TASER (Stun Gun); Drive mode versus Probe Mode

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 05:50 pm
An acquittance of mine was recently "tased". Having a Master's in Electrical Engineering, I grew curious as to how the Taser functions. I understand charging mechanisms, high voltage, resistance, impedance, E=IR, etc. I started inquiring as to the difference between Drive (Dry) Stun mode and Probe mode.

I realize Probe mode, by the simplest definition, means probes were deployed from the Taser cartridge. Thus allowing energy to travel down copper wires into the probes and through body tissue/muscles to complete a circuit. Additionally, I understand that in Drive mode, the probes come in contact with the skin and do not penetrate, thus causing the circuit to be complete through the surface of your skin or by the "arc" occurring through air.

I was bothered by the fact that literature I have read infers that Drive Stun mode can be accomplished with the probes deployed (penetrating skin) and the cartridge still attached. Articles suggest that by having the exposed probes (hard attached to the gun) after the cartridge has been deployed will allow Drive stun mode. I believe the energy will seek the path of less resistance and travel through the wires, the penetrated skin and through tissue/muscle before arcing through air (by means of the probes that are hard attached to the gun).

Can anyone provide insight as to what I am missing?