Decoding the Pope's words about the dangers of secularism in society

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 04:25 pm
@spendius,
Just a quick comment: Spendius, I'm glad to see you participating, because I believe could you bring another perspective to this discussion. By please, could you leave references to old animosities out of your comments here? I'd really appreciate that.
Thanks.
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:07 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
But the most militant actions the "militant atheists" are accused of committing is that they believe in evolution.

Oh yeah! Thomas means those militant actions he is aware of and not the most militant actions full stop.

It's a cheap trick.

But Thomas has me on Ignore as well as ros and Setanta so that they needn't consider the matter. It would be so humiliating for them to give it a moment's reflection.
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:08 pm
Religion and equality have not always been hand in hand.

http://scfrank.smugmug.com/photos/1012782069_3Ynki-M.jpg

Help, how does one post a picture here?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:09 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I agree with that assessment. The church is losing the foundation of their control and they don't like it
I dont think it is control, the Church was forced to give up almost all of its control long ago, and made peace with how things are. It is the lack of respect, the no longer being afforded the stature of being an important institution, that rubs raw. However, it is their own damn fault. Between not being able to make up their mind what they are (Vatican 2 and then only about a decade latter revoking some of it, and then another decade later turning deeply conservative and rejecting in spirit all of Vatican 2), the lack of competence (as the conservative Popes drummed out everyone who refused to kiss the ring of rejection of modernity, leaving a lot of low wattage types who cant do anything without instruction), and the blatant disregard for the best interests of their flock shown by their refusal to police their ranks (sex criimes).....most people now have no use for the Church because it does not add anything to civilization. This could have been avoided, the Church stuck the knife in, no one else did it.

The current and future Popes can whine if they want, but this is a done deal now, they are already 20 years too late. Even if reforms were taken up now it is unlikely that the Church could recover its respect.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:21 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Religion and equality have not always been hand in hand.

http://scfrank.smugmug.com/photos/1012782069_3Ynki-M.jpg

hi IRFRANK - you need to enclose the image with [img] and [/img]

(do you have the BBCode Editor enabled?)
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:29 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Just a quick comment: Spendius, I'm glad to see you participating, because I believe could you bring another perspective to this discussion. By please, could you leave references to old animosities out of your comments here? I'd really appreciate that.
Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean Olga. I have no animosities.

Do you think me being on the Ignore list of Thomas, Setanta and rosbourne is precisely because I bring another perspective to this discussion and it is one they can't deal with. They are quite happy to take on people who believe Jesus walked on the waters which He might well have done for all I know. They can get out their introductory, infants, elementary physics texts to prove the feat impossible and, by the simple expedient of Ignoring any poetic interpretations, they not only prove it impossible but also that we are particles in the laboratory of their minds and that birth control, adultery, abortion and a few other things I won't mention are okay and useful expedients in the service of their lusts.

Do you think that the aforementioned gents have any animosities?
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:46 pm
@spendius,
Well, I don't and I'm reading and trying to put the pieces together, so keep talking
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 05:49 pm
@spendius,
I just voted your last comment down, spendius.
Could we please keep to the topic of this thread, thanks?
I'd welcome your input on the subject we're actually discussing .
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you !
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:11 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Eorl wrote:
Yes, but there were other conscientious objectors who were not.
I just find the irony and hipocracy astounding, is all.
I'm not so much attacking as introducing a kettle to a pot.

I'm afraid we must agree to disagree on this point. It doesn't concern me that a fourteen-year-old boy---growing up under a rotten regime, having seen nothing else in the world---would fail to see the rottenness and to become a martyr. It also doesn't concern me when he decides, instead, to follow what he must then have seen as the call of his country, let alone the common practice of his peers.

This is kinda the point though. Was it mass atheism that led to the rise of Nazism? No it wasn't. If one must grossly oversimplify you could accuse nationalism and racism and xenophobia. I'm not attacking the church, you're right, there are many easier ways, I'm simply pointing out how poor the popes "atheism leads to Nazism" argument is.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:55 pm
From yesterday's Guardian:.

Quote:
Pope Benedict today pressed on with his visit to Britain despite the discovery of a suspected plot to attack him, using his keynote address to protest at the "marginalisation" of religion in public life ....

...Sources said the men were believed to be Muslim and that some of them are Algerian.

Apparently the offenders have been apprehended by the police. It's totally unacceptable, of course, that any public figure is threatened in this manner. Surely that goes without saying ...

