'I think it's good'

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 06:32 pm
Is this a 'valid' statement or a contradiction in terms?

And I am talking about 'good' both in aesthetic and moral terms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,333 • Replies: 28
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 06:38 pm
"it's all good"
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
God, look at how Fresco has informed the way I script my posts of philosophy boards. Laughing
fresco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 12:05 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Smile
In the praxis of living, the "I" and the "good thing" are co-occurrent and co-defined. There is a separate "observer I" which reports this co-occurence as "thinking".
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:14 am
What else do we have besides what we judgmentally think?

Until we get more knowledge, what we think is how things are.

0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:08 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Since statements are neither valid nor invalid, but only true or false (only arguments are valid or invalid) I don't know what you are asking. But if you are asking whether the statement "I think (believe) it is good" is self-contradictory, I don't know why you would think it might be. No statement that expresses that the speaker believes something is self-contradictory.
fresco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:24 am
@kennethamy,
One reason PQ may be asking the question is from the point of view of different levels of consciousness. Her forum history suggests that she is aware of the literature on that subject which implies that a higher level Self is by definition "non-judgemental".
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:30 am
There are several socio-cultural cues that using think (opinion) and not (is) fact can portray.

Unless one is simply stating something that they do not know for sure, 'I think' is really saying 'It is' in a way that is more appropriate for a contectual situation.

For example in a forum when one may think that they know less or are less respected than other members it is often a propositional hedge saying, "This is what it is but I would like to give myself an out". Or it might say, "This is what it is but I feel that to maintain my place I must hedge my position because people if people disagree I might look bad".

In a situation where the writer/speaker knows more but feels that their pedantry might cause waves, 'I think' instead of 'it is' is a way of politely allowing others their own opinions.

I find that using conversation analysis on a thread exposes the latter two positions of 'I think' and its more obvious cousin IMO, that genuine uncertainty.

I realize that this post does not address the question in the OP but I find these things interesting, so I tend to hijack.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 12:27 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

One reason PQ may be asking the question is from the point of view of different levels of consciousness. Her forum history suggests that she is aware of the literature on that subject which implies that a higher level Self is by definition "non-judgemental".

Wouldn't it be rare for humanity or even a single human to get to a higher level of self which is non judgemental when all we are individually and as a species rests upon judgement... Either morals result from emotions we are in no position to judge because they are us, or like everything else we know is the result of judgement, which is knowledge... If there is a choice not to judge it is still a judgement...

If we have all reached a point in our existence where morality so conflicts with reason that we cannot decide, then we are, in fact, demoralized because morals are a quality of a person that precedes thought... We learn to be moral before we learn to judge morality, and it begins at birth with our bonding... It is impossible for an unbonded person to be moral no matter how much it is preached at him, or her... And for the bonded person morality is natural, without logic or reason...
Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 12:43 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

Can you rephrase your question? I don't know many who apply the property "valid" to statements. They usually apply that property to arguments. And how would "I think it's good" be a contradiction?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Wouldn't it be rare for humanity or even a single human to get to a higher level of self which is non judgemental

Difficult ? yes . Rare ? apparently not ! Read Krishnamurti and David Bohm.

Quote:
all we are individually and as a species rests upon judgement...

Others argue that what characterizes us as a species depends on language and its utilization in attempting to predict and control. Any "judgement" is dependent on prior segmentation of "reality" by language. It is the awareness of this "urge to control" and the supporting function of language in evoking "selves as controllers" with respect to "things" which partially characterises a state of "higher consciousness".
HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:37 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

At one time one has to make an assumption, else one could wait forever to gain absolute certainty by double blind test and yaddayadda.

If everything had to be scientific thus absolute certain, life would come to a halt. We have to dare, we have to take chances, we must take the beating and learn ..get wiser from it.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:41 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

At one time one has to make an assumption, else one could wait forever to gain absolute certainty by double blind test and yaddayadda.

If everything had to be scientific thus absolute certain, life would come to a halt. We have to dare, we have to take chances, we must take the beating and learn ..get wiser from it.

How did this become a question about certainty? But I admit that I don't understand why someone would believe that the statement was contradictory, or "invaid" (not legitimate?) in any other way.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
@kennethamy,
The initial question is open for interpetation, it will cover too much for me to answer in just 1 post, I choose that area which I feel like.

..simple.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:34 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

The initial question is open for interpetation, it will cover too much for me to answer in just 1 post, I choose that area which I feel like.

..simple.

Interpretation, yes. But where does the idea of certainty come from?
HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
? ..what?
Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:17 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

There is a lot in life that should come to a halt... When we think that to be we must do we are making a fundamental error of predicate... We can do because we are, and to remain alive, and keep humanity alive we must do well and good... Doing without knowing is pure stupidity, and that is the story of modern, mostly western, Civilization.. We are thoughtless, clueless, acting blindly out of faith... Time out should be given to consider consequences...

Let me see if I can put this another way... Our entire economy which is the justification for our wars and destruction of our environment grows out of faith, and to be exact, protestant Christianity... There is no reason or rational behind it, for as I have said, and others have noted: Humanity is not rational... We are rational only in the pursuit of our irrational goals... And this is our culture, and culture is knowledge; but what does one do when ones culture, which should be knowledge is instead a collection of prejudices and beliefs??? We do not learn only because those inflicting the suffering are not those suffering, and even those suffering the actions of humanity would as soon trade places with their torturers and goad the helpless...

In the end it is future generations who will know poison and deprivation because of our squandering today of precious resources, and they will learn war, and know death... Our culture is a non culture, an anti culture, an acid bath for cultures... The accumulated knowledge of humanity for its good health and continued survival is discredited to have one vast party for the individual.... To experience life to its fullest we must forfeit existence for humanity... Is there a problem with that???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:26 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
Wouldn't it be rare for humanity or even a single human to get to a higher level of self which is non judgemental

Difficult ? yes . Rare ? apparently not ! Read Krishnamurti and David Bohm.

Quote:
all we are individually and as a species rests upon judgement...

Others argue that what characterizes us as a species depends on language and its utilization in attempting to predict and control. Any "judgement" is dependent on prior segmentation of "reality" by language. It is the awareness of this "urge to control" and the supporting function of language in evoking "selves as controllers" with respect to "things" which partially characterises a state of "higher consciousness".

I agree that we are hedged in, not only by language, but by math, which in the proper sense is logic, logos, words that keep us from thinking our own thoughts and feeling our own genuine feelings so that life becomes mostly repetition, and creativity comes only by accident...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:37 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
? ..what?

I asked where you found certainty or uncertainty in the question? What has the question to do with certainty or uncertainty? Suppose I said that I interpreted it as asking whether fried eggs were nicer than boiled eggs. Would that be all right too?
HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
? ..what?

I asked where you found certainty or uncertainty in the question? What has the question to do with certainty or uncertainty? Suppose I said that I interpreted it as asking whether fried eggs were nicer than boiled eggs. Would that be all right too?
A robot or an unintelligent person't can't add something relevant to an equation, I added something I saw relevant to the equation.