Time To Boycott EA games?

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:14 pm
LONDON (AP) — Britain's defense secretary says a video game that allows players to adopt the role of the Taliban is a "tasteless product" and is calling on retailers not to sell it. Liam Fox says it's "shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban." The game, called "Medal of Honor," is produced by California-based Electronic Arts Inc.

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:55 pm
http://www.hindustantimes.com/UK-defence-chief-says-video-game-with-Taliban-role-disgusting/Article1-590379.aspx
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:00 pm
@RexRed,
A boycott only works if the people who are boycotting are the people who normally buy the product. I doubt anyone who enjoys EA games cares, and I suspect the people who are upset by this aren't the customer base of EA games.

In my opinion, getting upset by entertainment is silly, and boycotts are useless. The boycott against "The Last Temptation of Christ" got me to shell out good money to see it (in my opinion, it was a waste of money). The outcry against Grand Theft Auto (a superb game) made it even more fun.

Video games, like the controversial novels, movies and TV shows are fiction. No real person is getting hurt, it is pure fantasy. The shock value is part of the fun.

Boycotts to oppose real crimes are worthwhile. The grape boycott against mistreatment of farm workers, or the divestment movement to oppose apartheid in South Africa were both worthwhile and effective.

But fiction is a very different issue.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:00 pm
By the way, is this game any good? With the free advertising it is getting I might just go buy it.
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
@maxdancona,
I won't buy the piece of **** game. I don't care how nice the err, graphics are or how much blood they can animate... Like the "mafia wars" game... how retarded... It glorifies the current Afghan war and perpetuates our enemy's stance. I already know what it is about. It is a training game to teach people unorthodox ways of killing as many civilians as possible with a single hand grenade. If you play as a Taliban fighter you are trained in the game in their ruthless methods of blood lust. Why? So they can subjugate women and free societies... Some information i.e. how to make bombs and such should not be in a stupid game or online for all crackpots and wanna be suicide bombers to read... This "game" belongs in the realm of the military and should not be marketed as a "game" towards children or any civilians world wide. You know careless parents will allow their kids to play it and then we will have home grown terrorists employing the same tactics columbine style. That and wikileaks... the enemy is within... SHAME ON EA GAMES...

Buy it and I hope you are the first to become a victim of your own folly...

And err, ummm advertisement is how a good boycott is organized too... So if you want to toss out money to support sworn enemies of freedom GO FOR IT....

We would not have so many restrictions on our freedoms and patriot acts if it were not for these religious fascists... What freedom will we lose next due to the Taliban and Al Qaeda? Are games depicting murderous rampages really necessary? What kind of sociopaths and child molesters dream these up and call them GAMES?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:52 pm
@RexRed,
"What freedom will we lose next due to the Taliban and Al Qaeda?"

rex, what freedoms have they cost you so far?

and how?
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Everything we type privately into a chat or say on the phone is recorded by our government... How do you think the get "chatter"? Have you even read the patriot act? The patriot act was enacted after 9/11 directly in response to terrorists groups such as Al Queda and the Taliban... Have you been to an airport recently? If so, tired or being radiated with nuclear x-rays and photographed nude just to make sure you don't have plastic explosives strapped to your leg? Err, ummm this is not imaginary... anti terrorism costs the American tax payers billions. A game like this only adds fuel to the fire, the game company makes money off fear and American vulnerabilities and the price tag goes up on our national security and we lose more freedoms every day.

This game is tantamount to this game company EA revealing our military strategies to our enemy (homegrown or abroad) and it is traitorous. This is a current ongoing operation and conflict and the last thing we need is EA games glorifying our enemies and their unconscionable methods of murder and mayhem...
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:06 pm
@RexRed,
the Taliban did not implement those measures. GW bush and mr cheney did.

they are the ones that took your freedom. you let them blame it on the taliban.
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:06 pm
@RexRed,
everything? Shocked

sweet Cool

hey obama you probable muslim, **** you fuckstick

hello, is this thing on

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:11 pm
@RexRed,
1. This is entertainment, nothing else. Playing video games my kids and I have been a Nazi, a hitman, a goblin from the Lord of the Rings, a demon lord, a Ninja assassin and Darth Vader. So what? These are fantasy roles.

I am certain (because I play these games) that the Taliban is being used in a villain role. The Taliban in video games are cartoon characters... although they have the name of a real militant group, the video game version will have very little similarity to the real Taliban.

This is fiction.

2. Your outrage isn't costing them any money. Sure, you wont buy the game. This only matters to EA games if you buy bloody video games in the first place.

3. You are helping EA games earn more money. There are 59 views to this thread so far, multiply this by similar outrage on other forums and newscasts. This type of controversy adds to the hype of the game. Somewhere some marketing executive at EA games loves you.

4. There is no connection between EA games (a western profit-making company that any religious fundamentalist would oppose) and the Taliban. I am familiar with this type of game... they certainly are using the Taliban as a villain.

