How do you see the burning of Holy Koran by pastor Terry Jones

oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:05 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Tell me how deep you wish to dig yourself here. Usually 6ft is the norm, but you seem he'll bent o. Breaching the bedrock of reason.

You must hate our freedom as much as Osama does.
JPB

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:25 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

JPB wrote:
oralloy wrote:
And if they build it there they better get used to people burning Korans in protest.

Because some Americans have this insatiable need to demonstrate over and over again just how ignorant and myopic they are.

I'm curious, do you think everyone who burns an American flag to protest something is ignorant and myopic?

Sounds pretty hypocritical if you don't.

Well, I wouldn't call it insightful and well thought out, would you? They are both actions whose intentions are to express anger and/or frustration and intend to incite a reaction. All perfectly legal in our society. Just be prepared to accept responsibility when someone reacts a little more forcefully than you anticipated. It's all tit-for-tat... until it isn't.
Irishk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
They are both actions whose intentions are to express anger and/or frustration and intend to incite a reaction.

Exactly. And if the media is absent, it's surprising how little reactions are incited. I think they drive a lot of this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:13 pm
@Irishk,
The media and the internet makes all news instantaneous, and idiotic bigots like Jones gets worldwide news when he really doesn't deserve one line in the obit section of his local newspaper.
Irishk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Agreed. It's mostly the media, though. JPB's post reminded me of an amateur video I saw on Youtube of a small group of Muslim men desecrating the flag in NY. They weren't burning it...just stepping on it and ripping it. A small crowd gathered and about half way through the video, we see their reaction. They're just standing there, quiet...one man almost looks amused at what he's watching...like, "look at those goofballs".

When they get no crowd reaction, the flag-stomping group grows a little louder (and this is where it gets funny), shouting for all Muslims to join them, saying, "Don't be afraid. This is America and you are free to protest. In your old country you would be tortured for protesting against the government, but it won't happen here". At one point the guy says (as if it's important for the silent crowd to understand) that they have a permit to desecrate the flag. I think that part was probably rehearsed in anticipation of some reactionary retaliation from the crowd, but alas, it never happened. Smile

Of course, if any major media had been within earshot, this would be plastered all over the news. I suppose we should be grateful they can't be everywhere.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:27 pm
@Irishk,
I have also seen American flag clothing in the US. Not many seem too upset about that either.
Irishk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ralph Lauren has made mega-bucks off his flag clothing line.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:09 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
an amateur video I saw on Youtube of a small group of Muslim men desecrating the flag in NY.

How do you know they were Muslim?
failures art

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 01:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:
Tell me how deep you wish to dig yourself here. Usually 6ft is the norm, but you seem he'll bent o. Breaching the bedrock of reason.

"Our" freedom includes Muslims, or for that matter non-Christians. I don't think you honor our freedoms by denying others them.

I've not tried to deny this pastor his rights. The man is a bigot.

A
R
T
revelette

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 05:53 am
Wish I could have been there to have seen this..bet it was a funny sight.
Quote:
A planned Quran burning Saturday in Amarillo was thwarted by a 23-year-old carrying a skateboard and wearing a T-shirt with "I'm in Repent Amarillo No Joke" scrawled by hand on the back.

Jacob Isom, 23, grabbed David Grisham's Quran when he became distracted while arguing with several residents at Sam Houston Park about the merits of burning the Islamic holy book.

"You're just trying to start Holy Wars," Isom said of Grisham after he gave the book to a religious leader from the Islamic Center of Amarillo.

source
Irishk

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

As I recall, they said they were. One of their signs referenced the "Islamic Thinkers Society", and their shouting Allahu Akbar was another clue. They seem to have some issues with U.S. foreign policy and said their loyalty is to Osama. Kooks, IMHO.
contrex

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:48 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

contrex wrote:

As I recall, they said they were. One of their signs referenced the "Islamic Thinkers Society", and their shouting Allahu Akbar was another clue. They seem to have some issues with U.S. foreign policy and said their loyalty is to Osama. Kooks, IMHO.

So, Mr. Logic, if I put on a blanket and carry a sign saying "Zionist Society Of Israel" and shout "Shalom!" and "Oy Veh!" on Youtube, I'm definitely a Jew, right?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:49 am
@contrex,
Most certainly. Appearance is everything. LOL
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:57 am
@contrex,
You're most likely right. I bet they're really Mormons. Or maybe Wiccans.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Gee, Oralboy repeating propaganda. Who'da thunk such a thing possible?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:31 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I'm curious, do you think everyone who burns an American flag to protest something is ignorant and myopic?

Well, I wouldn't call it insightful and well thought out, would you?

Each protest should be judged on its own merits.

JPB wrote:
They are both actions whose intentions are to express anger and/or frustration and intend to incite a reaction.

Yes. And sometimes it is appropriate to have a protest as vehement as that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:33 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
"Our" freedom includes Muslims, or for that matter non-Christians. I don't think you honor our freedoms by denying others them.

I am confident that you can't produce a single cite of me denying someone's freedom, or trying to deny their freedom, or calling for such a thing to occur.
oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:34 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Wish I could have been there to have seen this..bet it was a funny sight.
Quote:
A planned Quran burning Saturday in Amarillo was thwarted by a 23-year-old carrying a skateboard and wearing a T-shirt with "I'm in Repent Amarillo No Joke" scrawled by hand on the back.

Jacob Isom, 23, grabbed David Grisham's Quran when he became distracted while arguing with several residents at Sam Houston Park about the merits of burning the Islamic holy book.

"You're just trying to start Holy Wars," Isom said of Grisham after he gave the book to a religious leader from the Islamic Center of Amarillo.

source

If it were me, I'd be pressing charges against those two thieves for stealing my property.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:48 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

failures art wrote:

I am confident that you can't produce a single cite of me denying someone's freedom, or trying to deny their freedom, or calling for such a thing to occur.

What exactly do you think this kangaroo Dr Jones wanted? His little hate circus was about declaring "war" on Islam.

A
R
T
oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
oralloy wrote:
failures art wrote:

What exactly do you think this kangaroo Dr Jones wanted? His little hate circus was about declaring "war" on Islam.

A
R
T

First I'd like to note that your response does not cite any place where I've denied someone's freedom, or tried to deny their freedom, or called for such a thing to occur.

But to answer your question, I think he wanted to use his freedom of speech to protest all the horrible things that many Muslims are doing.

It is the same thing people want to do when they burn American flags (except the protest is directed at America of course in that case).