collapsed lung, pain months after

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:40 pm
I had my lung collapse 8 months ago. I ended up getting a tube inserted. Now 8 months later I am getting pain (Small area the size of a quarter) just under the bottom of my rib cage (side where the tube was inserted) it feels like i just did 300 sit-ups. and to one small area of my back on the same side. What is the cause of this. I never felt this before my lung collapsed. I am very fit and active.Thanks any input would be great.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 9,300 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:42 pm
@hootgibson,
See your doctor about it.

It's possible that the pain is resulting from scar tissue in the muscle. Scar tissue doesn't stretch like muscle does. So when you use the muscle, you can get tiny microdamage around the scar. This pain could feel similar to the burn of exercising because that pain is also caused by microdamage to the muscle. In response to the damage, inflamation sets in. The long term solution is to add gentle stretching for your upper body to your routine. Massage therapy would also help.

The doctor could rule out other possibilities like the development of a pneumothorax (air in the pleural space) or infection. So don't treat it yourself until you get the thumbs up from the doctor.
hootgibson

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:56 am
@Arjuna,
Thanks. have you had this before?
Arjuna

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:40 pm
@hootgibson,
hootgibson wrote:

Thanks. have you had this before?
No, I did sports massage for about a decade. Now I'm a nurse.

How did your lung collapse?
hootgibson

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:37 am
@Arjuna,
Got up one morning, bent down to pick up my shoes to go work out and it felt like someone hit the left side of my chest with a sledge hammer. Then all of a sudden ,I had trouble breathing. I'm also 6'2" , 200lbs (Lanky), which from what I hear, is a very common build, in people getting a collapsed lung.
Arjuna

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:52 am
@hootgibson,
hootgibson wrote:

Got up one morning, bent down to pick up my shoes to go work out and it felt like someone hit the left side of my chest with a sledge hammer. Then all of a sudden ,I had trouble breathing. I'm also 6'2" , 200lbs (Lanky), which from what I hear, is a very common build, in people getting a collapsed lung.
Yea, the profile is tall white male basketball player.
Roman121

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 04:44 am
@hootgibson,
I have a problem that sounds very similar to yours. After my lung collapsed, I got a chest tube on the right side. Now like an inch lower where the tube was inserted, I get this random muscle pain. Feels like it is between my ribs...

Either from benching or laying on my right side, this pain suddenly appears and then disappears later. A doctor I saw said it was a muscle. He said it wasn't my lung.

He didn't tell me a remedy to deal with this pain, just to maybe stop working out, which I said definately not!

I will probably see a doctor in the future to figure out a solution, as this pain is more of an annoying inconvenience, than something persistent. It is totally random and doesn't happen after every workout.
0 Replies

Susan23

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:18 pm
@hootgibson,
I strongly suggest getting a chest x-ray and/or CT scan. I've had 3 collapses on my right side. When the 3rd collapse happened, I had to have a VATS Pleurodesis... a 3 1/2 hour surgery. The surgery was in November 2011. Its now July 2012. I'm still recovering. Actually healed I believe but the effects of the surgery for someone my age (45) is extremely painful, but very necessary. It's been 10 months since the surgery and I'm still somewhat very debilitated. My doctor and thoracic surgeon were awesome. I also strongly suggest physical therapy after this particular surgery as well. God Bless you abundantly and I truly hope all is well with you !
Susan23

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:23 pm
@Arjuna,
I hope everything turned out okay for you. It sounds exactly like my experiences.
0 Replies

lovebug5543

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:08 am
@Susan23,
well i am only 27 .. feb/1/2012 about 7 months ago i got a real bad cough and some back and chest pain but not thinking it was bad , so i went to the doctor and found out i had a Spontaneous Pneumothorax ( collapse lung ) so i got a Chest tube and put in the hospital for 3 day . Then came home everything is fine til feb/20/2012 my lung collapse again but this time it was real bad i had to have surgery ( Thoracotomy ) and a chest tube i was in the hospital for % day that time and now 7 moths later the pain sometime is so unreal . I have good day and bad day my pain level stay between a 5 and 7 on a daily .. sorry for anyone that has to deal with anything thing like this but always remember that God can help get you through anything ..
0 Replies