UPC 6-48065-11432-6

Trafficanda

-dozen cartons size M to Jumbo
136 through 225

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:46 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Voluntary Egg Recall Expanded: Less Than One Percent of All U.S. Eggs Affected

GALT, IOWA (August 18, 2010) – Wright County Egg of Galt, Iowa, is expanding its voluntary recall (original recall date: August 13, 2010) of specific Julian dates of shell eggs produced by their farms because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.

Eggs affected by the expanded recall were distributed to food wholesalers, distribution centers, foodservice companies and limited retail outlets in California, Arizona, Missouri, Minnesota, Texas, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Nevada, Iowa, Illinois, Utah, Nebraska, Arkansas, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. These companies distribute nationwide.

Eggs affected by the expanded recall announcement are packaged under the following brand names: Albertsons, Farm Fresh, James Farms, Glenview, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma, Lund, Kemps and Pacific Coast. Eggs are packed in varying sizes of cartons (6-egg cartons, dozen egg cartons, 18-egg cartons, and loose eggs for institutional use and repackaging) with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 229 and plant numbers 1026, 1942 and 1946. Dates and codes can be found stamped on the end of the egg carton or printed on the case label. The plant number begins with the letter P and then the number. In most cases the Julian date follows the plant number, for example: P-1720 223. There have been confirmed Salmonella enteritidisillnesses relating to the shell eggs and traceback investigations are ongoing. Wright County Egg is fully cooperating with FDA’s investigation by undertaking this voluntary recall.

All brands, plant numbers and Julian dates are listed in the Brands Affected document found here.

While this recall represents less than 1 percent of all eggs produced in the US, as always recommended by the Egg Safety Center and FDA, raw eggs should be handled and cooked properly with the egg yolks and whites cooked firm. Other egg brands that are not specifically in the recall list are not affected and should be safe to eat. Liquid, frozen, or dried egg products, because they are pasteurized, also are not affected by the recall and should be safe.

Consumers are reminded that properly storing, handling and cooking eggs should help prevent food-borne illness. For more information on proper handling and preparation of eggs and answers to other frequently asked questions, visit www.eggsafety.org.

Eggs previously announced as affectedinclude the following brand names: Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma’s, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms and Kemps. Eggs are packed in varying sizes of cartons (6-egg cartons, dozen egg cartons, 18-egg cartons, and loose eggs for institutional use and repackaging) with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 225 and plant numbers 1026, 1413 and 1946. Additional brands specific to Northern and Central California and Reno, Nevada, include Bayview, Mountain Dairy, Nulaid, and Sun Valley. Affected plant numbers are 1091 (Julian date 167-174), 1686 (Julian date 142-149), and 1951 (Julian date 193-210).

The chance of an egg containing Salmonella Enteritidis is rare in the United States. Several years ago, it was estimated that 1 in 20,000 eggs might have been contaminated, which meant most consumers probably wouldn’t come in contact with such an egg but 1 time in 84 years. Since that time most U.S. egg farmers have been employing tougher food safety measures to help protect against food-borne illness. Chief among these methods are modern, sanitary housing systems; stringent rodent control and bio-security controls; inoculation against Salmonella Enteritidis; cleaning and sanitization of poultry houses and farms; and testing.

About the Egg Safety Center

The Egg Safety Center provides scientifically accurate information on food safety issues related to eggs. We work with egg producers to provide them with the most up to date information available and are dedicated to educating consumers on proper food handling to reduce the incidence of food-borne illness. For more information on egg safety visit www.eggsafety.org.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
400 million eggs recalled according to NPR a few minutes ago. That is a hell of a lot of eggs!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
I checked our eggs and they are OK.

I wonder if there is any risk for products that contain eggs?

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Butrflynet asked me a good question this morning: "If the eggs are contaminated, why aren't they checking on the chickens that produced them?
DUH!

BBB

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:59 am
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
My understanding is that the chickens are the source for this contamination.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
Which begs the question: Why isn't there also a massive recall of chicken meat? Surely, those same egg ranches also produce a percentage of the chicken meat in the market.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
From what I've read, it is the chickens, who, if they have salmonella, produce eggs with or without salmonella contamination. (Not every time a bug.)

I doubt the chickens get used for food themselves.

Oh, wait, no, maybe they are part of our wieners. But... then they would be cooked as part of the hot dog production machinery..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:33 pm
I'm not sure what I think about all this. Salmonella is potentially there in raw eggs in general, and has been since we've known about the bacteria, and of course, before that. The reaction seems a tad hysteric at the same time I'd probably do the same thing, re recall from a massive production place with poor history.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:34 am
@ossobuco,
CBS : "sixty minutes " last night
spokesperson for U.S. dept. of agriculture :

" NEVER eat ' soft boiled ' or ' sunny side up ' or ' easy over ' eggs ! "

NEVER ! EVER !

1/2 a billion eggs recalled - YIKES !

hbg

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fsis_recalls/

is it safe to drink the water ? ... drink beer instead - it's been boiled !
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:29 am
@hamburgboy,
I just had some brownie dough batter that of course had raw egg in it. Ah well - I love dough - cookie, brownie, cake too much to stop.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
about once a month i'd order " two eggs - over easy " - at the jiffy grill .
will i now order " two eggs - hard-boiled " - that's just not very good replacement imo .
hbg
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:51 am
@hamburgboy,
Dont be afraid of your food Hbg. I love sunny side up and soft boiled.
Salmonella can only get transferred to the eggs by some fistula or prolapse that a laying hen is suffering. Such deformities are fairly easy to see. Eggs can have feces on them but these can be washed, also, maybe the eggs were cracked and still sold?

THIS doesnt make much sense. We have out own chickens and they eat what they want and they are free to be chickens .
Our eggs are beautiful, with thick deep orange yolks that stand high on a plate. (No puddly insipid pale yellow yolks allowed)

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
I agree with you in general on this, farmerman, but I just read this bit on the debate section of the NYTimes -
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/08/24/why-eggs-became-a-salmonella-hazard

clip -
"Many poultry experts suspect that rodents infected with salmonella got into the chicken feed because the infection seems to be inside the eggs."
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I still dont understand. The NYT article had nothing that was especially enlightening about the issue. Egg shells are usually an impwermeable membrane. ANY WAY, they coulda
vaccinated the chickens (We did this to all 12 of ours)

sample eggs can be tested by placing the broken egg white and yold separately into a test plate with an iron sulfate and ORP dye markers. The H2S generated by the Salmonella can be detected by the pinkish color.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have a clue how a chicken infected by eating feed that had salmonella via rodent droppings could then have it's not yet dropped egg - or future egg - get salmonella in the interior of the egg, but I took that as what they were getting at.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@farmerman,
" may i have two eggs - easy over - from farmerman's chickens , please ? " Laughing

Quote:
We have out own chickens and they eat what they want and they are free to be chickens .

haven't seen any chickens in the vicinity of the jiffy- grill lately Shocked
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
Pasteurized eggs are ok, though, right? I think I saw that on the news. I had some raw egg today while baking, like Linkat. Gosh, it's always something.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@Irishk,
chickens are the easiest things to keep. They are gentle, and they generally take care of themselves. All you need is some feed (Ordinary birdseed is great, NO MEDICATED CHICKEN FEED). You will also need some limestone grit and some clean water. They will fend for themselves and they will soon learn to feast on bugs . They are great for japanese beetles (Although guinea hens are the best, at lkeast they wont try to pick at your tomatoes).

GET SOME CHICKENS AND GET OFF THE FOOD GRID!!>
Irishk

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
Do you have to keep a rooster to get chickens to lay eggs, or is that a myth?