bicycles threaten our personal freedoms

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:22 pm
Denver Mayor John Hickenlooperm has this idea, using grants and donations the city would purchase 4oo red bicyles and place them at stations around town, citizens could rent them and then return them to any red bicycle statnd hopefully reduction auto traffic, pollution and fuel consumption but the tea party candidate Dan Maes has warned Denver voters that "This is all very well-disguised, but it will be exposed," Maes told about 50 supporters who showed up at a campaign rally last week in Centennial.

Maes said in a later interview that he once thought the mayor's efforts to promote cycling and other environmental initiatives were harmless and well-meaning. Now he realizes "that's exactly the attitude they want you to have."
"This is bigger than it looks like on the surface, and it could threaten our personal freedoms," Maes said.He added: "These
aren't just warm, fuzzy ideas from the mayor. These are very specific strategies that are dictated to us by this United Nations program that mayors have signed on to."

http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:58 pm
Nice. Over here we have a retiree fighting tooth and nail (and with 40,000 bucks) the establishments of bike lanes in Arlington, MA. He says they're dangerous. He moved into that town only 3 years ago....

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/arlington/articles/2010/08/08/changing_lanes_not_so_fast/?p1=News_links
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:38 pm
@littlek,
HE can be reached . Ill send Pauley Walnuts up there to talk to the jamoke

As fvar as yer bike problem dys, I cant help ya. Those bikes wont last a week, theyll be stripped of their wheels and derailures.
I can see a chop shop business just for bikes.

HA, so we have a bike ad on the page bottom
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:43 pm
I would rather that the citzenry come to their own conclusion to purchase a bike and ride it to work or wherever because that's an environmentally safe and economically better decision.

Bet the local bike shops and car dealers are just thrilled with this program.

I don't like government involved in anything much.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@dyslexia,
Not every community can be pro-all-natural, but Portland, OR, is. This prevailing attitude of pro-nature and anti-technology here very much favors low emissions. During rush hour you can find your car surrounded by bicycles. because bicycles and cars share the road.

I like to bike, but I don't like to bike with cars, and so I don't bike that much.

When I moved to Portland two years ago I could tell the community was serious about green space. The TRIMET transportation network makes it possible to commute long distances via, rail, bus and trolley car.

I've been pondering a bicycle highway system. If there was funding I think it might be considered. Basically the design uses current lamp and sign post construction techniques to create a raise system of tubes that runs above and parallel to roadways. The tubes would be paved with slip resistant material, and covered in mesh to allow light, dissipate heat and repel rain and snow. They would have subway station-esque pull-offs and fast and slow lanes.

As far as the idea of having city bikes that anyone can use. That has been done several times.

As far as joining the UN I'm thinking that many in Portland wouldn't have any problem with that. Some may actually be looking forward to it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@Pronounce,
I didn't like bicycling in my area of Los Angeles - I felt like, and might have been right - that some cars liked to come too close. On the other hand, there was the sorely-mourned-after-it-passed (at least by people I knew) - The Dobbins Veloway:

http://www.arroyoseco.org/bike/bikeway.htm

http://www.arroyoseco.org/bike/images/cycleway-toll-booth.jpg

It went from Pasadena to downtown Los Angeles..
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
@Pronounce,
Quote:
The tubes would be paved with slip resistant material, and covered in mesh to allow light, dissipate heat and repel rain and snow. They would have subway station-esque pull-offs and fast and slow lanes.

Could you not see your way to including fans which ensure a wind in the direction of the industral estates in the mornings and in the direction of the barracks in the late afternoons. And getting them to tilt with the same peiodicity. 5% is about right.

It's obvious you don't bike so much.
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I can see how the The Arroyo Seco Bike Path http://www.arroyoseco.org/ArroyoSecoBikepath.htm would be a good idea, but what of flash floods?
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:24 pm
@spendius,
lol, you're humorous.

But instead of just nixing the idea how about you tell me how to improve it. Are you a biker, and what would you do if you are?
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:25 pm
@spendius,
But more importantly do you want your community to be run by the UN, or not?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
@Pronounce,
I didn't read about the/any newly proposed bike path, as I was remembering the Veloway. (Back in landarch school, we often threw bikepaths into our concept plans..)

Will look at that again. Flash floods? thinking drainage system with possible pumps ($$$) - whadda I know.
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
One consideration for any design has to be the elimination of bum speed bumps.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkzy9qfRvnQxSwsuQlHwrYKTJRFjOcxDBP6JbN5FyQJ04GYSg&t=1&usg=__g7KeYyJxYhFzMXFAZNhjv5iME1I=]
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:48 pm
@Pronounce,
and car doors
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:59 pm
@Pronounce,
Is there something in one or another of the posted links that has to do with the UN?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:45 pm
I just read about this. I was going to start a thread. I've just purchased a bicycle, and I've been getting to know all the city trails around my area. This is a big issue in Washington, a city plagued with terrible auto-traffic. I can ride a bike to my girlfriend's (10.7 miles) fast than taking the METRO, but I benefit from the hard work of pedestrians and cyclists before me who had to fight many hard battles with city officials to get more bike friendly paths made.

Some of our bike paths even have free air despensors. How cool is that?

A
R
This is obviously a commie plot (the Chinese all ride bikes right?)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:12 am
@Pronounce,
I wasn't nixing the idea. They have fans to extract farts from restaurants and cinemas and other places where people congregate in herds. They use the sort of thing I had in mind for your enclosed tube down mines. I've been down deep mines and there is half a gale blowin' which, simply by altering the angles of the fan blades can be reversed. I know one mine, now closed, which was 3,000 ft deep with over 10 miles of roadway to the coal faces.

In hilly areas ski lifts could be provided for the uphill sections and the downhill parts could be engineered to provide cyclists with the exhilarations one can see on the Tour de France. That would surely encourage cycling.

I'm all for encouraging cycling. And the UN.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:01 am
@dyslexia,
We shoud charge rent
to the UN.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:03 am

I like the Horse Carriages in Denver; very nice.

(I hope I 'm not getting my cities confused.)

David
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:54 am
First they'll take your cars. Then they'll take your fast food. And if you're not careful, they'll take away the fatty deposits in your arteries. It's a pinko plot to keep us all alive. The ruthless fuckers.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:19 am
@Gargamel,
Yeah, no wonder that Americans don't want a bike lane - it leads only to temptations. McDonalds always has ample parking spaces, what more do you need?

Actually, just about every major European city has these free bicycle stations
and it's such a convenience. This is in addition to car free zones in inner cities,
unthinkable in the United States - but hopefully not for long.

Personal freedom is only a term used to appease the gun nuts.