Decoding the Pope's words about the dangers of secularism in society

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:45 am
@msolga,
Yeah--but we are not in the Garden of Eden. Nor would we vote to be if we were given the chance.

The morality is based upon expediency of organisation and care for the future. The expediency is not based on the morality. The morality is pragmatic. Alternatives need to be justified.

Quote:
The stupid society does not work, and the church is much responsible for that ineffectiveness, the rareness of justice, and endless exploitation of people makes life meaningless, to meaningless to share... So I don't like any part of the whole thing but the idea of forcing women to bear the children of men who cannot care, cannot share, and are unaware of the consequences they cast like so many dice is one I cannot accept...

That mush provides no answers. What woman is unaware of the consequences of jumping into bed with blokes like that? How many blokes are like that?

We live in the least stupid society that has ever existed. What does Fido mean by saying it "does not work". We have fed and rescued millions of people thanks to our capacity to produce food and other things and to deliver aid to them. And we intend increasing our efforts in that regard. We have brought them pain-killers, drugs to eradicate smallpox and other terrible diseases, surgical techniques, hope and much else. What signs are there they could have done it for themselves in their "traditional" societies.

For sure there's a long way to go and what we do is nowhere near perfect but to call us a stupid society is profoundly stupid. It is narcissistic and self-pitying and leads to defeat and hopelessness. It plays with those who are fed up and seek to lay the blame for their condition on anything except themselves and the more diffused and complex the target the better.

I think Fido's post is complete rubbish.

failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:35 am
It's plainly obvious that the Pope is out of touch. How far people are willing to play along is up to them.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:25 am
@failures art,
It's more than plainly obvious fa that you are are out of touch if you think you asserting that the Pope is out of touch means that he actually is out of touch. When you insult A2Ker's intelligence as much as that you must have lost touch with any sense of reality.

Quote:
How far people are willing to play along is up to them.

You could say that about football, supermarkets, sliced bread and ballet dancing. What do you voluntarily play along with?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:55 am
@spendius,
Quote:
spendius wrote:

Yeah--but we are not in the Garden of Eden. Nor would we vote to be if we were given the chance.

The morality is based upon expediency of organisation and care for the future. The expediency is not based on the morality. The morality is pragmatic. Alternatives need to be justified.
We are still in the garden... We all have enough, but only have to measure our own behavior and manage our resources... To live without God is entirely moral, but once a people is there, then they have to do much the same as God: They have to look into the future, and they have to work and plan to make certain the dangers they see are averted... Look at Katrina or 911... Those were the result of a government blind to consequences counting on God or good fortune to save them from disaster...

Quote:
Quote:
The stupid society does not work, and the church is much responsible for that ineffectiveness, the rareness of justice, and endless exploitation of people makes life meaningless, to meaningless to share... So I don't like any part of the whole thing but the idea of forcing women to bear the children of men who cannot care, cannot share, and are unaware of the consequences they cast like so many dice is one I cannot accept...

That mush provides no answers. What woman is unaware of the consequences of jumping into bed with blokes like that? How many blokes are like that?

Consequences??? A woman jumping into bed with a man is a consequence of the isolation and injustice all people suffer in this society, of the church turning all people into individuals, and breaking the communities, even the families which once supported their own... The modern individual is a creation of the first modern western state, and that is the Catholic Church...

Quote:
We live in the least stupid society that has ever existed. What does Fido mean by saying it "does not work". We have fed and rescued millions of people thanks to our capacity to produce food and other things and to deliver aid to them. And we intend increasing our efforts in that regard. We have brought them pain-killers, drugs to eradicate smallpox and other terrible diseases, surgical techniques, hope and much else. What signs are there they could have done it for themselves in their "traditional" societies.

For sure there's a long way to go and what we do is nowhere near perfect but to call us a stupid society is profoundly stupid. It is narcissistic and self-pitying and leads to defeat and hopelessness. It plays with those who are fed up and seek to lay the blame for their condition on anything except themselves and the more diffused and complex the target the better.

I think Fido's post is complete rubbish.

