Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:09 pm
I have a question about you and how you feel about your relationship with politics these days.

I know you're politically conservative, but lot's of people identify this way. The observable here seems to be that your politics and behaviors seem pretty static and sober. Can you speculate what about the last two years has created this void I perceive?

Why didn't the whole Tea Party movement appeal to you? Perhaps, this is the wrong question, but maybe you get what I'm asking.

We don't have to go into specific political topics. I'm simply trying to tune my sympathy here, and understand alternate views. I struggle to believe many people even have good intentions anymore. You're someone that while I disagree often on matters political, I believe your sincerity.

Can you describe your current relationship with the modern conservative movement, and perhaps showcase who in it you think should be the new heroes so to speak. Who in the GOP is the most sincere and intelligent in your opinion?

A
R
Thanks.

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:51 pm
@failures art,
I appologize for not seeing this thread sooner.
If you will allow, I will respond to this tonight when I get home from work.

So look for my response tomorrow.
failures art

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm
@mysteryman,
You didn't make me wait. lol. I just put it up. I look forward to your reply. I would have made this a PM, but a2k still has a head cold.

A
R
T
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:10 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm interested too, same reason.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:52 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I know you're politically conservative, but lot's of people identify this way. The observable here seems to be that your politics and behaviors seem pretty static and sober. Can you speculate what about the last two years has created this void I perceive

I call myself a conservative, but many people call me a libertarian. I guess it really doesnt matter what n iche people try to fit in, as long as they hold on to their beliefs and principles.

Yes, my politics really havent changed over the years, but lets concentrate on the last two.
I do not believe that the current admin is the best for this country right now, but I do believe that they are trying. I believe that liberals and conservatives are both going in the same direction, but taking different paths to get there.
I have my core beliefs, no matter what party is in power, and those will not change. Yes, I will listen to other views, and can even be persuaded to change my mind on some issues, but my core beliefs havent changed.
The best way I know to illustrate my core beliefs is to direct you here...

http://able2know.org/topic/26182-1

That was a thread I started a long time ago that lists my core beliefs.
You will notice that I havent changed from those beliefs.

Quote:
Why didn't the whole Tea Party movement appeal to you?

In the beginning they did.
I liked the idea of a smaller govt, and still do.
However, as they got more radical and more strident in their anti everytthing views, I began to see that while the original idea was a good one, it was being corrupted by those on the right that only wanted their voice heard, and I do not believe in that.
They became to radical, to wacky, to removed from my principles, and I wanted nothing to do with them.
Quote:

Can you describe your current relationship with the modern conservative movement, and perhaps showcase who in it you think should be the new heroes so to speak. Who in the GOP is the most sincere and intelligent in your opinion?

In many ways I believe that I am outside the modern conservative movement.
I do think that govt needs to be smaller, I do think that govt spending (fed, state, and local) needs to be reduced to as little as possible, but in so many ways I disagree with the modern conservatives.

I am anti abortion, but I also believe that I dont have the right to tell a woman they cant have one. But I do believe I have the right to try and change her mind. After all, thats what pro-CHOICE means.
I dont care about Obama's birth certificate.
I dont think that his religion matters.
I am not totally against helping those that need it, but I do think that only those here legally or those who are US citizens should get the help (welfare, food stamps, AFDC, etc)
I firmly believe that what you do in your bedroom is none of my business, as long as its between consenting adults.
I do support capitol punishment.

I am also a firm believer in personal responsibility.
That means that you are responsible for your actions, and that you willingly accept the consequences of those actions, no matter what those consequences are.

As for who I think the most most sincere and intelligent person is in the GOP right now, I really havent any idea.
I was burned by Sarah Palin.
I thought she was a rising star in the GOP, but once she left Alaska we all found out just how wrong I was.
So FOR NOW, I dont think I can answer that question.

Sorry for such a long answer, but I couldnt answer your questions in a simple paragraph.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:57 pm
@mysteryman,
Thank you, mm.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:01 am
@mysteryman,
Thanks MM. If in the future, you feel you see positive developments/people in in the GOP, I'll be interested in you sharing your thoughts on them.

A
R
T
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 08:27 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I am anti abortion, but I also believe that I dont have the right to tell a woman they cant have one. But I do believe I have the right to try and change her mind. After all, thats what pro-CHOICE means.
I dont care about Obama's birth certificate.
I dont think that his religion matters.
I am not totally against helping those that need it, but I do think that only those here legally or those who are US citizens should get the help (welfare, food stamps, AFDC, etc)
I firmly believe that what you do in your bedroom is none of my business, as long as its between consenting adults.
I do support capitol punishment.

I am also a firm believer in personal responsibility.
That means that you are responsible for your actions, and that you willingly accept the consequences of those actions, no matter what those consequences are.

We are very similar. I don't support capital punishment and I'm not too willing to be aggressive in the abortion decision, but I was nodding along with you otherwise.

I describe myself as a fiscal conservative, social liberal, libertarian-leaning independent. It's a long label but it pretty much fits what you've written about yourself.
0 Replies