Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 04:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Gene was gay wasnt he?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 04:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Gene was gay wasnt he?
I thought the gay one was zorro. something about a blade.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Gene was gay wasnt he?

First I ever heard that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 05:34 pm
If Gene was gay it's news to me. But I was surprised several years ago to read the assertion that Randolph Scott was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Gene was gay wasnt he?
I have no idea if he was or not.
ragnel

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 08:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
I Googled Gene Autry because I always thought Alan Autry (Bubba in Heat of the Night) was his son. I was wrong. Gene had no children though he was married twice.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:26 pm
I had heard talk about Randolph Scott but not Gene Autry. I loved Champion. Didn't know he had his own show. He wasn't stuffed, was he?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:25 am
@edgarblythe,
There were always rumors about Randolph Scott and Cary Grant, sharing a house in Hollywood when they were young men. But I absolutely, positively refuse to believe that Cary Grant was gay and that's all to it in my book.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:48 am
@eoe,
I have not seen proof any of these people were gay. Just saw a few quotes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:09 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

There were always rumors about Randolph Scott and Cary Grant, sharing a house in Hollywood when they were young men. But I absolutely, positively refuse to believe that Cary Grant was gay and that's all to it in my book.
I remember hearing Erroll Flynn and Rock Hudson were both gay. I think it was true about Rock Hudson but I'm not sure if it was true about Erroll Flynn. I loved the pirate movies he did! I love this thread. It is bringing back so many wonderful memories.
eoe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:01 am
@Arella Mae,
Definitely true about Rock Hudson. And I've heard the rumors about Errol Flynn as well as Tyrone Power but edgar, how would we ever have any proof??? Well, poor Rock Hudson provided proof in the end I guess.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:11 am
Returning to tv characters from gay movie star speculation.

Chester Riley in the Life of Riley (William Bendix). I liked his neighbor Gilles too.

And the Fonz. Not the greatest character ever. But certainly memorable.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:16 am
@Roberta,
The Fonz (Henry Winkler) indirectly created the nightmare scenario for most sitcoms and television dramas.

He's deeply embedded with the association that's the dreadful television concept jumping the shark:

Quote:
jump the shark 1533 up, 113 down

[ A] term to describe a moment when somethin that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show.
Cousin Oliver on Brady Bunch, Scrappy Doo.
Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
The Fonz jumped over a shark that was waterskiing? Seems to me a waterskiing shark is something to see.
eoe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:17 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Returning to tv characters from gay movie star speculation.

Chester Riley in the Life of Riley (William Bendix). I liked his neighbor Gilles too.

And the Fonz. Not the greatest character ever. But certainly memorable.

I know. How did we ever slip into that??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
@Roberta,
Sorry about the vague cut and paste job.

For some reason in this episode, Fonzie decides to pull off some public waterskiing stunt that has Fonzie waterski up a ramp to jump over a shark.
Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:19 am
@tsarstepan,
From my perspective, shark, shmark. Waterskiing in a leather jacket was a lower point. (Thanks for the clarification.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:51 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't remember why Fonzie did it but I do remember him doing it. LOL! I have to laugh. All that suspense music!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:33 pm
@Arella Mae,
That clip and the episode (perhaps the entire television show) reeked of so much cheesiness that I have to stomp down the urge to thumb down my own post out of spite for that clip!
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is "jumping the shark" still a euphemism for when a tv show starts declining in quality?