Does common sense exist?

Thomas33

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
@cg2028,
It does exist but society requires it not to. The presence of rationality is the absence of nations and society.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 03:20 pm
@Thomas33,
It exists, but is becoming rarer and rarer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 03:21 pm
@RABEL222,
In some quarters, it's totally gone. And I mean in the US.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 05:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
In some quarters, it's totally gone. And I mean in the US.

I know what you mean and I can agree but take a look at it from a different point of view.

Most people seem to share a "common sense". It may not have anything in common with you or I but they do seem to share a distorted reality that seems sensible and common to them.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:09 pm
Does anyone here think that this would be something most common people would enjoy or is it just you and a few others or a few others and not you?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:21 pm
@reasoning logic,
Genius!
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:42 am
@cg2028,
It does but it is greatly affected by personal morality. Laziness will make a person less likely to care to apply what they know. Repeated deviations from CS (as in conscience) will dull it. And education that makes people feel stupid when in the room with a PhD is one of the great evils of our time.

But, yes, it certainly exists. For a long time it went under the title of the Perennial Philosophy.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Naah, I don't buy that. This is the old argument that Bach might be inferior to Beyonce in 'some' cultures. The culture might be inferior !! But not Beyonce. Have you never been around students who say 'Shakespeare is boring and stupid'. Who says that? Boring and stupid people do.

Common sense is largely common across all cultures and that is why the moer a culture esteems literacy and education and right use of the mind, the more it has a reputation for common sense and wisdom. I think of the Jews (though I am a Catholic)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:49 am
@AugustineBrother,
Music, as in art, is very subjective. Common sense is in the eye of the beholder. Do you know why people believe in god?
0 Replies

saw038

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 06:27 pm
@cg2028,
I think common sense applies to appropriately inferring from the basic constructs that help guide us through life.

For example, the idea of time, space, existence, causality (all a priori things).

So, if something relies on being able to infer an answer using these simple notions of time, place (space), or causality, then I would call that common sense.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 06:36 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
So, if something relies on being able to infer an answer using these simple notions of time, place (space), or causality, then I would call that common sense.

Would that be as simple as me saying that if it is common to what I think to be true then it must be common and sensible to me? "commonsense"
saw038

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 06:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't think referring back to one self is appropriate because it may seem 'sensible to me' but my thoughts may be insensible to the majority of other humans.

Rather, I was referring to more of a usage where the person used an inference based upon these a priori constructs and accurately conveyed a logical conclusion to another human.

For example, if I were in trouble with the law and my alibi stated that I was no where near the crime scene when it took place. Then the police concluding that I am no longer a viable suspect is based their common sense; I cannot be both in one place and another place simultaneously.

This is of course so basic, but that is why it would fall under the category of common sense.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 08:56 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
I don't think referring back to one self is appropriate because it may seem 'sensible to me' but my thoughts may be insensible to the majority of other humans.

Do you think that other humans agree with your premise or do you think that common sense to them is what is common to their own belief?
saw038

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 09:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
I truly don't know! I am truly posting my opinion and somewhat hoping that other people might agree with me... because other people agreeing with me, makes me realize there are other people out there that might think like me.

From my limited standpoint, I only see what I perceive or can define as common sense, but it is up to the masses to decide if what I describe are unique to solely me, or me, being a human, may be hitting on a fundamental trait of how our minds work.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 09:25 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
I truly don't know! I am truly posting my opinion and somewhat hoping that other people might agree with me... because other people agreeing with me, makes me realize there are other people out there that might think like me.

Has it ever accrued to you that your way of thinking might be more advanced than the average joe?

What may be seen as commonsense by you might be seen as stupidity by Joe.
saw038

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 09:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
But, just because I spend the time to think and explain something in words doesn't mean that other people might be doing it implicitly; that is, they may be already be doing automatically the thing I am trying to explain analytically.

It is like trying to describe your heart beating or breathing, you might be able to define it but that is what I would refer to 'physiological' commonsense; and, likewise, their is also 'mental' unconscious commonsense, such as biases and whatnot.

The point is, we know not what we don't know; therefore, we may be very unaware of the commonsense mental assumptions or biases we are making because it was never even brought into our conscious awareness.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:56 am
Does culture exist ? Do averages exist ? Does statistics is real ?
Common sense is a set of opinions with proximity not ONE opinion about any query...
0 Replies