More Than One Way to Euthanize a Cat

aidan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:05 am
@kickycan,
Quote:
when it was time for grams poodle to go, (seizures and ugly do it now signs) we went to my vet's, and he took us into a room where the three of us put her down...

then he left us alone with her till we were ready to go. ($85)

find another vet...

Yeah - that's how it was with one of my dogs too. He even gave us a blanket to cover her up with during and after.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:07 am
@kickycan,
Pacco didn't know what was going on, was not stressed. (I like our vet, he's Sallydog's vet too). I, of course, knew what was going on.

Adds, Diane came with me - actually, she drove while I held him. I don't think it was all so much for the vet doc to come to the house but don't remember the number. I suppose NYC is different.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:09 am
There are many vets who will come to your home to put down your pet if you're worried about it being stressful for him.

If you're concerned about cost, you should check out your local SPCA. I volunteer for the SPCA in my area, and they will euthanize a cat or dog who is terminally ill at minimal cost. They are very humane about it, and let the owner be with the pet during the process.
kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:10 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

give him half a valium...

That would be enough to do it? Know where I might get some?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:11 am
@kickycan,
next time you are here, I'll just give you one.

and yes, I think that would do it...

(what's the worst thing that could happen?...yup, then you save the trip to the vet...)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:12 am
@Lambchop,
Thanks, Lambchop. The SPCA is a good suggestion I hadn't thought of.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:15 am
@kickycan,
vet house call + manhattan = 121,000 google hits

includes nymobilevet.com

lotsa options

one of the dangers of doing it at home is that it's hard to know how much to give your pet, and if you muck it up you've got an even sicker pet to deal with at home
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:04 pm
If you are a good shot with a 22 simple and painless.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:59 pm
@GoshisDead,
A friend of mind did that, I won't argue.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:32 am
how easy does kitty take pills?

No. A whole Valium wont do it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:41 am
@shewolfnm,
Do what?
Calm a cat for a doctor visit (I've never done this),
or, mmm, kill a cat.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:56 am
Rocky said something about 1/2 a valium should 'do it'.
I assumed he meant kill the cat.
A whole one will not either.
It will calm him to the vet though im sure
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
@shewolfnm,
I'd assumed half a valium would calm him enough to take him to the vet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:58 am
@kickycan,
Granted I was a kid, but I remember when my puppy got really really sick. He had a reaction to a shot the vet gave him. According to my parents the vet wouldn't do anything over the weekend - he didn't want to come in to take care of a sick puppy and put him down. My dad said he went to the pet shop to see if there was something he could give him - because the dog was basically dying and he didn't want him to suffer. You could tell just by looking at him the poor thing was suffering and wouldn't last.

The pet shop guy said to get a blanket and sufficate him. He thought that was the best way to do him with as little pain as possible. Fortunately my parents disagreed. Instead my dad came home with a box to prepare for the burial. The really sad thing was weak little pup plopped right down into the box almost knowing that was his last resting place.

He barely lasted the weekend and it was so tough to watch. My parents said they would bring him to the vet that day. The little pup died while I was in school before they could take him to the vet.

I say shell out the measely $100 - it is a tough thing to watch your pet suffer.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The pet shop guy said to get a blanket and sufficate him. He thought that was the best way to do him with as little pain as possible.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Holy ****, that's sadistic.
Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:21 am
@chai2,
Yep - kinda makes you wonder whether he was in the right line of business.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:31 am
@chai2,
I agree it's sadistic and I would wonder about the mental state of a person who could actually do it.

I've posted this story before on similar threads, but it apparently bears repeating- it's about shooting your pet. I live near a farmer who has often put down animals, mostly for food or humane reasons. He had a favorite hunting dog that was very old and sick and he decided to put the dog out of it's misery by shooting it. Apparently just as he positioned the gun behind the dogs head and pulled the trigger the dog turned to look back at his owner. This caused the bullet to blow off a chunk of the dogs head but not kill it. The dog yelled in horrible pain before the man got off a second killing shot. He told me this tragedy has haunted him ever since and he no longer kills the animals he loves, but brings them to the vet to have it done humanely.

I know Kicky would never do anything cruel to his critters, but this is a very public place and you never know who might take some of these ideas seriously. Suggestions like rat poison, drowning and suffocating are evil and painful. The problem I see is some idiot might stumble on this thread and think some of these ideas might be worth trying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:33 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Tai Chi wrote:

kicky, can you get a vet to come to your home for visits? I suppose it would cost more but it would be less stressful for both of you.

I don't know if that's possible. It seems like there would have to be some service like that somewhere. If not, then I think I might have a new business idea for somebody.

Some vets here will do it. You may need to shop around though.

I think of that with Miranda as she is the first animal I have who has hated the vet's.

And no, you shouldn't bloody well do it yourself.

You know very little about suicide in humans if you think stuff like sleeping pills is a smooth and or sure way for us, much less that you have no way of knowing what the effect might be on an animal, and the suffering you may cause.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:39 am
I totally agree GW & dlowan

It's tempting, when you see your pet going downhill fast, and you know taking him to the vet would be traumatic.
However, there is a risk we wouldn't cause the death of the animal, but just make it worse. Or, cause the death to be painful.

I like the idea, if there's one available, of having a mobile vet come to your house.

I agree with kicky that it's actually a good business idea, if you can look at it like you're doing a loving thing by alleviating suffering.

You could call the business Angel of Mercy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:45 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Some vets here will do it. You may need to shop around though.

http://www.nymobilevet.com/services.shtml

Quote:
Euthanasia Services
Making end-of-life decisions can be one of the hardest times for you and your loved one, but at-home euthanasia can be a great gift for your pet in their time of need.

Appointments are available from 8am to midnight. Please call or email for availability.
0 Replies