The Prose of Making Sense

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:43 pm
Robert Frost coined the term 'the sound of sense' and it is defined as such:
The "sound of sense" is a literary theory in which specific syllables and sounds are used to express the subject of a poem in a visceral way. For example, in the poem "Mowing," Frost selects certain terms (such a "whispering") in order to convey an aural sense of the swishing motion of the scythe as it cuts the hay. Frost is very concerned with the clarity and expression of his poetry, particularly in terms of the topic that he is discussing. By using the "sound of sense," Frost is able to layer additional meaning onto each of his works. Instead of absorbing the meaning of the poem solely through visual means, a reader is able to feel and even hear the meaning of the poem on a deeper level.
http://www.gradesaver.com/the-poetry-of-robert-frost/study-guide/essay-questions/

It seems that members of the forum write their posts with much the same strategy. Some of us are not as good at this as others. The goal, however, may be different within the forum than metaphorically layering sense upon sense to stack a poem with more immediate sensory output. Often I think the goal of the post is to stack rhetorical sense upon vocabulary to seem to make sense, or rather make more undeniable sense than they actually do. Yet somehow in their prose they seem to retain a bit of poetry.

This goes beyond simply writing for an audience. This is not grandstanding or blustering. This is more than exploiting ethos or pathos. This is not the same as arguing from passion. This is manipulating language poetically in prose to semanically stack your argument with sensory input that seems calculated to emotionally/sensually back up the logical portion of an argument or opinion.

Have you noticed this?

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:47 pm
@GoshisDead,
much like Coleridge, i like to compose my posts in an opium haze

On A2K did djjd62
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
@GoshisDead,
The blustering was blistering.
We stacked the sacks of rhetorical sense
And bathed them in frankincense
And myrrh and mirth and all innocence.
Or mayhap that was insolence.
Or a ration of passion.
Or whatever.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:34 pm
@GoshisDead,
Yes.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
The Prose of Making Sense

This just occurred to me:
How 'bout the cons of making cents?
Letty

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Funny, Merry Andrew and welcome back.

Had to smile at djjd's Kubla Kahn. Inspired me to think of a song by Olivia Newton John. Does that make sense?
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:43 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Funny, Merry Andrew and welcome back.

Had to smile at djjd's Kubla Kahn. Inspired me to think of a song by Olivia Newton John. Does that make sense?

Hiya, Letts! Does that make sense? As much as anything else on this thread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:58 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
... manipulating language poetically in prose to semanically stack your argument with sensory input that seems calculated to emotionally/sensually back up the logical portion of an argument or opinion.

Have you noticed this?

As a matter of fact I have!

The problem is trying to locate the actual "arguments" somewhere in those lengthy poetical posts. Wink Smile
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:24 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
... manipulating language poetically in prose to semanically stack your argument with sensory input that seems calculated to emotionally/sensually back up the logical portion of an argument or opinion.

Have you noticed this?

As a matter of fact I have!

The problem is trying to locate the actual "arguments" somewhere in those lengthy poetical posts. Wink Smile

but sometimes they make you want to agree, just out of appreciation, or exhaustion
msolga

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
but sometimes they make you want to agree, just out of appreciation, or exhaustion

Ha.
Oh no, they don't!
It makes me want to shake them & scream: "Speak plain English, will you? What the hell are you trying to say?!!!" Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:38 am
@GoshisDead,
I favor simplicity:

I did, did I?

BBB
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
Don't get me wrong guys, these posts can be beautiful and informative at the same time. I'm not saying people are trying to pull a fast one with flowery language. I'm saying some people emphasize their points with poetic language adapting the sound of sense to the writing of making sense.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:48 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Robert Frost coined the term 'the sound of sense' and it is defined as such:
The "sound of sense" is a literary theory in which specific syllables and sounds are used to express the subject of a poem in a visceral way. For example, in the poem "Mowing," Frost selects certain terms (such a "whispering") in order to convey an aural sense of the swishing motion of the scythe as it cuts the hay. Frost is very concerned with the clarity and expression of his poetry, particularly in terms of the topic that he is discussing. By using the "sound of sense," Frost is able to layer additional meaning onto each of his works. Instead of absorbing the meaning of the poem solely through visual means, a reader is able to feel and even hear the meaning of the poem on a deeper level.
http://www.gradesaver.com/the-poetry-of-robert-frost/study-guide/essay-questions/

It seems that members of the forum write their posts with much the same strategy. Some of us are not as good at this as others. The goal, however, may be different within the forum than metaphorically layering sense upon sense to stack a poem with more immediate sensory output. Often I think the goal of the post is to stack rhetorical sense upon vocabulary to seem to make sense, or rather make more undeniable sense than they actually do. Yet somehow in their prose they seem to retain a bit of poetry.

This goes beyond simply writing for an audience. This is not grandstanding or blustering. This is more than exploiting ethos or pathos. This is not the same as arguing from passion. This is manipulating language poetically in prose to semanically stack your argument with sensory input that seems calculated to emotionally/sensually back up the logical portion of an argument or opinion.

Have you noticed this?

As a matter of fact, nope. But then, I am uncertain that your post makes sense, so don't take my word for it.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
I know Ken we speak different languages, figuratively of course.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:06 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I know Ken we speak different languages, figuratively of course.

But I speak English. Literally. And you? Well whatever is spoken in English (so-called) "criticism" classes. "Opacity" maybe.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@GoshisDead,
Thank God the diversity of languages flying around...my own is more of a crash, but I give it a go anyway´s !
...now, arguments fashioned in a poetic manner certainly must have an audience that is not expecting much rational thinking I reason...at least not thriving only upon it...so there´s no motive to imply a conflict with the straight forward clarity of other techniques, as the addressed target public changes...
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:21 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
There are several posters who use poetic language sentence structure, and paragraph/stanza structure that accompany strikingly efficient and cogent arguments.

among these
Khetil
Razzleg
Jeeprs
Fresco
Arjuna

We may not expect to agree with these posters all the time but we expect them to have rational arguments most of the time.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
@kennethamy,
You never fail to disspoint
dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:24 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
but we expect them to have rational arguments most of the time
who is
Quote:
we