Does a hard drive have to be compatible with your OS?

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:27 am
I just bought a hard drive because my computer is getting old and I wanted to install a new Operating System. So I bought this hard drive that, in the information they had online, was supposed to be compatible with Mac OS 10.3, but when I opened the box, it says the minimum requirements for this hard drive is OS 10.5.

Now, does that mean I can't use it as a backup device, or is that only if you want to run an operating system off the hard drive?

I haven't opened the package yet because I don't want to have to put it all back in the packaging if I don't have to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,497 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:28 am
Well . . . they should at least be on speaking terms, if not actually sleeping together.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:50 am
A hard drive is a hard drive. You see all kinds of things on packs regarding compatibility which either are misleading or incomplete. If it matches the disk controller on your motherboard then you are good to go. Maybe you could mention the disc drive make and model?

0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:38 pm
It is possible to have compatibility issues with an operating system and a harddrive (for instance, you can't run windows 7 on a 10mb hard-drive). Sometimes you may even find a mother-board that can't read the hard-drive if it is too big. That commodore 64 and its hard-drive can't take windows 7.

But generally speaking, anything bought within the last couple years (to my knowledge) should be compatible with any OS.
contrex

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 12:08 am
@RealEyes,
RealEyes wrote:

That commodore 64 and its hard-drive can't take windows 7.

There isn't a version of Windows 7 compiled for the 6502 processor anyway.

0 Replies