ACK! Death by sugar.

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:56 pm

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@boomerang,
15 minutes after consuming a large amount of sugar. That's an insane pathological side effect I could have never imagined.
boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Isn't that completely freaky.

It makes me wonder how we might treat ourselves if we could see results immediately.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:50 pm
@boomerang,
I have been more closely watching my sugar intake recently. Rarely drink sugar. Less then once every other week.

My biggest sugar intake is what I put in my tea I drink during my work day. 4 to 5 packets per mug. Still probably too much.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:01 pm
Makes me wonder what a couple of glasses of wine could do ...

But some small quantity of sugar (like a banana snack ) isn't a totally bad thing, right?
We're not expected to cut it out altogether to be healthy? (unless, perhaps) we're double the size we should be!)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:07 pm
Playing devils advocate here...with the caveat that sugar is not a healthy choice, and try to avoid it myself....

This was blood tested after 15 minutes.

What would the blood look like after 30 minutes? 45? an hour?

What would his blood look like an hour after eating a big serving of salmon? Then, an hour after that?

Was this man fasting when he came to that doctors office?

Is this just what fasting blood looks like?
Would it look drastically different, in some way, after eating any type of food?

See my point?

sumac

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:08 pm
Hi everyone. I too have sugar in my morning cups of coffee and I am not about to give it up. I rarely have any other form of sugar other than that naturally occurring in food. Hope it is not too much.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@chai2,
you know chai2, you keep on asking questions you'll get a reputation for being as cranky as me.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

See my point?

OWW!! DAMN IT! Mad You poked me in the eye with that thing. I could see your point a mile away so you didn't have to shove it into our faces. I might end up blind in this eye because of seeing your point! Razz
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:15 pm
@dyslexia,
she'll need a hat...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Boil up a cup of Assam Superb tea for Chai2 and see how she reacts!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
...you keep on asking questions you'll get a reputation for being as cranky as me.

You?
Cranky, dys?
Never! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:56 pm
I'm all for keeping sugars at low levels, but..... It sounded a little staged to me. Where are the creds? Who were these guys?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
I don't know if it was real or not or what circumstances it was filmed under.

My niece, who is a clinical nutrionist for a group of private practice oncologists, sent me the link with little comment.

She did note that in the second part of the testing that the doctor has a can of soda on his desk!

The clip led to an interesting dinner conversation between me and Mr. B about eating fruit.

Last year my mom went on a big watermelon kick. She ate gobs and gobs of watermelon. She lost a lot of weight. She felt great. Her doctor marveled at how well she was doing.

My 90 pound sister threw a fit about the watermelon by telling my mom how much sugar was in watermelon. My mom quit eating watermelon.

She gained weight and felt lousy.

Now I have no proof that the watermelon made the difference in her health but it seems like it might have.

Think of a vegetarian diet -- fruit, vegetables, and grains -- all high "sugar" foods. Is it healthy or not?

What about the Atkins type diets? Healthy or not?

What in the world is a person supposed to eat?
littlek

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:35 pm
From what I understand, there seems to be a difference in the quality of sugar in fresh fruit vs added, processed sugar. So, watermelon would be good, soda would be bad. The latest news I heard from reputable sources (I'll look for a link if you want) was that people should eat less than 200 (or was it <100) grams of ADDED sugar a day.

What to eat? Everything, but in moderation.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:38 pm
@chai2,
I didn't want the video bad enough to load it.

Yes, he must have been fasting, or there would be no point in that kind of test. We normally check with a glucometer two hours after eating, at which point it is on it's way back down. Trying to catch blood sugar at the very top of the spike would involve measured dose and a stopwatch. Not practical for most of us, and if you use the two hour standard, you will get consistant results.

A big serving of salmon by itself isn't going to be significant to blood sugar. Carbohydrates are the main source of blood sugar. Granted, fats and protein will partially metabolize to sugar, but it's hard to imagine it becoming a problem.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
gheeezz, I just had a piece of fruit pie with vanilla ice cream *oops*
boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@littlek,
That's pretty much my philosophy of eating littlek.

I don't buy much prepared food (and I grow some of my own food) so I don't have to worry about added sugar. I also read lables.

While we were on vacation we relaxed our food rules and Mo got MEAN.

It took several days back home before he chilled out.

You're probably okay with the wine, msolga (thank god!), you can skip a soda and drink 25 glasses of white (12 or so glasses of red) wine and come out even, it seems.

Quote:
Stats One 6-ounce glass of white wine has 1.4 carb grams and 120 calories; 6 ounces of red has 3 carb grams and 128 calories; 6 ounces of rose has 2.5 carb grams and 128 calories. A 6-ounce glass of sweet dessert wine, such as Riesling, with 21 carb grams, has 270 calories.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
And I bet your metabolism handled it perfectly.
boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:46 pm
@roger,
They weren't checking his glucose levels they were just looking at his blood.

The sugar appeared to make them sticky and carry less oxygen.
0 Replies