Yes; our society is knowledgable no thanks to the church that has never wanted more knowledge than it could control.... Giving food to people who have overrun their environments all ready is a mistake... First, introduce people to the modern world, help them to get control of their own populations, and help them to get the skill to foresee the natural disasters that endanger them... Sure; the industialize nations cause global warming that the poor countries will inevitably suffer because those people are already on the margin of survival... At least what they do they do out of necessity, while much of what we do in regard to them is out of a flight of fancy... I don't care if God exists, but if I were to preach God to people handing them food and medicine and the means to overrun their environments still further I would rate hell...

When did we eradicate small pox??? WE did not eradicate small pox, but eradicated the small pox eradication program while certain governments have weaponized smallpox keeping it alive to make future wars that much more horrible...
You have to realize that we first managed our behavior, and family sizes as we grew in wealth and as we grew in wealth our lives became less meaningful and more wealthy.... People on the edge see that life is the only thing with meaning and they want to live through children they cannot support and that their environments cannot support, and we let church people walze in there and hand them a lot of food and medicine which results in lives lived even more on the edge, and in gratitude they will produce the pandemics that may eliminate us altogether... Government should get control of those asses who buy people for their churches, which are really competition for the government, and political organizations, and hold them accountable for the hurt they do with their do gooding... We need to change, but the whole world needs to change... We do not need more knowledge or more contol over the environment... We need self control and religion, not just cpitalism denies this, and says individual freedom is essential...But individualism leads to most people living lives in no sense indiviual or indiviually satisfying... For individualism most people suffer the communism of poverty, taught like, thinking like, dressed like, eating like, behaving like everybody else...
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@Fido,
That's all empty talk Fido. What do you suggest we DO?

The inadequacy of the response to Katrina did not involve no reponse at all. There was a very large response just as there has been in Haiti and now Pakistan. What other culture ever came to the aid of victims on such a scale?

How can you crab our society?

How do we protect every place when we don't know where the next natural disaster will strike? You're talking after the event when you know where Katrina made landfall. Of course we rely on good fortune. The cost of not doing is prohibitive. I don't think many were relying on God.

Living below sea level has attractions in cheap property prices.

Anyway---what action do you want to see? Now. Talk's cheap.
Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:54 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's all empty talk Fido. What do you suggest we DO?

The inadequacy of the response to Katrina did not involve no reponse at all. There was a very large response just as there has been in Haiti and now Pakistan. What other culture ever came to the aid of victims on such a scale?

How can you crab our society?

How do we protect every place when we don't know where the next natural disaster will strike? You're talking after the event when you know where Katrina made landfall. Of course we rely on good fortune. The cost of not doing is prohibitive. I don't think many were relying on God.

Living below sea level has attractions in cheap property prices.

Anyway---what action do you want to see? Now. Talk's cheap.

Jeeeezis... When you have hundreds of thousands of people living in a fish bowl of a city below sea level in a hurricane swept area, with a lake at their backs held back by garbage levees and with the pumps designed to evacuate the water out of repair, and no evacuation plan in place for the people... Where was government, real government; because if it was that dangerous people should not have been allowed there, and if the people were allowed there then precautions should have been in place, and maintainence and repair should have been performed... Living as though dodging the passed bullet is some protection from a future bullet is daft...Livng as though God exists and will protect the faithful is daft....

Most natural disasters, and certainly 911 was foreseable... Hell, the place was already attacked once... instead of showing due caution, the government guided by spirits and those who talk to spirits opened the country to attack by people without a chance of attacking us without an entry visa... The government should have fallen and instead, with the support of the religious, they went to war and spent thousands of lives attacking a people who did not attack us to destroy a dictator who oppressed them more than he oppressed us... Where is the justice in that, to attack a powerless and oppressed people because we don't like their tyrant???

Government is the place where the people should govern and reason should rule... The constitution and the government give to the religious too much support and too large a place in government, and we all suffer their presence there... They are not logical, and they reject reason...If they believe in God they should trust in God and not try to lead the whole country into stupidity... Let them form their own governments if they think they can agree upon any single thing... We need reason, and we need science to help us determine what is likely and how to respond... We cannot live in la la land waiting for the last days... Idiots in government makes a last day all the more lilely for anyone living on the margin...
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:07 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Where is the justice in that, to attack a powerless and oppressed people because we don't like their tyrant???

you quoted Socrates saying--

Quote:
He said there would be justice in Athens when those not injured by injustice were as indignant as those who were.

