BURNING KORANS IS A BAD IDEA

Walter Hinteler

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:41 am
@InfraBlue,

Terry Jones Acccused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at Cologne Church.
Quote:
US fundamentalist pastor Terry Jones, who wants to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11, ran a church in the western German city of Cologne until last year when members of the congregation expelled him. Former members have spoken of his hate-filled sermons and insistence on "blind obedience."
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:36 am
I would not like burning Korans. Perhaps, it would suffice to have a Koran be placed next to a Torah for a few hours? I think the Koran would get the message of toleration.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If thay own the Korans,
then thay have the right to burn them, the same as hamburgers or porkchops.

Uh oh, you mentioned pork products in the same sentence with the Koran. That's probably not good.
hawkeye10

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:05 am
The time to burn Korans was back during the bitching about the cartoons. Doing it right would require burning some Bibles at the same time.
Butrflynet

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:09 am
I have an ethical question for you all.

Is there a difference between the recent draw Mohammad day that so many participated in and this planned burning of the Koran day?

If you participated in the draw Mohammad day protest but denounce the burning of the Koran, at what point do your ethics change and why?

Miller

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If thay own the Korans,
U have no right to squirt anyone and u r subject to self defense of the victims for your attacks.

U have as much right to wet them as we have to wet the workers who r building the offensive Mosque.

Thay have a legal right to litter their own property
with the Korans; u have no right to rob them of their Korans, as u plan.

Sweden is a TERRIFIC idea; u might like North Korea too.
GOOD BYE!!

David

I thought it was against the law in Kansas to burn books. You can legally burn
twigs, but not books. If that's the law, could the participants burn their Qurans in a large indoor furnance?

Isn't it the custom of Catholics to dispose of religious articles of no further use by burning?
Irishk

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I have an ethical question for you all.

Is there a difference between the recent draw Mohammad day that so many participated in and this planned burning of the Koran day?

If you participated in the draw Mohammad day protest but denounce the burning of the Koran, at what point do your ethics change and why?

Oof, I remember there being a couple threads on Draw Mohammed Day. I considered participating, but once it was cancelled I decided it probably wasn't a good idea anyway. I wouldn't burn a Koran (something Muslims hold dear to their hearts), or any book, and if drawing their prophet causes pain, I wouldn't do that either.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
Google image search.

Some good ones in there.

As to the topic... I doubt terrorists or extremists need any excuses for their actions. Some American flags will be burnt, some effigies hanged, some voices will rise in anger, but that's just another day in that world.

The preacher guy is a kook, but the media is having a field day with it. Perhaps if they just didn't cover it no one would know.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:56 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Isn't it the custom of Catholics to dispose of religious articles of no further use by burning?

Actually, Evangelicals/Protestants burnt that what they thought to be Catholic religious articles of no further use .... in the second half of 16th century.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But we know about yours, you hateful bigot. You're so ignorant, you believe the Taliban terrorists who did violence in our country are representative of all Muslims around the world.

You have no common sense, no logic, no knowledge of history - past and current, and support the very ideas contrary to what our country "should" be about. Equal rights for all that includes the freedom of religion, and equal protections under our laws.
cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:09 pm
@engineer,
engineer, I also worked in management, and trained other managers on interviewing techniques and how to verify their past employment record with their supervisor. When we called their previous employer, we always say up front, "this is off the record, and nothing will be recorded."

engineer

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish I had spent some time with you! Could have saved me a fair amount of hassle learning from you instead of learning the hard way.
engineer

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:17 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The preacher guy is a kook, but the media is having a field day with it. Perhaps if they just didn't cover it no one would know.

How true. Some kook with a small band of followers is driving the 24 hour news cycle.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
@engineer,
I've had the privilege to attend some great management training seminars during my working years. It was challenging and fun. The best ones were when we were broken down into small groups to solve management problems. After all the groups were finished after a given time frame, we compared notes to see who came up with the best solutions.

I used that same technique with the companies I worked for; they were very productive, because people do not want to look like dummies in front of everybody else.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The purpose of the 9/11/1 attacks was to scare and embarrass America.

Yes, and burning other's holy books is exactly the kind of wrong headed behavior they hoped would result.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:53 pm
@engineer,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Yet, I 've heard that their very young children
have been tawt in school, by religious teachers,
that we r horrible and dangerous because we r not Moslems.
engineer wrote:
That's an interesting rumor, but that's all it is.
O, Really ???

How do u know THAT, Engineer ??

What u wrote is VERY presumptuous.

(Do u always make naked presumptions like that, in your engineering ??)

What u wrote is also untrue, in addition to being presumptuous; that is NOT all it is.
Some years ago, I saw on 60 Minutes a piece
that thay did in Arabia, in the classroom, with some of the religious teachers,
quoting and translating from the toxicly anti-American schoolbooks
in use every day, continually.

It was undisputed.

engineer wrote:
Once, I was hiring for a new position and the best candidate had a rumor floating around about a personnel issue he had in a former job. One of the people on my review committee said "why take a risk if there is a rumor out there." My answer was that we don't make personnel decisions based on rumor and innuendo. We contacted the previous manager and found the rumor was inaccurate and spread maliciously,
so we hired him as he was the most qualified.
Benedict Arnold was one of the most QUALIFIED general officers in the Continental Army.
He is generally credited with winning the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, however, his LOYALTY was another matter.

That applies to anyone, Engineer.

engineer wrote:
Given the charged atmosphere in politics these days and the subjegation of truth to ideology,
I would be hesitant to believe things that "I've heard" about how children in foreign countries are taught.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm
@rosborne979,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If thay own the Korans,
rosborne979 wrote:
Uh oh, you mentioned pork products in the same sentence with the Koran. That's probably not good.
Yeah; probably right. Minimally, that 's worth the Moslems hi jacking a Cessna and driving it into a tent.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Y ?
OmSigDAVID

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
In my opinion, it is less likely
to get American soldiers or Marines killed.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:10 pm
@Miller,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If thay own the Korans,
U have no right to squirt anyone and u r subject to self defense of the victims for your attacks.

U have as much right to wet them as we have to wet the workers who r building the offensive Mosque.

Thay have a legal right to litter their own property
with the Korans; u have no right to rob them of their Korans, as u plan.

Sweden is a TERRIFIC idea; u might like North Korea too.
GOOD BYE!!

David
Miller wrote:
I thought it was against the law in Kansas to burn books.
You can legally burn twigs, but not books.
If that's the law, could the participants burn their Qurans in a large indoor furnance?

I dunno about the Catholics, but such a statute of Kansas
conflicts with the the Bill of Rights; note that the USSC has voided
statutes against burning the American Flag, on First Amendment grounds.

If outdoor BBQs are legal in Kansas,
it seems unlikely that it can ban burning Korans, as a matter of stopping free speech.
Its a lot like building a mosque in a place that triumphantly shows contempt for America.

David
0 Replies