I know I'm doing a good job and everything, but the workload...

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:48 pm
I started at BK on the 11th and at my job before that, I was so used to labor being kept at 23%. That means 23% of the sales goes to the employees. It labor's too high, the restaurant gets less money. If it's too low, we get our asses kicked bc customers aren't being served as quickly. Anyhow, at my new job, they try to keep labor at 16%.

I love my job and everything, but I got twice the workload as I used to and we're always getting our asses kicked. I'm not very organized and don't multitask as well as others to begin with. That make me suck at running orders and cashing ppl out at the same time. I also have to be responsible for lobby. **** but I do love my job bc I like working with ppl there and they pay benefits, so I just suck it up.

I know I'm always gonna be up to my neck so I will get used to it, but when I'm visibly stressed in front of customers, I'm a **** up. ppl r always telling me to calm the **** down and that couldn't be a good sign. What can I do about the workload?

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:44 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Quit worrying about the accounting issues.

Don't try to do two things at once. They want you to, so make it look good, but it's a good way to make problems at the counter.

The good part of being overworked is that you are hard to replace. Keep hanging in there.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:55 pm
@roger,
I love being hard to replace Smile

What really screwed me over was when a customer's credit card got declined during lunch rush and I yelled out, "His card just got declined and i don't know what to do!" I didn't find out until someone told me that he got embarrassed.

However, I have been doing a good job. I learn quickly (?) and work my ass off and I have been keeping up, although with extra effort. Ain't nobody pissed with me. If someone will like to job share with me, please stand up.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Even if you didn't learn quickly, there is probably enough turnover that in a few months you will be who the newbies go to for advice.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Quote:
I started at BK on the 11th

Congrats!

Regarding the stressful workload, are you still in your training period? If so, ask the person doing the training if there is anyway you can improve your work procedures so you'll be more efficient and appear less stressed to your customers. Ask them during a break, away from the customers' ears.

If you are out of the training period, during one of your breaks sit and watch the person doing your job for you while on break and compare how they do things to how you do them. See if there is something they are doing more efficiently.

What is getting in your way when it comes to multi-tasking and being better organized? That's where you can start your improvement efforts. Detail the problems here for us and maybe we can help you figure out how to get better at it.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 09:49 am
Glad the job is going relatively well.

Here is something I know, and I don't often share on this site things I actually know, so this is a special moment, but dig: yelling is causing you problems.

Whatever happens, don't yell. You can freak out, it's going to happen sometimes, but when you freak out, don't yell. Maybe go in back and yell/whisper. You know, like whisper fervently.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:18 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Welcome to my world - this has been going on since the economy sank - only difference is - my world load has doubled with less money (no raises last year and lower bonuses) -but I have a job and am not laid off.

Just realize it is only work and do the best you can. It all gets done in the end.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm already out of my training period, but I can always ask someone how I could improve. I mean I do keep up fine. I just take more efoort than others. I guess my brain is not wired to multitask, but I think it's possible to get used to the workload. I yelled about the credit card getting declined which is what I'm REALLY worried about. My mgr may not be pissed with me, but how could I ensure that **** don't happen in the future?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:59 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

I yelled about the credit card getting declined which is what I'm REALLY worried about. My mgr may not be pissed with me, but how could I ensure that **** don't happen in the future?

Put yourself in their shoes and use the FAST system (I mentioned it to you in another thread a few weeks ago) to slow yourself down a bit.

If you were the manager of a fast food place, would you want one of your employees to start an argument with you in front of the customers? FAST = ask manager to speak with her privately when she has a moment..

If you were the customer of a fast food place, would you want the cashier to yell across the room that your credit card had just been declined? FAST = tell customer you are having a problem with the transaction, ask supervisor to assist you with what you are unsure about and then quietly explain the problem to the supervisor.

Here's the post where I described the FAST system in case you've forgotten:

http://able2know.org/topic/159672-2#post-4312570
0 Replies