smoking and discontents

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 11:03 pm
I quit smoking almost thirty years ago, but I'm starting to freak re people in Santa Monica and smoking rights. The average front yard is a decreed 20 foot setback and you can't smoke within twenty five feet of doors or windows. Much less on balconies.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-santa-monica-smoking-ban,0,7806110.story

I get it that there are pros and cons, well described on the links, but this is all high stupidity (sez me).

Much as I have been semi raised in santa monica (it was two blocks away), I think they are out of their gourds.

Well, here's Huffpo, not that I treat it is as gospel. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09/santa-monica-smoking-ban-_n_710800.html

I'm most interested in local stuff.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 11:50 pm
@ossobuco,
36 looks, um, but no interest re LA.

Ok, here's a New York link, if that will catch attention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/nyregion/17smoking.html?hp
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:19 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I quit smoking almost thirty years ago, but I'm starting to freak re people in Santa Monica and smoking rights. The average front yard is a decreed 20 foot setback and you can't smoke within twenty five feet of doors or windows. Much less on balconies.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-santa-monica-smoking-ban,0,7806110.story

I get it that there are pros and cons, well described on the links, but this is all high stupidity (sez me).

Much as I have been semi raised in santa monica (it was two blocks away),

I think they are out of their gourds.
Tell them to GET BACK IN THERE !!!

ossobuco wrote:
Well, here's Huffpo, not that I treat it is as gospel. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09/santa-monica-smoking-ban-_n_710800.html

I'm most interested in local stuff.
If u concede authority to the collective (or to its henchman, government) to defend clean air,
then that applies to burning rubber tires and to smoking.

Logically, WHERE do u draw the line of demarkation ?????

David
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know, which is why I'm asking. As an old smoker, I'd plotz if someone told me I couldn't smoke at the beach.

It all seems very extreme, oh, and silly.

I too have had asthma from smokers in a bar, so I tend to understand that as a no, especially over time, but while I get it, I'm a tad sluggardly on agreeing it it could never be ok.

Not getting to smoke on my balcony or front yard or sidewalk? 25 feet? That's clinging to the curb, or mid parking strip, given the setbacks. This stuff is
bizarre.

By now I've read some on line stuff and people are asking about cooking garlic.

Snort... A friend's husband opened all the windows in the house when I cooked with garlic.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:46 am
@ossobuco,
I have resented getting stunk out by smokers in public too ofen.

gas warfare

Most of the time, I did not complain; not all the time.

David
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 01:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And smoke makes me sneeze in a room, and then go into allergy.

This is all not so much a problem for me - just sneezes, and not always - but a big problem for a friend who had way bad emphysema, and seriously avoided smoke, including in restaurant patios.

But even he would have been ok with a pal lighting up at the beach.

You can tell this is a bit I'm not settled on.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 02:35 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
And smoke makes me sneeze in a room, and then go into allergy.

This is all not so much a problem for me - just sneezes, and not always - but a big problem for a friend
who had way bad emphysema, and seriously avoided smoke, including in restaurant patios.

But even he would have been ok with a pal lighting up at the beach.

You can tell this is a bit I'm not settled on.
The acrid stench is the same at the beach and everywhere.

Maybe the vacuum of outter space is OK;
or on the surface of the sun; (that can keep it lit).

IF thay wanna do it outside,
and if thay r willing to do it in another galaxy, I 'm willing to put up with that.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 04:40 am
So many smokers I have known think nothing of smoking practically in your face, even in an enclosed room, with little ventilation. So I am not sympathetic. I may be an ex smoker, but I hate the presence of tobacco.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:12 am
I'm guessing my position would not be welcome on this thread.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:43 am
@dyslexia,
Why not? We live in America.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:44 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Why not? We live in America.

Some of us.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:09 am
@edgarblythe,
well, my comments are really not about smoking but rather about inane regulation, ie Steve McQueen (failing all accepted cancer treatments) decided to try some apricot pit remedy banned in california and maybe in the USA at large. So, he went routinely to mexico to buy this "medication" all of which had no impact on anyone else. I believe his rights were violated. someone who chooses to smoke in their own yard/property has the right to do so. I believe this is an example of why I'm a liberal instead of a democrat. (similar to "banning " ads for medications. Democrats seem to favor regulating behavior above and beyond the welfare of society (mostly on the basis of "I don't approve therefor I want a law against it"
JPB

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:11 am
@dyslexia,
yep
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 08:57 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

well, my comments are really not about smoking but rather about inane regulation, ie Steve McQueen (failing all accepted cancer treatments) decided to try some apricot pit remedy banned in california and maybe in the USA at large. So, he went routinely to mexico to buy this "medication" all of which had no impact on anyone else. I believe his rights were violated.

someone who chooses to smoke in their own yard/property has the right to do so.
That makes plenty of sense, IF the offensive substance REMAINS there.

David
High Seas

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That regulation was passed in Santa Monica, home of the 8-lane Santa Monica freeway, with trucks and cars rumbling past 24/7, and on the glidepath for landing at LAX, just south of there. Maybe the city council will shut down the freeway next - at which point the citizenry will revolt.
http://www.tiptoptow.com/images/map3.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:23 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
at which point the citizenry will revolt.

you just forced a flashback to one of my favourite 'books' as a kid

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YIv0EXDdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:24 am
@High Seas,
dangerous suggestion, the same logic used for smoking would indeed shut down streets because cars drive on them and cars are involve accidents. ban streets to reduce accidents! ban bathtubs (major sight of most home injuries)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
yes I suppose David you would support senseless regulations (such as gun controls)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
Yes, that article in the first post - or the comments to it - did talk about smog and cars relative to a whiff of smoke by someone sitting in a patio. They didn't mention buses, which used to be the worst polluters in my old neighborhood, or they visibly seemed to be the worst. I used to clean diesel dust from the top of my fence.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:36 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

yes I suppose David you would support senseless regulations (such as gun controls) amazing, here I am supporting Helen's belief in personanal rights while taking offense at David's support of BBB's style on nanny government.