WOW! photo - Lightning Over Athens

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
Lightning Over Athens
Credit & Copyright: Chris Kotsiopoulos

Explanation: Have you ever watched a lightning storm in awe? Join the crowd. Oddly, nobody knows exactly how lightning is produced. What is known is that charges slowly separate in some clouds causing rapid electrical discharges (lightning), but how electrical charges get separated in clouds remains a topic of much research. Lightning usually takes a jagged course, rapidly heating a thin column of air to about three times the surface temperature of the Sun. The resulting shock wave starts supersonically and decays into the loud sound known as thunder. Lightning bolts are common in clouds during rainstorms, and on average 6,000 lightning bolts occur between clouds and the Earth every minute. Pictured above, an active lightning storm was recorded over Athens, Greece earlier this month.

Photo: http://www.greeksky.gr/files/photos/atmospheric/20100628Thunders.htm

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,615 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:08 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
This is a photo sequence of 42 stacked shots, caught in Olympic Stadium, Athens during a severe thunderstorm. It only took me aproximatelly 30 minutes to capture 51 thunders.

Nine shots were destroyed because of the brightness of the thunders. See also the waterdrops from the drain pipe. They seem 'still' as they instlantly illuminated from the lightnings.

The answer to the crucial question: No... The big thunder didn’t hit me on the head! It stroke a few hundred feet in front of me..

http://www.greeksky.gr/files/photos/atmospheric/20100628Thunders.jpg
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:11 am
@Region Philbis,
sweet
chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

sweet

good god.

I'll bet there was a huge pile of crap on the ground, between that guys legs, right after that picture was taken.
Mame

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:49 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, or pee. I'd like to see a picture of that.
chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:54 pm
@Mame,
Maybe we could get the triple crown, if he hurled too.

seriously though, awesome picture.
Mame

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@chai2,
Look how many poles were hit - I'd like to know about power outtages after that episode. And how long it took the Greeks to fix it (lolololol - never mind, I've BEEN there, seen how they operate, and it ain't like the Danes).

Why is your avatar a ? in a box? Who, who, who are you?
chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@Mame,
A wha in a wha?

you talkin' to me?

what is a ????

maybe you should start a thread asking people what it is.

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:45 pm
@chai2,
Your avatar was a ? in a box. Like when a picture can't be shown. I wondered if you did that deliberately - I wouldn't put it past you - but now I see your flower. Probably it's just our pathetic satellite system out here in the middle of the Quebec word for 'beyond'.
0 Replies