Headphones for laptop

littlek

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
Are headphones standard - can all laptops use the same headphones? I want to get headphones for watching movies/shows on my laptop without bothering anyone else.

My computer, if it matters, is a Asus Notebook running Windows 7.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 14,900 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
@littlek,
As far as I understand, most laptops have some kind of headphone or output speaker jack and as long as the headphone itself has the right size male connection to the female jack then it should work with the laptop.

Worst case scenario, if your computer doesn't have a speaker outlet or head phone connection, if it has a USB port, you could try some wireless headphones.

Or Bluetooth connected headphones if your laptop has a Bluetooth connection.
littlek

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 09:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've got a jack. So, is it just a matter of hit or miss? Can I discover the size of my jack, or will it be a standard size?
dyslexia

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:07 pm
@littlek,
It's my understanding that headphone jacks for such electronics as laptops, mp3 players etc are standardized, I have 4 sets of headphones bought for different devices and they are all interchangeable. the older type were RCA jacks and were much larger.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:19 pm
When I was looking for head phones with mic for the desktop, Izzie was very firm that I should get something that worked with USB ports. I'm using a Logitech with selector for voice and music, and has volumn control on the right ear phone instead of dangling around in the middle of the wire.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
@littlek,
Standard 3.5 mm stereo jack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:31 pm
@littlek,
I would fathom to say that most are indeed of a standard size.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:56 pm
@littlek,
Take it in to a local Radio Shack and they can tell you exactly what type of jack connector you need. They also have small selection of good headphones.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:56 am
every laptop has a totally standard jack that any ole headphones will work with. unless you're a sound geek, which you are not, you can just choose from the most common headphones. same as for mp3 players. so, go for comfort since you'll have them on your head/in your ears for couple hours at the time.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:29 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Are headphones standard - can all laptops use the same headphones?

Yes and yes. Headphone jacks are standardized and come in one of two sizes: 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch. All laptops I've seen have 1/8 inch female jacks. So yes, you can you can use any headphone that works with one laptop with any other laptop.

Edit: 1/8 inch = DrewDad's 3.5 mm.
littlek

Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:05 am
Thank you all! Good points to take to the store with me. I hadn't thought at all about comfort, Dasha!
0 Replies

franki

Fri 10 May, 2013 03:02 am
@Thomas,
Very Thank you for your news, I would like to on the I there will be with specific detail about the of great help to look forward to your updated again ah
0 Replies

makejus

Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:08 am
@littlek,
Thanks you very much news, I think it is a very good wireless headset handy it allows you to listen to stereo music through Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone or music player, while ensuring that you never miss a call
0 Replies

gracerichi

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 11:53 pm
Hello friends,
I am new to this forum site. Thanks admin for adding me in this forum site. This forum site is giving really very valuable information regarding my relevant topic where I can find more valuable information.
0 Replies

nazia08

Fri 7 Mar, 2014 10:34 pm
I've already bought the Creative Labs wireless headphones that use bluetooth and they're horrible!! Takes for ever to get a signal and then they can cut out after about a minute. Anybody have any suggestions for better ones that are also small?? Thanks to all who can help
0 Replies