Kartive

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 02:56 pm
@failures art,
You say labor statistics show that women work harder my question for you is, How can you statistically show how hard someone works? Working hard can't be quantified due to the fact it is a quality not a quantity. They may be working MORE hours then their male counterparts, but that is due to it being more economic to have a women work more hours because she will be paid less for the same work.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 03:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
that blind spot appears to apply to the entire membership of A2K as I am still the only one who has stated the obvious...that women have the advantage, that women are doing better than men, and that young men are in trouble.

Once upon a time, women stayed at home, were expected to pop out all these kids, then spend all of her life, in a house, on her own, cleaning, cooking, raising children, getting them to school, sitting and teaching them and helping them with their home-work, making the beds, doing the washing, ironing, shopping for food or growing it, therefore, picking it, feeding the chickens even, maybe....

And, the man. Bless, went off to work, away from all of this, came home, sat on the couch, had a beer, filled his belly, watched TV or maybe the squirrels wandering around whilst he burps on the porch.

But, then one day, the woman woke up and said WT? I have been working too all my life, like a slave, shirt I forgot one bit, be at his beck and call for sex, anyways, damn it, I'm going to teach my daughters and their daughters equality.

And, so the new World began and now man is complaining. As his world ends..

Men.

Just kidding on the last bit, equality is the way of life.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 03:53 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Just kidding on the last bit, equality is a way of life.

fixed.

Not everybody wants to live according to the precepts of equality. In fact most of the couples that I know well dont.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 03:58 pm
@Kartive,
Quote:
but that is due to it being more economic to have a women work more hours because she will be paid less for the same work.

I dont know this, and I have spent some time looking at the science. So far as I can see women are paid less because they are on the job market seen as less valuable, and because women dont seek promotion as much or as well as the men. The reasons women are seen as less valuable make sense to me (more trouble to work with because of their devotion to their emotions, want more time off, and tend to abandon their career more often then men) and women need to be forced to compete for the good jobs before they get the good jobs, so I dont feel a bit sorry for women.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Not everybody wants to live according to the precepts of equality. In fact most of the couples that I know well dont.

There would not be one woman on this Earth, that wouldn't appreciate a helping hand, having not to have to cook dinner even once a week, let's face it, we women do in-deed work for a living being it in Management, self-employed or a job we love.. We can't do everything nor do we want to.

I wouldn't expect my fiancé to do "half" of any work load our household has nor would he of me, but we give it a go at trying to do things to help the situations as we both work long hours. To me, that's, equality... Being on equal thinking ... I'm not talking about 50/50 that would drive most people nuts it would be like having a check list, "now dear, you forgot to clean the toilet".. "No, dear, we changed that a month ago because you kept leaving the toilet seat up so I decided to switch jobs with you".... love wife.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:10 pm
Quote:
A former Victoria's Secret employee told us that workers at her Chicago-area store were trained to treat male customers differently from female ones.

"The general feeling about men is that they would buy anything in order to get out of the store as quickly as possible," the worker, who wished to remain anonymous, told us. "That means they would spend more money."

While workers tell women about promotions like 5 for $25 panties, they are more likely to sell men full-priced merchandise, the worker said.

"Women are more value-oriented, and so we were encouraged to show them deals," she said. "Men would buy a couple of $50 bras without questioning us because they felt awkward."

The competitive landscape in stores meant that associates would often fight over male customers.

Victoria's Secret managers use headsets to communicate with workers and encourage them to make sales goals.

"We would always be reminded of how much we needed to sell, and so when a man walked in, it felt like a lucky break," she said

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/victorias-secret-workers-think-men-215508975.html

Quote:
"That means that we could manipulate them into spending more money."

Fixed

Well, at least men are not completely useless, we make good suckers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 12:50 am
“They Just Seem to Be in Such a State of Anxiety”

Hanna Rosin talks to Laura Kipnis about what the heck is going on with men

Quote:
Slate: Why did you decide to write a book about men now?

Laura Kipnis: They just seem to be in such a state of anxiety. I had written a book about scandal and so it was on my mind how a lot of men in power seem to be acting in such incoherent ways in public. It’s almost as if something was afflicting them and they had some need to be shamed in public, to be disgraced and act out these private psychodramas in public, and I was just fascinated by that. My disposition generally is to think there are linkages between the private sphere and large scale social structures, so I guess I am always looking for those links.

Did you figure out what the anxiety is all about?

I think I became more empathetic about whatever causes I was speculating about. There’s a kind of precariousness for men now about their position—you’ve written about this. There are changes in the role in the aftermath of feminism as a result of massive economic restructuring, and this is affecting them on an interpersonal level. They don’t know exactly what’s going on in the context of heterosexual male-female relationships, what’s expected of them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/11/hanna_rosin_and_laura_kipnis_chat_about_men_and_men_an_ongoing_investigation.html

Really good article. The problem here is that she will not quite connect the dots....she says that the feminists are stupid abusive bitches and she says that men are in trouble, but she hints that there is a causal relationship here bur she does not directly say it. Still, she has iron balls to dispute the feminists so strongly, and for speaking up for men.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 06:21 pm
Why this is the end of the dumb dad era

Quote:
Just a few years ago, when I was less embroiled in the throes of dad-dom, I had no idea about the pervasive characterization of the dumb dad. But it is everywhere. You can find dumb dads in young-reader books like “The Berenstain Bears,” sitcoms from “Leave It To Beaver” to “All in the Family” to “Married…with Children” to “Everybody Loves Raymond” and an enduring legacy of commercials since the 1950s. As Homer Simpson — perhaps the most enduring of his ilk — quips, “Marriage is like a coffin, and each kid is another nail.”

For generations, those bumbling oafs set a subconscious example for the rest of us, giving us implicit permission to leave household duties to our wives because – obviously – we just weren’t that good at them, anyway. But now the disconnected father who exits stage left for the better part of the week and washes his hands at the door of competence or emotional engagement is starting to fade into pop-culture history. Ed O’Neill’s character in “Modern Family” may be the best example: Jay Pritchett has come a long way from the goon-dad stereotype of Al Bundy. Or look at what happened to Huggies when the diaper company tried to traffic in dumb-dad stereotypes for a 2012 commercial — dads and moms alike protested the ad’s conceit, which was that dads were so oblivious to their children that they’d leave diapers on well past the point that other brands would fail. Clorox tried something similar the following year, then meekly withdrew its ad, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2015/05/07/why-this-is-the-end-of-the-dumb-dad-era/?hpid=z3

No, there is no indication that the "MEN SUCK!" messaging is ending, and by the way all during this time men have been doing increasingly amounts of domestic duty even though the "MEN SUCK!" message has been hammering home the idea that we are incompetent at it.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Most of the ones i know well do
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
WTF! women are paid less to do the SAME job... seeking promotion is not taken on account when judging the quality of someones job.
We are not devoted to our emotions but willingly and unwillingly devoted to our family, whej deciding which on of the parents would sacrifice their carrer to dedicate more time to the children;women are asummed to be the ones to do it. When one of the parents are needed to take the children to the doctor and take care of them when being ill, men tend to avoid asking being given free days... and about competing for better jobs, whats the point when you are being the one asked to stay commited to raising the kids.
Im going to say, enraged by the generosity and comprehension to women you show by saying «i dont feel a bit.sorry for women cause they deserve what they have» that men not being given custody of their children just because they are men had it coming then.... you think thats being competitive enough for you?
0 Replies