THE FORWARD DIRECTION OF TIME

north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:46 pm

do we all view time as just a forward motion of things , today and tomorrow perspective , 12am > to 12pm perspective

but could it not also looked from the perspective that time also recycles

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,561 • Replies: 29
No top replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:48 pm
@north,
How do you mean? do you mean like the way I recycle things time and time again?
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

How do you mean? do you mean like the way I recycle things time and time again?

yes and so does the Universe
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:00 pm
@north,
that sounds very Greek to me.
dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:01 pm
If time is recycled do different end products result?
If i recycle plastic bottles sometimes I end up with plastic outdoor furniture. If i recycle the plastic outdoor furniture i may end up with plastic drainage pipes.

When I recycle my waste products often new raw material is added in order to achieve the result we desire.
Could it be the same with time?
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:03 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

that sounds very Greek to me.

perhaps but for now it is my idea

unless you show that the Greek thought of this before

regardless any other thoughts
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:06 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

If time is recycled do different end products result?
If i recycle plastic bottles sometimes I end up with plastic outdoor furniture. If i recycle the plastic outdoor furniture i may end up with plastic drainage pipes.

When I recycle my waste products often new raw material is added in order to achieve the result we desire.
Could it be the same with time?

but is the raw material recycled ?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:09 pm
@north,
I can only imagine that there have been people way before the Greeks that have recycled time and time again. Don't even animals do it even though they are not conscious of it?
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I can only imagine that there have been people way before the Greeks that have recycled time and time again. Don't even animals do it even though they are not conscious of it?

were getting on a tangent here

what I'm trying to say is that , time flow , as we most perceive it , has a single direction , forward

agreed or disagree
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:40 pm
@north,
I really have not thought about it indepth, from what I have been told it is a measurement, "kind of like what is taken by a tape measure and it is used to measure elapse between events. Good luck though on you quest RSL
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I really have not thought about it indepth, from what I have been told it is a measurement, "kind of like what is taken by a tape measure and it is used to measure elapse between events. Good luck though on you quest RSL

your right time is just that , a measure of the elapse between events

based on the object(s) involved and their nature
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:00 pm
@north,
Thanks North, you are well informed you will be able to help many that read your work.
Learning can be fun!
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Thanks North, you are well informed you will be able to help many that read your work.
Learning can be fun!

so you have read my work or have been exposed to it !!!

otherwise by whom , to your last post ?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:18 pm
@north,
Well north the sad truth is that I have a bad memory I did learn about here and yes it could have been from you. I could research my post to see where I read it at. Do you know weather it was from you in the past or not?
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Well north the sad truth is that I have a bad memory I did learn about here and yes it could have been from you. I could research my post to see where I read it at. Do you know weather it was from you in the past or not?

then from where ? or from whom ?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:30 pm
@north,
I told you that I learned about it here and I am asking are you the only one that you know of that has explained the concept of time? It very well may have been from you that is why I am asking. I thought that it may have been known by many and I just did not know of it as of yet. I am new to philosophy less than one year and I have read thousands of post and I do not remember all that I have read. I seem to be getting a general of things though.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:33 pm
@north,
north wrote:

You mean that once time runs long enough, it will eventually loop back to this current moment, as if you traveled around the Earth?

It's a fascinating idea, no doubt. But I don't think it would work; the Second Law of Thermodynamics prohibits it:
  1. Because the universe "now" would be the same as the universe "now, but one turn of the time-loop later", so would its entropy.
  2. But by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, entropy in a closed system can only increase, and the universe as a whole is a closed system.
  3. Consequently, the entropy of the universe "now, but one turn of the loop later" must be higher than its entropy "now".
How would you reconcile your idea with the Second Law of Thermodynamics?
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:40 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

north wrote:

You mean that once time runs long enough, it will eventually loop back to this current moment, as if you traveled around the Earth?

It's a fascinating idea, no doubt. But I don't think it would work; the Second Law of Thermodynamics prohibits it:
  1. Because the universe "now" would be the same as the universe "now, but one turn of the time-loop later", so would its entropy.
  2. But by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, entropy in a closed system can only increase, and the universe as a whole is a closed system.
  3. Consequently, the entropy of the universe "now, but one turn of the loop later" must be higher than its entropy "now".
How would you reconcile your idea with the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

balance

for example sooner or later the moon will be turned into energy

either by collision from travelling matter or by us
Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:48 pm
@north,
north wrote:
balance

Maybe, but that's the easy part. The hard part is, how do you convert the energy back into the moon? If time loops back, and if in three gazillion years time would come back to this very moment---now---there would have to be a time somewhere in the loop where the energy produces the moon again. It is this part that would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
north

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:55 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

north wrote:
balance

Maybe, but that's the easy part. The hard part is, how do you convert the energy back into the moon? If time loops back, and if in three gazillion years time would come back to this very moment---now---there would have to be a time somewhere in the loop where the energy produces the moon again. It is this part that would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

think of a super-nova explosion

it is caused by the imblance of matter within the star

which in a sense is the samething as the moon situation I mentioned before

except that the mass is recycled in a faster way