How do I stop smoking when partner won't quit?

mark noble

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:08 pm
@mister kitten,
Ho <ole!

No. They itch too much and gather bad smells and food debris.
But, I'm on holiday from work this week, and I haven't shaved since Saturday, If that helps?

You're a damn good soul yourself, my friend!
See you soon, and be magnificent!!!

Mark...
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:43 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

Thanks eoe, that's what I do, mind over matter, I say no when he offers me his cigarette but a lot of the times I cave and go to bed disappointed, (and scared of lung cancer), and try to soothe myself by believing I'll do better tomorrow and I've just been going around this circle for weeks, it's so easy to give in, yes I must try harder. Thanks.

How about asking him to smoke outside EVERY time he lights up, as well as asking him NOT to offer you a cigarette?

I couldn't imagine that he wouldn't do that for you.

My house is a no smoking zone, no one is allowed to light up.

chai2

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:55 pm
oh, and try eating some goat yogurt when you get a cigarette craving.
0 Replies

High Seas

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:04 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'd still get it checked out, did the pain start before the thought of getting lung cancer or after

if at the same time or after it could be panic, panic attacks can seem like heart attacks, either way, go to the doctor

That makes sense - chest pains just aren't listed as symptoms for that disease. Caroline - you definitely have to go for a medical checkup or you'll worry yourself to death long before you would otherwise contract lung cancer or any other kind of terminal illness:
Quote:
There usually are no signs or early symptoms of lung cancer. As lung cancer stages advance, lung cancer symptoms may include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and bloody mucus.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/default.htm
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:30 pm
If you were to get pains in your lungs, you would feel them in your back, not your chest.
Most of your lungs are close to your back.

Caroline

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:04 am
@chai2,
Ok thanks maybe I have an infection, urges me to get it checked out.
Caroline

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
@chai2,
Yeah he does that for me it's just my willpower that's lacking. Thanks for all your support folks, it helps a lot.
Butrflynet

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:32 pm
@Caroline,
Go out and buy a pack of cigarettes in a brand and flavor that you think is vile in taste. Give it to him and ask that he give you one of those anytime he has a need to offer you a cigarette or you break down and ask him for one.

That's what I did to help me lessen the addiction before I finally quit cold turkey many years ago. I switched to a brand with a harsh menthol taste that made me want to gag anytime I tried to smoke it. It also helped with the mental addiction as I started wanting to do anything to avoid having to smoke that crap and found other things to use as a substitute; things such as cinnamon sticks, gum, crushed ice, and frozen grapes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
@eoe,
I agree with eoe; it's personal willpower that is important to quit smoking. Blaming others for your habit is not rational.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:53 am
Caroline--I read once that if you stop smoking for 4 years your lungs return to their pristine state assuming you don't breathe in other stuff much. They are exterior surfaces essentially. I stopped at about your age with the firm intention to start again after the four years. That attitude made it easy. The thought of never having another cigarette ever appalled me. My intelligence declined of course but I have plenty in reserve and four years as a gump wasn't so bad. And after the purdah is over you'll be clear of the addiction and the benefits of smoking so you have the easy choice of whether to restart. You can gauge the benefits from the tedious conversational style of non-smokers. There's a general falling off of the ability to generalise and take a sanguine view of the passing scene and a marked improvement in narcissism and the capacity to exhibit nervous jerky movements. There's also shorter fuses.

Most chest pains are muscular.

0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:22 am
@Caroline,
Yes, do!

Have you yet?

This is one of those things that might be utterly trivial if caught early, while becoming something actually serious if allowed to languish.
0 Replies

mark noble

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:31 am
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline!

Have you considered the benefits of smoking?
It is refreshing, keeps you alert, increases your heart rate - which in turn circulates your blood and antibodies much more efficiently, making the healing process quicker.

It furnishes your lungs with a protective layer of tar that prevents a multitude of viral and bacteriological agents from penetrating into the blood system.

In effect it prolongues life. Theoretically - The more you smoke, the longer you will live.

I suggest moving on to cigars...They last longer and provide a thicker coating of tar.

Kind regards!
Mark...
spendius

Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
@mark noble,
mark is right Caroline. Turkish cigarettes provide the thickest tar coat and our government banned them a few years ago. Possibly the tar coat was so thick that nothing got through and then the NHS would have no customers.

It makes sense logically. The Medical profession is a bureaucracy. A bureaucracy is a thing and thus has no compunctions except to grow. It doesn't think. Growing is the only consideration. So banning us from coating our lungs with a protective layer of tar, like pub walls used to be, and thus, as mark says, preventing a multitude of viral and bacteriological agents from penetrating into our blood system is no good for the bureaucracy which prefers these viral and bacteriological agents to get through to us to us never going near their premises, except for accidental damage, apart from at the end when they can make next to nothing out of us and when our economic uselessness becomes more obvious and our political demands more strident.

Caroline

Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:04 pm
Thank you Helen and thank you to all of you for your help and suppot. I'm still smoking, (but less), I will use this thread for support and help, keep coming back to your posts regularly thank you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 03:23 am
@spendius,
Is growing a "compunction" ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 04:47 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Yes I might try that, I'll try anything,
it didn't work on my parents but that's no reason it wont work on me, thanks for the idea.
Maybe u need MORE nicotine patches!

Lots of them!

Ask your physician.

David
0 Replies