what are you?

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
I just got a local political poll call, fine, I don't mind polls re local issues. at the end of the poll (mostly concern such issues as transportation, education, health care etc came this question;
do you consider yourself white/hispanic/african-american/native-american/asian. I answered saying "none of the above-I'm an american" he said "so your answer is "other" NO I said my answer is not "other" my answer is AMERICAN and I expected you to write on your poll form "AMERICAN" he hung up. I'm guess most americans here on a2k would and answered differently than I did but that's just my opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 4,448 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:43 pm
@dyslexia,
I answer mostly white.

from there the shades are up to them.

(went through this with the census lady just the other day...)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:48 pm
Census, I give them what they want. Polls, I can be arbitrary. I haven't answered a phone poll in many years.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Census, I give them what they want. Polls, I can be arbitrary. I haven't answered a phone poll in many years.
yeah, that's why I quite calling you.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:13 pm
Well, I don't want to give the same answer roger would give, so I'm stalling.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:56 pm
@dyslexia,
When I ran a psychiatric program, my staff had to write case notes. They were supposed to end the note with their signature and title and college degree, ie: R.N., B.A.

There was one young guy who was really a trip. He was one of best and most conscientious people with whom I have ever had the pleasure to work. He had one quirk, though. He insisted on signing his case notes, "John Doe, Case Manager, M.H.R."

When I first saw it I asked him about the M.H.R. He quickly replied, "Member of the Human Race". I wished that I had more people like him, even though I made him change his title (we could have been audited by the state, and that would never do! ) Shocked
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:11 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I just got a local political poll call, fine, I don't mind polls re local issues. at the end of the poll (mostly concern such issues as transportation, education, health care etc came this question;
do you consider yourself white/hispanic/african-american/native-american/asian. I answered saying "none of the above-I'm an american" he said "so your answer is "other" NO I said my answer is not "other" my answer is AMERICAN and I expected you to write on your poll form "AMERICAN" he hung up. I'm guess most americans here on a2k would and answered differently than I did but that's just my opinion.
I 'd say white native American, in that I was born in New York City.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:15 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
When I ran a psychiatric program, my staff had to write case notes. They were supposed to end the note with their signature and title and college degree, ie: R.N., B.A.

There was one young guy who was really a trip. He was one of best and most conscientious people with whom I have ever had the pleasure to work. He had one quirk, though. He insisted on signing his case notes, "John Doe, Case Manager, M.H.R."

When I first saw it I asked him about the M.H.R. He quickly replied, "Member of the Human Race". I wished that I had more people like him, even though I made him change his title (we could have been audited by the state, and that would never do! ) Shocked
R humans a race,
or a species ?

David
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
When they ask me "What are you?" I always say: "Hungry!"
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm
@dyslexia,
I would answer 'White' for race and 'American' for nationality.
It'd be nice to be able to pretend that all 'Americans' enjoy the same reality as a member of the 'human' race - but I know for a fact they don't.
I've observed and understand that being a 'white' person in America exposes people to a different experience than being a 'black' or 'asian' or 'latino' person in America does.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:38 pm
Hispanic is the interesting item in the offered list.

You can be White Hispanic, Native American Hispanic, or African American Hispanic.
roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:42 pm
@ebrown p,
Depending on your source, my town is roughly 1/3 anglo, 1/3 American Indian, and 1/3 Hispanic. A different source will show 1/3 American Indian and 2/3 white.

roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not sure what roger would have answered, but it sure sounds sinister.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:56 pm
How come they never put "European origin" down?
roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
They should. Locally, ya'll are known as Anglo.

Sorry 'bout that.
aidan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@roger,
They don't provide 'American' as a choice over here.
These are the choices they give on forms here:

Quote:
White British · White Irish · Other White
Mixed White and Black Caribbean · White and Black African ·
White and Asian · Other Mixed Asian or Asian British Indian · Pakistani · Bangladeshi · Other Asian
Black or Black British Caribbean · African · Other Black
Chinese or Other Ethnic Group Chinese · Other

I always just check 'other white' and write in 'American' on the line provided.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-4297714
roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:34 pm
@aidan,
When they get tired of grading all the paperwork, they'll probably end up with something like British, or Other.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:31 am
I actually usually give people a close to what they are asking answer. I do give them a sampling of my liberal commie leanings before they hang up. But, as I say, it has been long since any bothered me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:07 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Depending on your source, my town is roughly 1/3 anglo, 1/3 American Indian, and 1/3 Hispanic. A different source will show 1/3 American Indian and 2/3 white.

Reminds me of the native American Chief in that wonderful film with Dustin Hoffman (from the wonderful book I can't recall the name of either where Hoffman gets to live in both Indian and white frontier cultures, changing sides whenever it would keep him alive) who spoke of the white people and the black white people.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:57 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

How come they never put "European origin" down?

that would also be problematic. Not all Europeans are white, either.
0 Replies