What their tyrant did to them made us indignant. It made us indignant that they were powerless and oppressed. Sacrifices have to be made to get justice for them. They are slowly getting justice. Thankfully. These things don't happen by waving a magic wand or reciting a few carefully chosen words.

Were the northern states indignant at the Confederacy's slave policy? Yes they were and a four year long civil war took place to free the slaves.
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:17 am
@spendius,
What do you want to see happen Fido? And forget utopian, abstract and impossible solutions. They are a waste of effort.

What's your first realistic and significant move? Nothing's getting done whilst you sit there trying to make out you're reasonable and compassionate and thus a person to be admired.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:10 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Where is the justice in that, to attack a powerless and oppressed people because we don't like their tyrant???

you quoted Socrates saying--

Quote:
He said there would be justice in Athens when those not injured by injustice were as indignant as those who were.

What their tyrant did to them made us indignant. It made us indignant that they were powerless and oppressed. Sacrifices have to be made to get justice for them. They are slowly getting justice. Thankfully. These things don't happen by waving a magic wand or reciting a few carefully chosen words.

Were the northern states indignant at the Confederacy's slave policy? Yes they were and a four year long civil war took place to free the slaves.

We could have empowered those people against Saddam Hussein before nad we did not do it... The reason why is simple... We like a name on the dotted line and we the people is too big to write.... We had all these promises from him for payback for the gulf war, and if the people had turned him out and stretched his neck they would have justly said: we are not going to pay for his trouble... Now we have to people on the hook for the damange we did to them and the cost of rebuilding their country, and that is what we said from the start, that oil revenues would pay for the rebuilding... OK, what if I break up your house and then steal your wallet to pay me for fixing it... Is there justice there... I am indignant alreight... Against all those idiots acting in our name injuring others and making enemies where before we had only friiends...
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:16 pm
@Fido,
I don't know what we could have done and I don't care either. It's done. It will not be undone. Perhaps you hadn't the information to get you to be indignant before it began. You were coasting along with nothing much happening. Iraq a place you might not be able to point to on a map. Beneath your radar.

You have yet to suggest your first significant move. The bloke steering the car looks through the front widow not the back one.
Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:58 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I don't know what we could have done and I don't care either. It's done. It will not be undone. Perhaps you hadn't the information to get you to be indignant before it began. You were coasting along with nothing much happening. Iraq a place you might not be able to point to on a map. Beneath your radar.

You have yet to suggest your first significant move. The bloke steering the car looks through the front widow not the back one.

skwew me once and all that... No; Iraq and all of Islam have been on my radar for a long time... And I understood why the US did not carry on after the last gulf war, and I did not like it at the time, and when they went in to Iraq the second time I liked it even less...Sorry; but the Catholic Church and Christian denomenations generally have long ago lost any right to a leadership role in my life...
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:01 am
@Fido,
I understood that the Pope is an opponent of the war in Iraq.

In Mr Bush's speech welcoming the Pope to America he said "I hope he isn't going to scold me."

And I don't suppose you saw our Prime Minister's two speeches addressed to the Pope on his arrival in Great Britain and on his departure. Nor the Queen's.

Your bald assertion that the Church has lost its leadership role looks rather wan after those. And there were others. And other Christian demoninations should not be confused with the Church nor conflated with it for the purpose of easy argument. That is devious.
Fido

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I understood that the Pope is an opponent of the war in Iraq.

In Mr Bush's speech welcoming the Pope to America he said "I hope he isn't going to scold me."

And I don't suppose you saw our Prime Minister's two speeches addressed to the Pope on his arrival in Great Britain and on his departure. Nor the Queen's.

Your bald assertion that the Church has lost its leadership role looks rather wan after those. And there were others. And other Christian demoninations should not be confused with the Church nor conflated with it for the purpose of easy argument. That is devious.

