2010-2011 Flu Season

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:16 pm
Walgreens and CVS are already offering flu shots! Isn't it a tad early?

Do you get flu shots? Every year? Why or why not? If they are ready this early, does that mean they may be less effective?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,721 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:28 pm
@littlek,
Yes, I get them, but I get them at my clinic, whenever my next appointment will be. (November?)

It does seem earlier than usual, not that I pay all that much attention. If so, I don't know if that impacts effectiveness.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@littlek,
I get a flu shot every year because it's free at the VA hospital.

Every year I do get the flu shot, I tend to never get sick that year (perhaps a small cough or a slight runny nose associated with a minor cold).

It could be early because they may have noticed that flu outbreaks are occurring early elsewhere in the world. Or perhaps the companies that manufacture the vaccine finally made enough of the bloody vaccine so they won't constantly cry <<<we don't have enough vaccine to go around>>>. The battle cry they have given the past decade or so....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
No, it won't be less effective, if anything I think it'll be more effective.

It takes time for the innoculation to work into your system. I'm thinking a lot of people think they get the shot and they are immediatley covered. Not so.

From my understanding, this year they are not expecting shortages.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:34 pm
@ossobuco,
It's earlier than usual, but I don't see a problem. It does take a while to become effective, and I think getting it done before flu season is better. I understand that this year's shot contains two likely strains and the H1N1 all in one injection.

This is normally covered under Medicare A, for what it's worth.
talk72000

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:46 pm
@littlek,
I took flu shots in school when I was seven or eight but not since. I just keep my insides moist and some orange juice handy. Chicken soup, Vitamin C pills and/or stress pills consisting of Vitamins C and Vitamins B Complex keep me out of trouble.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:46 pm
@roger,
Right. My clinic billed me last year, but upon remonstrance, caught their mistake.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:48 pm
I'm actually more worried about whooping cough, if that explodes in numbers of people affected, as I've never had it, never been vaccinated for it. (It's hitting the news in California.) There is a vaccine, and I'll call about it.
jespah

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been getting them for years, since someone close to me got cancer. I've often gotten them free via work, or for some cheapie amount ($5?) through CVS. Or free if I'm already at my doctor's office anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Really? I got a combination shot at VA in January that included whooping cough, diptheria, and tetnus. I just assumed it was donated medicine so someone could generate a tax writeoff from something they couldn't sell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@littlek,
Im gonna get a pneumonia shot this year too. That means iM gonna be in the old farts club.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
Good idea. There is some thought that most fatalities from the Spanish flu were actually from pneumonia. Also covered if you care, but only once every 5 years.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:32 pm
@roger,
HAs there ever been any reports of the vaccine for p[nweumonia being responsible FOR inducing any pneumonia like illnesses?
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
I never heard of such, but that's not the same as saying such reports don't exist. I will mention that it is strongly recommended.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:09 pm
Hey y'all, I went to the CDC to cross check the CVS site. They had some good general flu vaccine info (and had pneumonia vaccine info, too). This year's shot is for H1N1, and two other viruses.

The reason I speculated about efficacy is that they develop the vaccine based on what viruses look likely to be most problematic. Then it takes months to develop the brew. So, if the vaccine is ready early, how long could they have been studying new viruses?

Anyway, I also get a flu vaccine (mostly) yearly. I'll probably go to CVS again - it was super fast and convenient.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:26 pm
The year before I got into medicare I went to Walgreen's here, but there was only one of them anywhere near me, say seven miles away, of all the Walgreen's in town, that actually did the vaccinations. I hope that's improved in the meantime. If I remember, Flu + Pneumo were $20.00.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Walgreens and CVS are already offering flu shots! Isn't it a tad early?

I think it is smart for the shots to be available earlier. Kids are back in school and spreading their germs around to each other and then bringing them home so their parents can then share them with everyone at work.

Getting the shots earlier may help break that cycle so it stays within the home and doesn't get spread to the workplace.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:59 am
The flu season has hit our house, our little man woke up with a sore throat and a cough, his nurse daddy is taking care of him today.
0 Replies