GoshisDead

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@ossobuco,
Grew up in the sticks its how we put down our old dogs
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:40 pm
@Rockhead,
40 mikes of valium is a nice way to go for a cat. I hadda do it to one of my cats that got shot up and was really in agony. Broke our hearts but she died really quietly while my wife was busy claning the blood off her. It took almost an hour and she trusted us to the end, she even purred while we put her down.

Valium dissolved in water or milk and shot down her throat with a syringe or a "oiler boiler bottle" (remove the needle) .
Getting valium is easier than a pentathol Sodium and as Thomas said, unless you know how to spot an IV , youll cause more pain to the cat.

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
@farmerman,
Im glad someone said it.

I personally dont see what is wrong with someone putting their own animal down, but I realize that I stand on a different side of the street on this..
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:02 pm
@shewolfnm,
It gets tricky in some cities. Laws against burying or incinerating an animal without a permit etc...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:07 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Im glad someone said it.

I personally dont see what is wrong with someone putting their own animal down, but I realize that I stand on a different side of the street on this..

There's nothing wrong with it.
As far as giving your pet drugs, it could just get tricky.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 05:47 am
In days gone by, people just shot animals. In plain truth, a bullet to the head is sure fire and objectively I don't think it would be painful. If Ihad to go out, I'd rather go that way than any I can think of.
0 Replies

kat361

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:02 am
@msolga,
I am totally with you, kickycan. Cats especially do not like the vet office and it breaks my heart that his last hour had to be spent there. Vets use a barbituate overdose which I believe is like they use for the death penalty. Pentobarbital I believe but don't quote me on that. The sad thing is that in Mexico you can buy this at the local pet store. In the U.S., it would be very hard to find a doctor or vet who would prescribe this to you for fear you may use it on yourself. Bless all our American babies who can't die in the comfort of their home :'(
susan55

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:29 am
@djjd62,
I have a cat who is 30 years old her kidneys have been failing for a year at least in the last 6wks she has moved to a new living area away from me in the basement she does this hiding thing when she is sick. I have known the time was coming for a long time now and think it is here. Problem I cannot get an appointment with the vet I have tried most of them in the phone book and none have an time slot to put down a cat how long can it take?
Part of me does not want to go to another town cause lets face it I have been with this cat a long time it is going to but tough after putting her down. I have never done this before so was reading what to expect. While reading the op comment I sure would love to have her go in her own home thanks for the great idea now I am going to call ALL the vets in the phone book including the ones in other towns and see if any will come to HER home. I have heard death can be very painful and bad for cats some horror stories from people who maybe were pushing me to let her go sooner is this true? I am afraid she will suffer hard before I can get an apt and I don't want that I also don't want to put her down too soon it is so hard to know when the time is right. Any thoughts on this?
space007

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:22 am
@kickycan,
No matter what way i could not do this.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:29 am
@susan55,
30 years old? WOW!!!!
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:32 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
My cats are young and well cared for, also strictly indoor cats. One is 8 , one is 2, one is 4 months. I am 63. Any advice for them on how to put me down when the time comes? They can't shoot me. No thumbs.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:00 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
They should be able to smother you if they work together and you are very drunk.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 05:17 pm
@dlowan,
I like it Mr. Green
0 Replies

iguana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:23 pm
@kickycan,
humane home remedy: place the pet in a box with a personal item like shirt, run vacuum cleaner hose from car exhaust, run car until pet is gone to the next life. humane, painless, carbon monoxide. legal. still painful for you...I've done it twice when no other options were available
xxkanemagexx

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:11 pm
@kickycan,
hi kikycan, 6 months ago I had adopted a kitchen from the humane society she was sick and cause my older heavier kitty to become too ill top save. I put her down at home with a mixture of my medications as well all as benadryl, melatonin, and some other sleep aids. she went very Paul. I just made sure I have her the same amount I would have taken to do the same to myself. only I dissolved the medications mixed with water and gave her a lethal dose of sleep and pain meds through and enema. took about 30 minutes. my kids were sleeping but knew she was going to die. so I was able to wake them after given and she went quietly purrinin my arms. then we were able to hold her and grieve together in the comfort of our home with her happy. I have another kitty that is 12 years and I will be doing the same for her tomorrow. cancer has taken over. I refuse to allow my animals to go through the stress of a vet as their life ends. I took my fist cat to the very top have Her put down years ago and swore at 17 that I would never put them note myself or family through this again. at home is the only way in my opinion. good luck and I hope this helps.
akage

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:46 pm
@kickycan,
Actually, taking your pet to the vet to be put down is not as humane as most people seem to think. First of all, you have to drive them there and they will sense that you are upset on the way there, which will agitate them. If you choose to be with the pet at the time of the injection, you will be even more upset and therefore even further upset them. Not to mention they have to have a foreleg shaved and get a needle shoved in it so they can die uncomfortably on a cold, stainless steel table in a strange room that reeks of chemicals and illness. You really have to weight the pros and cons because in some situations the suffering they will go through to die naturally will be much worse than all of that. As far as alternatives. the only one I know is a gunshot to the head. I wouldn't recommend that unless you really know what you're doing. We really SHOULD be allowed to administer the injection at home, we can do all their other shots that way and its not as though risk of infection or any of that is a concern. That way they would feel much safer and happier in familiar, comfortable surroundings when they have to pass. I really find little "humane" about the way veterinarians put animals down and it is also prohibitively expensive these days.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:07 pm
@akage,
I suppose it depends on your vet.

When we had to put Lulu down, they treated her like a little queen.

She didn't mind the car ride there, as she was fading anyway. Plus she was in my arms, which comforted her.
They took her in the back for a moment, and clipped her hair has gently as possible, inserting the IV.

When they came back into the room, they were carrying her in this fluffy bed. She was all swaddled in the middle of the bed, and while I felt very sad, I also so appreciated at that moment that they knew how important she was at that moment, and treated her to every comfort available. She looked like a little princess.

When they placed her on the table, in her bed, we had plenty of time to stroke and comfort her one last time. Then they injected the drug into the IV, and she very gently laid her head down and went off. I was very attuned to this cat, and sensed no drama/trauma or fear on her part.

I feel they treated her with the utmost respect.
Sumeklam

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 04:00 pm
@kickycan,
Helium is probably the best way to give your cat a painless transition. I plan to do so myself. My comment is based upon my study of anatomy and physiology. Just wait til your cat is asleep, and then slowly run the helium around his nose. He will peacefully pass away. I'd overlook the people in this forum that are judging you. Why pay the vet when you can finish the relationship with your beloved pet on your own terms at home? The difference with animals vs. humans is that we can understand our own demise, and take matters into our own hands if we so choose. Animals aren't aware of their own mortality, nor can they voice their prolonged discomfort. We need to help them when the time arrives, or let them suffer to the bitter end... which seems quite a selfish human act to me.
Sumeklam

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 04:03 pm
@Rockhead,
This might produce convulsions. Don't do it.
0 Replies

mlewis92104

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you. Me and my BFF are both old (she is 17) and homeless. We are both at the end of our roads and after years of undevotional love and affection, her time has come. There is no money (nor sympathy) in taking her to the shelter as they want $$$, because I want to be onsite when she passes. I have been at the library googling everywhere to find this information on how I can have her pass quietly and happily in my arms. I can afford valium and it is good to know it will also work on me so that we can both pass together. It sounds cruel and heartless, but if any of you have ever had ONE PERSON THAT TRULY LOVED YOU THROUGH THICK AND THIN . . . then you will understand. Again, thank you.