Point for the Pope... And many good Catholics to be against the WAR...After 911, the Priest at the church I was attending got up and reminded the flock that america is the largest esported or war material, will not sign on to the chemical weapons ban or the land mine treaty, etc. and etc. Perhaps with the pont that 911 may have been just one pigeon come home to roost.... And it being a consevative/reactionary community, some one dropped a dime on him to the Bishop, and the next week, he stood up and apologized...Didn't want to give anyone the impression that the anger of the world might be justified against us and all.... The Pope isn't the only Nazi in the church... We have a lot of them that think the American Flag flys in Heaven, and should fly over the Vatican...

I do not think it at all devious... Most of their differences are superficial... The Christians often make common cause when it suits their interests.. In fact, Catholics may not much stand on the Bible but are generally better educated and have a better income than most because they are not dumbells, and neither are they assholes... Some believe too much in the infalability of the Church, and confuse faith in the church with faith in God... Personally I have little faith in either, but will stand with good people in a good cause...
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:42 am
@Fido,
I can't say I'm getting the hot sweats over "a lot of them that think ". The Pope is not a Nazi. Never was. If your stance is based on him being a Nazi it is a deluded one.

A quote from Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy--

Quote:
WHAT a jovial and a merry world
would this be, may it please your
worships, but for that inextricable laby-
rinth of debts, cares, woes, want, grief,
discontent, melancholy, large jointures,
impositions, and lies !

Volume VI Chapter XIV.

The faults you lay on the Church are due to the nature of the human race. By blaming the Church for such things you are avoiding facing the facts and fondly imagining that Sterne's criticisms will cease to apply if the Church was abolished.
Fido

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I can't say I'm getting the hot sweats over "a lot of them that think ". The Pope is not a Nazi. Never was. If your stance is based on him being a Nazi it is a deluded one.

A quote from Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy--

Quote:
WHAT a jovial and a merry world
would this be, may it please your
worships, but for that inextricable laby-
rinth of debts, cares, woes, want, grief,
discontent, melancholy, large jointures,
impositions, and lies !

Volume VI Chapter XIV.

The faults you lay on the Church are due to the nature of the human race. By blaming the Church for such things you are avoiding facing the facts and fondly imagining that Sterne's criticisms will cease to apply if the Church was abolished.

Seriously; not a Hitler Youth... Did not give the Hitler Oath??? I don't believe you...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
Pardon this interruption to your discussion.

But with the Pope's visit to the UK over & all, & with this thread having digressed from it's original purpose (which is perfecting OK! No problem at all) I thought I'd post this article from this morning's ABC news online, because Mary MacKillop is of huge interest to so many Catholics in Australia. Many have campaigned for years to restore her reputation within the Church & it looks like that's about to happen. She's about to be declared a saint!

The Mary MacKillop "issue" is of interest to me because it focuses on some of my major gripes (as a long-ago lapsed Catholic) with the Catholic Church. The abuse of children in its care. The abuse of power. The cover-ups & denials. The entrenched misogyny. (To name just a few.)

I suppose it's a positive sign that the Vatican will soon officially restore this woman's reputation & acknowledge her long-ago good works within her community. But me, I'd like much more from the Church. I'd be much happier if sexual abuse was treated as the criminal offense it is & that the perpetrators were properly dealt with by civil courts. Just like anyone else who commits such crimes in society. When that actually occurs I'll have a lot more respect for the Catholic Church. That such serious crimes have been perceived merely as an internal problem within the Church, for so long, is disgraceful. (But, of course, you don't need me to tell you that!)

Quote:
MacKillop banished after uncovering sex abuse
Updated 1 hour 29 minutes ago
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200802/r225739_894731.jpg
Mary MacKillop was banished from the Catholic Church for five months. (www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au)

Mary MacKillop, the nun who will soon be Australia's first saint, was excommunicated by the Catholic Church because she discovered children were being abused by a priest and went public, the ABC's Compass program can reveal.

In 1871, after only four years as a nun, she was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and turned out onto the street with no money and nowhere to go.

MacKillop's cause for sainthood began in 1925 and has had the tireless backing of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart, the order she founded.

On October 17, MacKillop's canonisation by Pope Benedict XVI will be a momentous occasion for Australia's 5 million Roman Catholics.

But these new revelations show there were some in the church who set out to destroy the order that put her on the path to sainthood. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/25/3021772.htm
msolga

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
@msolga,
OK, you can continue with your discussion now ...
0 Replies