Roger's Spider Stronghold is now open!

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:45 am
For all of the two or three (or less) of you here at a2k who own or have owned spiders, here is your safe haven for sharing your love of spiders.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2hpuo1z.jpg

Go forth and proselytize us nonspider owners into adopting a family of spiders!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 58,439 • Replies: 410

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:56 am
@tsarstepan,
my wife stumbled into an orb spiders web(and was wearing a big orb spider in her hair until I tackeled her and got it out). She did this several years ago as she walked into the perennial garden late in AUgust.

She fuckin freaked. It took a shower, several g;lasses of Blue Nun and many gallons of Ben n Jerry's to calm her down.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:00 am
@farmerman,
I don't blame her for freaking out. They'r kind of largish spiders.
<<<<brrrr>>>> Mad
What kind of Ben and Jerry's is the cureall for fighting the arachnophobic induced blues?
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:04 am
@tsarstepan,
She will eat any ice cream flavor as long as it is pnut butter based. So, whatever B/J's was making that had Pnut butter in.

Probably had some corny name. Now, whenever she walks in the gardens in late summer, she carries a big whippy stick that she waves up and down in front of her like some Pygmy shaman
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:50 am
I save dozens of wolf spiders from the swimming pool. Sometimes, they run from me afterward - and jump back in the pool. I get them out as many times as it takes.

Years back, I caught a seven legged tarantula and made it a cage. After keeping it a few months, I drove it to the country and set it free.
dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:14 am
It was a warm summer late evening, just on disk, as I sat contemplating the environment.
A large golden orb weaver had spun a giant web between two trees in the backyard It must have been 6 feet high and at least as wide. She had already caught two moths. I could see them bound and gagged in the web. I watched the spider sitting deathly still in the middle of its web. Suddenly, In the blink of an eye it was no longer there.

What? where the? Gone? How?

Out of the corner of my eye detected a small flitting movement in the air.
AH ha! A bat.
As Lord ellpus would say.... Marvelouse
dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

my wife stumbled into an orb spiders web(and was wearing a big orb spider in her hair until I tackeled her and got it out). She did this several years ago as she walked into the perennial garden late in AUgust.

She fuckin freaked. It took a shower, several g;lasses of Blue Nun and many gallons of Ben n Jerry's to calm her down.

That is the orb spider nightmare writ large!!! Plus the web feels like rope!!!!!

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:39 am
@dadpad,
I'm not crazy about spiders but I do like bats!

Mo and Mr. B have spent the last week building a bat house for us to put in the yard. Knowing that they'll eat spiders makes them all the more attractive to me. Oregon is crazy with spiders.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I save dozens of wolf spiders from the swimming pool. Sometimes, they run from me afterward - and jump back in the pool. I get them out as many times as it takes.

Perhaps they were committing some kind of ritual suicide and you were just extending their duty and commitment to righting some kind of moral or ethical wrong they had committed. http://i49.tinypic.com/10p0sjq.jpg

Then your alleged selfless heroic attempts would be interferring with their spider culture and ways. Tsk tsk!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Perhaps they were committing some kind of ritual suicide and you were just extending their duty and commitment to righting some kind of moral or ethical wrong they had committed. http://i49.tinypic.com/10p0sjq.jpg

Then your alleged selfless heroic attempts would be interferring with their spider culture and ways. Tsk tsk!

When they do that, they are running in terror from the biggest bug they ever saw.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:33 pm
@boomerang,
Love dem bats.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:52 pm
@boomerang,
Yeh, we had some horribleomas (big rather hefty spiders that I didn't know what they were) that I used to work to avoid when we were tromping around on people's land, back in very northern california. Oy vey.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:21 pm
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/csm-photo-galleries-images/photos-of-the-day-images/2010/0810/10/8458455-1-eng-US/10_full_600.jpg
Quote:
A spider perches on a dewy web in the village of Slobodka, Belarus, early Tuesday.

Sergei Grits/AP

http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Galleries/Photos-of-the-Day/2010/Photos-of-the-Day-08-10/(photo)/10
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:14 pm
Biggest Fossil Spider Found
The 165-million-year-old species is a relative of today's large web weavers.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/04/110419-biggest-fossil-spider-china-animals-science/?source=link_fb20110420biggestfossilspider
roger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
for National Geographic News

Published April 20, 2011

The biggest known fossil spider has been found in China, a new study says.

Measuring nearly 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) in length, the 165-million-year-old fossil was uncovered in 2005 by farmers in Inner Mongolia (see map)—a region teeming with fossils from the middle Jurassic period.

Measuring nearly 1 inch? Wow! That may be big for Inner Mongolia, but the local boys would have him for lunch. And they tell me that only very slow spiders get turned into fossils. Nice try, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:26 pm
I have to squint to read this thread.
Most of you know about my black widow in the kitchen episode, where I had managed to get it into the sink (they were nested in the indian bells I hung on the door to outside) and then it quickly climbed up the sink towards me. I nearly apoplexed. I'm fine with daddy long legs, as we know them in the U.S., but that is about it.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Next time you see one in the sink, kind of sneak up with a glass of water and give her a good splashing. It'll knock her flat, and surface tension will leave her helpless till you can work out a good disposal plan.

No fair using this trick on others of the eight legged persuasion.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:37 pm
@roger,
I don't think that trick works with either spider monkeys or monkey spiders.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
@roger,
Hoping for no next time..
I did get it with an already wet sponge, with my heart in my mouth, a concept I've heard of but not experienced before.
Good to know about the water trick. (Note, carry glass of water at all times..)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I had something similar happen to me with a banana spider.

I feel sick just thinking about it.

I'm not afraid of spiders really, but I am of something this big.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nEaZ1NpQBgM/Sa4K--nOSvI/AAAAAAAAAp4/X0J1mWZKVCk/s400/heather-banana-spider-780240.jpg