Breakthrough Films

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:18 pm
Yes, I've visited that site as we've had past discussions about wide screen.

Incidentally, the 3-D final roller coast scene in "Man in the Dark" was the only memorable thing from that Edmund O'Brien film noir. Of course, "This Is Cinerama" also included a roller coaster to give the audience a virtual ride!

In sound, of course, it's "The Jazz Singer" but "The Robe" was the first film to incorporate multi-channeled stereophonic. Even the speaking parts were floating across the screen which if reproduced on television is rather disconcerting (as all modern films have one front channel for dialogue).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
fealola wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
And Bond, and Charlie Chan and Andy Hardy and on and on!

How were they breakthroughs?

Not breakthroughs, they, like the "road" picts were series or sequels way before Rocky.

I agree
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:36 pm
re Vietnam films try "Coming Home"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:41 pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077362/

1978- Tie!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:57 pm
I believe by just a few months that "Coming Home" beats them all.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:01 pm
However, to be fair even though it's a rather pathetic film, "The Green Berets" with John Wayne is 1968.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:04 pm
Now maybe the above mentioned Vietnam films were the first with a "counter-culture" slant, but hold on,"The Green Berets" was 1968.

Also, was Martin Sheen in "The Subject Was Roses" a Vietnam vet? -- don't remember (1968)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:04 pm
"Coming Home," "The Deer Hunter" and "Apocalypse Now" were really late in coming, consider it took ten years to react on that particular film which basically glorified our involvement in Vietnam! The novel, "The Quiet American" by Graham Greene was also made into an older black-and-white 1958 movie and was also negative about the foreign involvement in the region. The recent Michael Caine version made the American as unctuous as in the original novel.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:05 pm
(Not that The Green Berets was breakthrough)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:06 pm
A2K Mind Meld! Laughing Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:09 pm
Yea, and I even trumped "The Green Berets" because "The Quiet American" pre-empted them all in addressing American involvement.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:11 pm
As only you could, Light!
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:24 pm
Cinderwolf wrote:
Jurassic Park was defenietly a Breakthrough film with its use of computor Graphic special effects. I also think Toy Story in being the first full length computor generated film is an important milestone.

Jurassic Park was also the first to use DTS sound (won Oscar for Best Sound).
Clockwork Orange was the first to use Dolby Noise Reduction.
A Star Is Born was the first to use Dolby Stereo.
Apocolyse Now was the first to use Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound (won Oscar for Best Sound).
Return of the Jedi was the first to be shown in THX certified theaters.
Batman Returns was the first to use the Dolby Digital that we still use today.
Last Action Hero was the first to use Sony's SDDS.
Star Wars Episode One, the first to be shot and shown in digital format and use Dolby Digital EX.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump were also breakthroughs for special effects.
0 Replies