BURNING KORANS IS A BAD IDEA

dyslexia

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:12 pm
@Eva,
I understand your thoughts but I think that would be an error and would actually incite more support for him (persecution of religion/free speech) it's the price we pay for democracy not at all unlike the concept "better a guilty man go free than to find an innocent man guilty"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
Because he's only practicing his free speech rights. I remember a few decades ago when some people in our country burned the American flag. Free speech.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay, let me put it this way. He has been warned by General Praetus (spelling) that doing this can, indeed, endanger the troops in muslim countries. So, since he has been warned I'm looking at he's at least doing some "reckless endangerment." If this incites a riot, can he be held accountable at all? Ashamedly, I don't know all that much about what the constitution says about free speech.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But I do believe there are or were laws about burning the flag making it illegal. I'll look it up.

Nope, it's not illegal. You were right. Learned something new today.
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
They are not liable until they break a law. As dys mentioned earlier, there is a law against yelling "fire" in a crowded building.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay but what I'm getting at is, if his Qu'ran burning causes riots can he be held accountable? It would be inciting a riot, right?
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:27 pm
@Arella Mae,
No. Only the people that participates in the riot.
dyslexia

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
@Arella Mae,
The flag of the United States is sometimes symbolically burnt, often in protest of the policies of the American government, both within the country and abroad. The United States Supreme Court has ruled that, due to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, it is unconstitutional for a government (whether federal, state, or municipality) to prohibit the desecration of a flag, due to its status as "symbolic speech."
The Flag Desecration Amendment, often referred to as the flag burning amendment, is a controversial proposed constitutional amendment to the United States Constitution that would allow the United States Congress to statutorily prohibit expression of political views through the physical desecration of the flag of the United States. The concept of flag desecration continues to provoke a heated debate over protecting a national symbol, protecting free speech, and protecting the liberty represented by a national symbol.

While the proposed amendment is most frequently referred to colloquially in terms of "flag burning," the language would permit the prohibition of all forms of flag desecration, which may take forms other than burning, such as using the flag for clothing or napkins.

The most recent attempt to adopt a flag desecration amendment failed in the United States Senate by one vote[1] on June 27, 2006.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay, I looked up inciting a riot and this is from an attorney:

Quote:
Q. What does the charge inciting a riot mean and what will happen?

-- Anonymous

A. Under federal law, a riot is a public disturbance involving an act of violence by one or more persons who are assembled in a group of at least three people. The act of violence must be one that presents a clear and present danger of injury to another person or damage to another person's property. Threatening to commit a violent act in such a group situation that could injure another person or damage property is also considered a riot if one of the persons in the group has the ability at the time to carry out the threatened violence.

Inciting a riot applies to a person who organizes, encourages, or participates in a riot. It can apply to one who urges or instigates others to riot. It does not apply to someone who merely advocates ideas or expresses beliefs, if those ideas and beliefs do not involve advocating violence.

The federal crime of inciting a riot carries a possible penalty of up to five years in prison a fine.

State and local governments also have laws that make it a crime to incite a riot. The penalties range from fines only to jail time. It is important that the law, even if only a municipal ordinance, specify the conduct that that is prohibited with sufficient definiteness that ordinary people can understand what conduct is prohibited.

If you have been charged with inciting a riot, I recommend you seek out a criminal defense lawyer in your area who can tell you exactly what conduct the law prohibits in your jurisdiction, and advise you as whether the law is subject to a challenge on the grounds that it is unconstitutionally vague--either because it fails to sufficiently set forth what conduct is prohibited, or fails to set minimal guidelines for police to use in enforcing the law.

-- Jeralyn Merritt
From that, it sure looks like you are right on the money about it CI.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Thanx dys.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:16 am
Here's the latest:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100910/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning

Miss Eva, he's still milking it!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:57 am
Just look at this ************.

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/D2/E97F247425B9210D38086DBB15F6D.jpg

I REST MY CASE.
Gargamel

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:58 am
He looks like a disgruntled pastry chef who was discovered jerking off into the batter.

And as far as "I am just a man trying to do what God has told us to do" goes, so was Mohammed Atta, and look what good that asshole did the world.
Arella Mae

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:23 am
@Gargamel,
He can say God told him to do it all he wants but it doesn't line up with the bible. It's not God telling him to do this. I'm more of the mind it's about PR for that book he wrote. This guy is a tongue-babbling Pentecostal whose elders wear guns in their services. Guns? His church has thirty members and they need guns? Absolute lunacy.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:30 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Just look at this ************.

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/D2/E97F247425B9210D38086DBB15F6D.jpg

I REST MY CASE.

Fred Phelps sez....Don't worry Pastor Jones, I got your back. We're all ready to start up our our bonfire on the other side of town.

http://gbookebook.netfirms.com/nosides/Fred_Phelps_10-29-2002.jpg
Arella Mae

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:43 am
@chai2,
It would not surprise me one bit to find out that is totally true.
chai2

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:47 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

It is.
They have stated that on their website.

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:52 am
What I find interesting about this issue is this. Conservatives keep telling us that moderate Muslims do not come out to speak out against terrorism. Well, where are all the moderate christians to speak out against Terry Jones Koran burning? What they should have done long before now is say they will burn ten (10) bibles for every Koran Jones burns.

That should shut him up!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:33 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

It is.
They have stated that on their website.

Oy
OmSigDAVID

Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:21 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I hope he goes ahead with the so-called "event" and the Gainesville police show up and arrest him for inciting a riot.
Or disturbing the peace. Or holding a bonfire without a permit.
Pick an offense...there would be plenty.

That would take a lot of the wind out of Muslim extremists' sails
if an American who wanted to burn Korans was actually put in jail for it. Might calm things down...for a while at least.
For a WHILE, yeah; win that battle, but lose the war.
The USSC has already voided a statute outlawing the burning of the American Flag.
That court woud have to support the Pastor to be consistent with that ruling.

(I am cognizant that free speech does not include inciting riots.
Will the Moslems be granted a hecklers' veto ?)

David