I continue to be somewhat mystified by some of his pronouncements. What "pragmatic solutions", in regard to the global financial crisis, could he be referring to here? What "ethical considerations" have been overlooked? What does this have to do with Catholicism, or religion in general, for that matter?

Quote:
The pope ... pointed to the global financial crisis as an example of what happened when pragmatic solutions were applied in the absence of ethical considerations.

And what is he referring to here, again? Does this "marginalization" mean that there are fewer Christians these days? If not, what exactly is the nature of this "marginalization"? What is he actually objecting to? The fact that atheists (like Dawkins & co) are receiving publicity about their beliefs in the media? That those beliefs might be gaining in popularity? If that's his concern, then I can understand it, from his church's perspective, but surely it is up to individuals to come to their own conclusions in a democratic society? Part of the process of free speech?

Quote:
In a key passage of his speech, he said: "I cannot but voice my concern at the increasing marginalisation of religion, particularly of Christianity, that is taking place in some quarters, even in nations which place a great emphasis on tolerance."

Could someone decode this part, please? What "new social conditions" is he referring to & what do "the issues raised by Thomas More's trial" have to do with them?

Quote:
Benedict said the issues raised by Thomas More's trial "continue to present themselves in ever-changing terms as new social conditions emerge." The crucial question was: "By appeal to what authority can moral dilemmas be resolved?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/17/pope-visit-keynote-westminster-speech
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:57 pm
The Militant Atheist Incarnate spoke at an anti-pope demonstration today. YouTube has a video of his speech.

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 07:59 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you very much for posting that, Thomas.
So this is what's going on in the streets of Britain during the pope's state visit?
Looks like a full-on public debate to me. First he speaks passionately about his concerns, then other side responds with equal passion. Democracy & free speech at work. Very healthy indeed, I reckon! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
So I'm wondering now, if from the Catholic church's perspective, such public airings of the pope's "positions" on so many non-religious matters was such a brilliant idea after all?
(From a long way away, admittedly) he seems to have fueled more public debate in Britain about Catholicism & religion than perhaps existed before?
Perhaps it might have been best to have kept his addresses to the faithful & to have restricted himself to religious matters ... & not made those comments about Hitler & Nazism & the evils of secularism, etc, etc ... ?
It looks like they might have back-fired.
Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:41 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
It looks like they might have back-fired.

I certainly hope so.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:49 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
British apathy

Benedict's visit to the UK is the first by a pontiff since Pope John Paul II made a non-state pastoral visit in 1982. Benedict's visit has failed to excite the public imagination like that of his predecessor.

An Ipsos Mori poll conducted for the Catholic magazine The Tablet and published last week revealed widespread indifference among Britons, with 63 per cent neither in favour nor against the visit.

Disappointingly for organisers, this has been reflected in ticket sales for the planned masses. Only 55,000 people are expected at the main event in Birmingham which is able to host 80,000 worshippers.

The first event at Bellahouston Park on Thursday, which will include performances by an 800-strong choir and Britain's Got Talent star Susan Boyle, might be one-third empty.

Pilgrims have been asked to pay up to $39 to attend the masses as a contribution towards the cost of the visit.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2010/09/201091643031178209.html

NOT, I am sure, what the Holy See was hoping for when they decided to do this. Scrounging for money has got to be embarrassing.
Fido

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 08:39 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Eorl wrote:
Yes, but there were other conscientious objectors who were not.
I just find the irony and hipocracy astounding, is all.
I'm not so much attacking as introducing a kettle to a pot.

I'm afraid we must agree to disagree on this point. It doesn't concern me that a fourteen-year-old boy---growing up under a rotten regime, having seen nothing else in the world---would fail to see the rottenness and to become a martyr. It also doesn't concern me when he decides, instead, to follow what he must then have seen as the call of his country, let alone the common practice of his peers.

By contrast, it does concern me that the same person, having grown up, seen the world, and pursued a successful academic career, then devoted a theological career rationalizing the institutionalized inhumanity of his church: the homophobia, the misogyny, the abuses of power, and all that. It does concern me that he now supports his rationalizations with historical fabrications of Rush-Limbaugh-esque plumpness.

Unlike the teenager Joseph Ratzinger, pope Benedict XVI knew exactly what he was doing when he went off the deep end. To compare the two is a cheap shot. Why take cheap shots at the Catholic church when we have so many good shots to fire?

Two older wormen had the habit of sitting on their front porch and commenting on the customers of the whore house that lay across the street... One day, a Baptist minister was seen leaving the establishment...
See!!! said the one: I told you those Babtists were all bums...
And the other agreed...
A few minutes later a Catholic priest was seen leaving...
The second woman looked at the first and said: There must be some one sick in there...

