Bacon Factoids

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:51 pm
@Setanta,
I don't think so, but it is really good with eggs. Unlike real salt, it has almost no flavor without a little bit of oil or fat for the flavor to travel. However egg whites fried with a dab of olive oil and bacon salt is tasty.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 02:59 pm
Quote:
I've seen beef cheeks in carnicerias as "cacheta de res." In Anaheim, the Gigante supermarket usually carries them for about $2 / pound.

This is from one of the many recipe blogs online--can''t remember which one.
Here in Albuquerque, we have a Gigante Super market, filled with all things Mexican and yummy as well as regular, everyday food.

Osso, we have to go the Gigante and look at the cacheta de res and find out if their cacheta's are spiced similarly to the Italian so that we could try recipes both Italian and Mexican.

Dys and I stopped at a little Mexican restaurant on Central that served cheeks. I didn't have the heart to eat a poor little pig's cheeks, so, I will have to remind myself of the T-shirts at Rudy's BBQ; "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain just to eat veggies."

Thanks for the thread, goshisdead.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:13 pm
@Diane,
Hmm, and also the Ranch Market.. ever deserving of a visit..

I'd use the Batali recipe from Babbo's in the earlier post ... sounds easy enough (famous last words). Hey, if I can render lard, I can learn how to make guanciale.. she says.

Rereading the recipe, it would have to be hung in my garage in early winter, I suppose..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:26 pm
@GoshisDead,
I might not have looked at that, what an idea, bacon ice cream, what will they think of next, but saw it was Lebovitz -
strange to me, but if he liked it... and his butcher liked it, I might.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:14 pm
@Diane,
Quote:
I've seen beef cheeks in carnicerias as "cacheta de res." In Anaheim, the Gigante supermarket usually carries them for about $2 / pound.

Around here it's called barbacoa, which is short for barbacoa de cachete de res.
You can just say barbacoa, and it's understood that you're asking for slow cooked beef cheeks.
Traditionally it's served in soft corn tortilla tacos with cilantro, diced onions and red chile salsa.

mmm, barbacoa. . .
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
The guanciale cheeks are 1) pork, and 2) not cooked, but fresh, to be brined, like (if I remember) pancetta is.

Not that beef cheeks aren't interesting too.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
It looks like Whole Foods carries La Quercia guanciale, already brined, etc. I've looked up ordering from La Quercia itself before, for their prosciutto and pancetta, etc. Waaay out of my budget.

So, I'm still looking for pork cheeks to brine me-self. Here, little piggy....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
But now I want to try Barbacoa...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
When I still farmed I cured my own bacon, smoked it in an an old refrigerator I rebuilt as a smoker, Used apple wood, smoked my rashers and hams (note "rashers" of back bacon not sowbelly sowbelly is what they sell in the USA calling it bacon).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@Diane,
Someday, when all is quiet I'll have to tell you about the pig ear sandwiches from Pointy's, at Five Points in Denver. The story is not about the sandwiches.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:40 pm
@GoshisDead,
mmmmmmm there's some Smithfield bacon in the fridge

and there's a nice garden tomato, just ripe

forget the lettuce

bacon/tomato/mayo

yum yum yum
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Reminds me the blt sandwich we often ate at the base cafeteria while stationed in Morocco. That was over 50 years ago.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Great idea. All that lettuce adds is color, and green isn't my favorite.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:02 pm
@roger,
Almost anything can be taste improved just by wrapping it in bacon.
I eat my bacon with my baconaneggs as a finger food. Crispy bacon should stand erect and allow us to pick it up in the hand and nibble it down .
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 12:35 pm
Bacon smells so nice when cooking, mmmm.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:15 am

all heed...

(#7 in puhticular)

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/bacon.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:27 pm

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/exercise.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Top 10 Bacon Quotes from Homer Simpson

1: “(Lisa) “I’m going to become a vegetarian” (Homer) “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?” “Yes” “Bacon?” “Yes Dad” Ham?” “Dad all those meats come from the same animal” “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!”"

2: “Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals.”
“When you’re in my house you shall do as I do and believe who I believe in.

3: So Bart butter your bacon.”

4: “Is it Bacon Day?”

5: “Mmmm. Move over, eggs. Bacon just got a new best friend – fudge.”

6: “Not again! First you took away my Philly Fudgesteak. And then my Bacon Balls. Then my Whatchamachicken. You monster!”

7: Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat? (Homer looks excited.
Waitress: I was kidding.
Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
Waitress: No he doesn’t!

8: “[strained] You know that feeling you get when a thousand knives of fire are stabbing you in the heart? I’m having that right now…[normal] Ooh, bacon!”

9: “Mmm … bacon”

10: “Mmm … unexplained bacon”

http://www.royalbaconsociety.com/2008/03/12/top-10-bacon-quotes-from-homer-simpson/
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Still enjoy my bacon with sunnyside up eggs and pancakes. Wink Coffee, of coarse!
0 Replies