The best take on the "Mosque" controversy (Jon Stewart).

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 11:23 am
Jon Stewart, again, has the most rational take on the Mosque controversy. Worth watching in its entirety.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-16-2010/mosque-erade

Quote:
Sure, Catholics have the right to build a church next to a playground, but should they?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,998 • Replies: 13

Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Hi Max, I tried the link but it said it's not available in my country, (UK). Could you give me a couple of key points he made? Thanks.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:19 pm
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline,

Is Daily Show really blocked? That is too bad.

A quick synopsis, first Stewart shows Obama's two response, first bravely stating that Muslims have rights, then walking it back and refusing to take a position on whether they "should".

Later John Oliver continues this point saying that Catholics have the right to build a church next to a playground, "but should they?". Of course they take this further, Oliver stating to Stewart (who is Jewish) that he has the right to wear a "skull cap" on Good Friday, the day the Jews "murdered" Jesus, but "should they?" (if you don't know the show this type of absurdist comedy is typical to them as understood by everyone in their audience).

He also skewers Glen Beck's hypocrisy in his argument that the imam behind the mosque is "extremist" . First we see Beck quoting the imam saying that while America didn't deserve the attack, part of the reason that the attack happened was Americas policies in the middle east. Then we see a clip of Beck himself saying that while America didn't deserve the attack, part of the reason that the attack happened was America's policies in the middle east.

Quite funny stuff. And quite politically relevant in a way that only comedy can be.

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:21 pm
My son told me about this. Good point!
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks for your post Max, the show looks interesting.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Was that last night's show? At one point last night he showed a clip of some guy on some Fox show trying to link the Imam who is in charge of the mosque to hamas, and some other terror organizations. He had the names and "possible terrorist connections" written down on a card in marker and highlighted, and he was gravely serious about how dangerous he thought this Imam is.

So then Jon Stewart was like, "Well you can do that with practically anybody! All you need is some cards and a highlighter?" Then he proceeded to demonstrate by linking Fox News the same way and wondering whether they might be a terrorist organization.

I can't remember the connections he made, but it was a brilliant comment on how people smear others with virtually no evidence whatsoever.

You have to see it. I'm not doing it justice here. It was so sweet!

By the way, does anyone remember Bush and the Republicans using this guy as the face of moderate islam when they were trying to win over Iraqi people? The Republican Party has gone off the deep end.
rabel22

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:31 am
@kickycan,
They have been off the deep end since ray gun.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Jon Stewart, again, has the most rational take on the Mosque controversy. Worth watching in its entirety.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-16-2010/mosque-erade

Quote:
Sure, Catholics have the right to build a church next to a playground, but should they?

Awesome!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
@maxdancona,
it's not really that it's blocked, it's just proprietary, when i view the link it tells me that comedy central is not available in canada, i have to go to the comedy network

this happens with a lot of entertainment sites around the world
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:06 pm
There is another part of this whole argument that nobody is mentioning.

There actually was a church destroyed in the 9/11 attacks, and it is not being rebuilt.
It was a Greek Orthodox Church, right next to the WTC, and the govt has said they wont help rebuild it.
The govt and the church are in a disagreement about money, and each side is blaming the other.

Now while I have no objections to a mosque being built near ground zero, I do think that the only church actually destroyed by the attacks should be rebuilt first.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/18/leaders-disappointed-government-declares-deal-rebuild-ground-zero-church-dead/
roger

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
@mysteryman,
I oppose either one being built with government 'help'.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 03:15 pm
@mysteryman,
Insurers have already paid out (or placed in escrow pending final claims settlement) $70 billion for 9/11. Does anybody know if it's too late to accept Prince Alwaleed's $10 million? Should be enough to re-build one church - and Giuliani had no business turning money down:
Quote:
Prince Alwaleed gave the mayor a check after a Thursday morning memorial service at Ground Zero, the site of the World Trade Center towers destroyed in the attacks....The prince offered his condolences to the people of New York, but after the ceremony he released a statement suggesting the United States "must address some of the issues that led to such a criminal attack."...."The check has not been deposited. The Twin Towers Fund has not accepted it," Giuliani said in a statement late Thursday.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/10/11/rec.giuliani.prince/
0 Replies

Solmeci

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 03:21 am
Sure build the Mosque. Then Muslims from around the world can travel there to the site of their victory......

On a side note, murder caps HAHAHAHAHA
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:54 am
According to a piece on NPR today, there is a Muslim backlash already against the protestors and that Anwar al-Awlaki is capitalizing on it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129387963
0 Replies