You cannot say anything to some people that will actually make them doubt their church... I don't stick with them because I think they are right and can do no wrong as some people do, but in spite of the fact that they never do what is right and always do what they do wrong and for the wrong reasons... The people are good people for the most part, and deserve more from a church... It is just that, with the head rotten how long can the body live on, and what good can it do???
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:43 am
@msolga,
I'll start with Thomas. Why not? I have to start somewhere.

Quote:
Again, Dawkins' talk contains nothing "militant" in the sense of "prone to violence" ; only in the sense of taking a stand, and taking it passionately.

A lie by omission. The "only" is, in Thomas's definition, excluding the possibilty of other explanations. Recruitment to influential positions in Media for example, which is a matter of far more importance that any isolated incident involving sporadic violence. We can do something about the latter because we see it but the former we don't see too clearly and thus there's little we can do about it. And naturally, as evolution theory teaches, it expands just as vermin do if we do nothing about them. They are not called "reptiles" in some circles for nothing. They know the seamy side of life sells their products. Headquarters is known as Grub Street.

On another thread today aidan (Rebecca) said that the picture she had of prison which she had gained from books and media was "totally different" from that she sees with her eyes working in a prison. It was common knowledge many years ago that a report on a football match one had been a spectator at was such that the writer of the report must have been at another game and his editor had mixed up the articles.

Then Thomas produces this--

Quote:
But the most militant actions the "militant atheists" are accused of committing is (sic) that they believe (sic, sic, sic) in evolution.

I showed that to be meaningless in three lines. But having me on Ignore enables Thomas to avoid providing an answer so that other participants in the debate can consider it. The statement is not true as well as being meaningless technically.

And then JPB doesn't think that Setanta, ros and Thomas have any animosities. Not much they don't. Their bluff has been called and they have slunk off because, to quote ros, "they don't like it". They are not defending science, which needs no defence, in any recognisable scientific way, because they haven't an ounce of science in the three of them. Nor an ounce of history either. History is a process not an pile of disconnected facts which might not even be facts. They have a subjective reason to attack religion and talk about believers as if they are a sub-species. They are unbalanced. And if everybody comes to agree with them, as they must wish, they are nowhere otherwise as preachers, then we can begin selling off the Vatican, the Cathedrals, the Churches, the hospitals, the hospices, the schools, the colleges, the mission facilities in deprived city areas and overseas, the paintings, the statues, the gold chalices and all the other kit, which would take too long to set out in any detail, and redevelop all the valuable sites for commercial purposes and put the fat, lazy buggers on the road mending gangs where they might do something useful for a change. That has to be what they want. These people who hide away from opposing viewpoints.

And we get a U-tube video of a scene in a back street.

And you vote my comments down you say. As if I am supposed to have a knee-trembler at the dramatic news.

And I am justified is having an animosity if I want to have one, which I don't. You have three people who put their hands over their ears and bury their faces in Mom's apron when it is my turn to offer a "perspective" and for one reason only which I have already specified. Fear.

Is that debate Olga? Shouldn't you be admonishing Setanta, ros and Thomas. They betray the very essence of debate. Any talk from them about free and open discussion is just so much self-flattering hogwash. They shouldn't even be here. In a proper debate they would be thrown out. And it's worse that that. They actually try to make a virtue of it. Especially Setanta who thinks he is placing another feather in his cap when he repeats for the nth time that he has me on Ignore and that in doing so he takes the high ground. Can you believe that Olga?

Well--yes you can. You are on the same side as they are so you pretend that they are the good guys and can do no wrong. And they are wimpy jelly-babies which have been in the sunny window too long.

You have your standards and I have mine. Suit yourself who you want to have your discussions with and how they are conducted. You'll learn sod all from any of those three to anywhere near compare to the post of mine about Mr Bullock's book on Hitler. Nor of my analysis, crude as it was, of Media bias.

I wonder how many Media-persons have participated in an abortion. In pre-marital sex, in birth control, in adultery, in divorce and in homosexuality. All six profoundly demeaning to women.

But I expect nothing less. I know I'm on my own against a self-reinforcing claque.

JPB

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:53 am
@spendius,
I meant that I didn't have you on ignore, not that others didn't have any animosities. I rarely care about, nor get involved in, the personal squabbles among posters.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Scrounging for money has got to be embarrassing.

What would you say, hawk, is not scrounging for money?
0 Replies