More Than One Way to Euthanize a Cat

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 10:57 am
I wonder how much money my vet's going to screw me out of if I ever have to have my little Rockmeowmadeus put to sleep when he's old and dying.

Can one do that type of procedure on one's own? How would one do it? What is the drug vets use, and is it possible to buy it and administer it oneself? Is there a more humane or easier way than that to do it?

Green Witch

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:03 am
@kickycan,
Pay the frikken $100 (that's the average). In answer to all your other questions:
NO!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:41 am
I think rat poison would work. Or a hefty dose of sleeping pills. Cost us $177 to put down Itchy last year.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@kickycan,
Big Mylar balloon and a party tank of helium?

I suppose those rivers you have make disposing of the remains a breeze.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:49 pm
@kickycan,
I think you must surely be kidding here, kicky.
If not, this is not exactly a good way for your cat to end its life, nor a great way for you to end your connection with it.
But I don't believe you'd do it for a minute, so why am I taking this so seriously?
Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:17 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
Can one do that type of procedure on one's own? How would one do it? What is the drug vets use, and is it possible to buy it and administer it oneself? Is there a more humane or easier way than that to do it?

The way vets usually euthanize pets is the most humane one: intravenously inject an overdose of some anaesthetic. You can't administer this procedure yourself because you can't buy such anaesthetics over the counter. And even if you could buy them, you wouldn't want to administer them because intravenous injections need skill. You haven't acquired that skill (I assume). As Green Witch says: If you care for your cat, invest those $100 and let an expert end his life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:18 pm
@kickycan,
Aw, poor kitty. Sorry you are having to think about this (I assume it means his health isn't so good?)

Yeah, I think you gotta have the vet do this one.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:36 pm
Is this a different cat, or your diabetic one?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
It's the same diabetic one. And he isn't sick. He's just starting to get old (fifteen) and I had an appointment yesterday with my vet that cost me well over four hundred dollars. So I'm annoyed about all the money stuff, and I was thinking about what might be in the future. When I started this thread I was joking, but I'm getting more serious about the idea now that I've pondered it.

And this:

Mame wrote:
a hefty dose of sleeping pills.

could possibly work, couldn't it?

So let's look at the two options.

Dragging my cat to the vet:

I have to get him there, which is in itself a major problem. Being outside of his comfort zone, in the carrier with the traffic and all the noise and all freaks him out so bad that he starts meowing in duress, shedding, and most of the time peeing on himself by the time we get there. Then once he's there, strangers administer the lethal dose, and I take a passive role as they put my cat to sleep on some sterile hospital table and charge me over a hundred dollars.

Doing it myself:

Administer drug. Hang out and pet and comfort cat with soothing music and voices and all his favorite cat toys around him while he lays in his favorite spot on the big purple chair and peacefully rolls on off to nevermore. No charge from vet.

I'm surprised more people aren't interested in exploring the home euthenasia option.
aidan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
@kickycan,
I wouldn't want to try it because I'd not know for sure how much of the drug to administer and you might end up just making the cat really, really sick and causing more suffering than s/he was enduring in the first place.
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
@kickycan,
kicky, can you get a vet to come to your home for visits? I suppose it would cost more but it would be less stressful for both of you.
kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:52 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

kicky, can you get a vet to come to your home for visits? I suppose it would cost more but it would be less stressful for both of you.

I don't know if that's possible. It seems like there would have to be some service like that somewhere. If not, then I think I might have a new business idea for somebody.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:54 am
@kickycan,
when it was time for grams poodle to go, (seizures and ugly do it now signs) we went to my vet's, and he took us into a room where the three of us put her down...

then he left us alone with her till we were ready to go. ($85)

find another vet...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:56 am
@kickycan,
It is possible, even here in the boonies.

Plus, on the shots, it's not just one shot but two, and the anaesthetic is not available, as Thomas explained.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:56 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I wouldn't want to try it because I'd not know for sure how much of the drug to administer and you might end up just making the cat really, really sick and causing more suffering than s/he was enduring in the first place.

That is true. There would be that chance. But I'd just have to make sure I knew what I was doing then. Which will lead to my next thread: How many OTC sleeping pills would I have to use to euthanize my cat peacefully and humanely?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:57 am
@Rockhead,
Same here with Pacco, RH.
kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

when it was time for grams poodle to go, (seizures and ugly do it now signs) we went to my vet's, and he took us into a room where the three of us put her down...

then he left us alone with her till we were ready to go. ($85)

find another vet...

Now that sounds more like a reasonable solution. Poor doggie.
djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:02 am
http://www.coffeesofhawaii.com/images/store/burlap_sack_zoom_1.jpg
http://www.joinaproperties.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/abricks.jpg
http://www.fishing4fun.co.uk/thumbnails/metolius_river_pine_lg.jpg
kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:03 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah, that sound fairly unstressful. But Rocky freaks when I take him out in the carrier. Maybe if he's sick and dying and I have to take that fateful trip he won't be so aware or worried about it in his condition.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:04 am
@kickycan,
give him half a valium...