People buying this game are supporting a company that makes rather enjoyable video games.

5. The idea that someone can learn to be a terrorist by repeatedly pushing the "X" button on a Playstation controller is laughable. These are entertainment games. The idea that you could learn to build a bomb from a video game, when you wouldn't be able to Google it and find it on any number of websites designed to teach bomb making, is laughable.

6. This is a free speech matter.

I hope you see the irony that it is freedom that allows EA games to make these video games (which are protected by the 1st amendment).

I bet the Taliban would agree with you that EA games should be banned.
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:11 pm
@Rockhead,
And Obama renewed the patriot act (with a couple of minor adjustments). They must have made sense in this post 9/11 mentality even to the most liberal member of the senate (our now president)....

The patriot act was a response to 9/11 it would be like.

Shall I define what the word "response" means? Like if you have a fire you RESPOND by throwing water on it... How about appeasement? Do you need a definition of that?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@RexRed,
you define whatever you want, it's your silly little thread...

does John Madden know about this?
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I hope you see the irony that it is freedom that allows EA games to make these video games (which are protected by the 1st amendment).

exactly, the taliban outlawed kite flying
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

1. This is entertainment, nothing else. Playing video games my kids and I have been a Nazi, a hitman, a goblin from the Lord of the Rings, a demon lord, a Ninja assassin and Darth Vader. So what? These are fantasy roles.

I am certain (because I play these games) that the Taliban is being used in a villain role. The Taliban in video games are cartoon characters... although they have the name of a real militant group, the video game version will have very little similarity to the real Taliban.

This is fiction.

2. Your outrage isn't costing them any money. Sure, you wont buy the game. This only matters to EA games if you buy bloody video games in the first place.

3. You are helping EA games earn more money. There are 59 views to this thread so far, multiply this by similar outrage on other forums and newscasts. This type of controversy adds to the hype of the game. Somewhere some marketing executive at EA games loves you.

4. There is no connection between EA games (a western profit-making company that any religious fundamentalist would oppose) and the Taliban. I am familiar with this type of game... they certainly are using the Taliban as a villain.

People buying this game are supporting a company that makes rather enjoyable video games.

5. The idea that someone can learn to be a terrorist by repeatedly pushing the "X" button on a Playstation controller is laughable. These are entertainment games. The idea that you could learn to build a bomb from a video game, when you wouldn't be able to Google it and find it on any number of websites designed to teach bomb making, is laughable.

And I bet you let your kids play "grand theft auto" where they "role play" as you say, as gangsters and steal cars and run over pedestrians and pick up hookers too...?

You are a lousy parent and even less of a person...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:16 pm
Quote:
The Taliban may not be returning anytime soon, but if some Afghan lawmakers have their way, Taliban-era laws will once again reign over the country. Last week, a group of members of parliament (MPs) put forth draft legislation that would ban T-shirts, loud music, women and men mingling in public, billiards, video games, playing with pigeons, and more – all regulations from the notorious Taliban era.

The move is the most recent attempt by religious conservatives to restrict "un-Islamic influences." Many observers say it's the latest sign of growing Talibanization in Afghanistan.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2008/0421/p01s03-wosc.html
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
as soon as the coalition forces are gone the taliban will be the government again
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:21 pm
@djjd62,
Maybe they will learn to govern fairly from a video game. In that case, EA games will be a hero.
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you define whatever you want, it's your silly little thread...

does John Madden know about this?

And should we allow under the first amendment, plans to make bombs on the internet? How about how to successfully procure weapons, drugs and shoot up a school? And shouting fire in a movie theater? Listen, I play war strategy games but USUALLY the enemy is from decades ago and long forgotten in the minds of today. We are not currently burying people from Hitlers war... HOW INSENSITIVE! I use weapons in these games but I would and will NOT play a game that teaches the Taliban's methods of war period!

These methods are for military generals to plot against for news papers to print and for "civilized" people to gasp at their barbarity... Not to call it a GAME for children to role play as in ROLE MODELS!
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
The Taliban may not be returning anytime soon, but if some Afghan lawmakers have their way, Taliban-era laws will once again reign over the country. Last week, a group of members of parliament (MPs) put forth draft legislation that would ban T-shirts, loud music, women and men mingling in public, billiards, video games, playing with pigeons, and more – all regulations from the notorious Taliban era.

The move is the most recent attempt by religious conservatives to restrict "un-Islamic influences." Many observers say it's the latest sign of growing Talibanization in Afghanistan.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2008/0421/p01s03-wosc.html

Yes and a dog will vomit and eat it again too and your point is?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
@RexRed,
you just showed kids how to yell "you know what" in a movie theater... Shocked

if I wanna know how to make a bomb, ima figure it out.

all the internet does is give me 25 wrong ways to sort through in getting there...