya call yerself a Noo Yawka!

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/onyc_c1a_history.jsp
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
What's the address??? Mebbe we can poke around and see what pops up? Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:37 am
fishin'- 21 W. 52nd Street. At one time, it was considered THE place to go. It was the restaurant of socialites, celebrities, and various and sundry power brokers. No, I have never been inside. Too pricey! Crying or Very sad

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/onyc_a2a_home.jsp
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:50 am
Yup. I'm aware of that one Phoenix. I was just wondering if it is the same 21 Club. A quick search on google shows at least three 21 Clubs in NYC.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:58 am
fishin' - Roberta mentions "Joe and Charlie". I got this from the history link that I posted:

Quote:
Over three-quarters of a century ago, Congress passed the Act that ushered in the Prohibition Era. In New York, as in every American city, 'speakeasies' mushroomed, but none was more celebrated than 'Jack and Charlie's '21', founded by two collegian cousins from the West Side, Jack Kriendler and Charlie Berns.

"Joe" could be Jack. I think that it is too much of a coincidence.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:17 am
We should try to track down MarleyFrances. She might know something about this.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:19 am
Phoenix is right. It is that 21. Jack and Charlie's. I didn't have the token in front of me when I wrote the post. Now I do. One one side it says, "Jack & Charlie's 21 West Fifty Second Street. On the other side it says, "All right. You pay. 21." There's an arrow.

Phoenix querida. Of course I've heard of the 21 Club. I've been there. I used to work in the neighborhood. I know that the token relates to that place. I just don't know anything about the token. Is it from the days of speakeasies? Is it worth anything? How does a person find out?
Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:27 am
ehbeth, I could easily contact Marley. She's knows about this kind of stuff?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:28 am
Wow, this was a great thread.

Something like this make these forums very worthwhile.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:30 am
Roberta - get MarleyFrances to talk to you about her dad and uncle. This is definitely the kind of place they would have performed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
Okey dokey. I'll drop her a line. But is it worth anything?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 01:01 pm
There was a book written on the both of them called..... The Iron Gate of Jack & Charlie's "21'.

The Publisher was the Jack Kriendler Memorial Foundation (1950)

I'd say it probably had some worth to it. Try Ebay and find a coin collector in there to ask your question to. Most don't mind answering and might find someone that knows what you have.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:50 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, MMS. I'll venture into eBay. Never been there.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:26 pm
Soooooo. Whatcha find out?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:23 pm
Nuttin', Joe. I've been sick. And there's been a serious illness in the family. I did try to get info on eBay, but I had trouble getting in.

I'll get to it. And I'll let you know what I find out. That's a promise.
0 Replies

cinreed

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 09:38 am
@Roberta,
I have a coin also 1st edition of charlie berns and jack kriendler proprietors of the Great American Restaurant Series 21 Club New York Est 1930 anyone have addl info...I would appreciate. Thanks
Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:08 pm
@cinreed,
cinreed, I never followed up on this, so I have no info for you. My life got rather complicated after I started this thread, and I forgot all about the token.

Thanks for bringing it up again. If I found out anything, I'll post the info here.
0 Replies

kerrysue

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:54 am
@Roberta,
have the same coin any info as to the value of this coin?
Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:53 pm
@kerrysue,
kerrysue wrote:

have the same coin any info as to the value of this coin?

Sorry, kerrysue, I never pursued this. Interesting to learn there's another one of these tokens out there.
0 Replies