Ethics of Emergencies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:28 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Hell, ebrown got the right answer in the second post, and he doesn't even believe in morality.

Stop misrepresenting me, Joe. I believe in, and hold to, pretty much the same morality that you do. The fact that I accept the existence in other systems of morality, doesn't mean that I don't have as much claim to our shared system of morality as you.

Someone said (I can't find the source right now) "It is not enough that I am right, everyone else must be wrong." I don't subscribe to this.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:32 pm
@ebrown p,
Ah, so your browser does show my posts. I was beginning to wonder about that.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
wrote to Night Ripper
Quote:
Everyone who disagrees with you eventually ends up on your ignore list. It's a fate to which I have become resigned.

Soon, he will have the entire membership on ignore.

Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
I don't use the ignore feature for anyone (if that is what you are asking). Of course, it is possible to ignore without the ignore feature. That being said, I like you Joe. You are a bit bull headed... but isn't that why we are here?

((I don't really take this stuff personally))
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

You are in the middle of an ocean with another person. They are floating on a plank that can only support one of you. You will drown soon if you don't take the plank from them. Being quite stronger than the other person you can easily take it from them but they will drown in turn. Your choices are to drown or to cause another person to drown by stealing from them. What is the right thing to do?

I will take the plank, since I can. Interest question.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes and the thought did cross my mind.

On that same note, a good friend of mine had children significantly younger than I did. And I used to think if there was a situation when we were together and it had to be her or me, I always thought that I would step in and protect her seeing she had young children needing her.

The bonus now is - I have a reason to be selfish.

And yes, I would probably if no other option push to survive over some one else for my children - same as I would not hestitate to put myself in a position where I wouldn't survive to save my children.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:34 pm
The funny this is... given the senario put forth by Night Ripper, there is no guarantee that the one with the plank will survive.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
And yes, I would probably if no other option push to survive over some one else for my children - same as I would not hestitate to put myself in a position where I wouldn't survive to save my children.

And if there would happen to be withnesses floating on that ocean also I as a juror or a judge would have no problem sentencing you to death.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah - but they wouldn't have the plank! So therefore no witnesses. And of course it would be he said she said if there happened to be two planks. Besides why in the heck would there be two people in the middle of an ocean with only a plank?
Arjuna

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 02:01 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah - but they wouldn't have the plank! So therefore no witnesses. And of course it would be he said she said if there happened to be two planks. Besides why in the heck would there be two people in the middle of an ocean with only a plank?
I don't think it matters if there are witnesses. Either way you would have to deny something basic to your nature unless you're either homicidal or suicidal. It's not a mind thing the way we're treating it.

Your body will fight for your life even if you tell it to die. Your body would paralyze you if you went to kill the other person. You'd have to force action in the face of that. Your mind knows there has to be another option where you aren't undermining yourself, but acting meaningfully.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:13 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

You are in the middle of an ocean with another person. They are floating on a plank that can only support one of you. You will drown soon if you don't take the plank from them. Being quite stronger than the other person you can easily take it from them but they will drown in turn. Your choices are to drown or to cause another person to drown by stealing from them. What is the right thing to do?

There are lots of problems with the question as it stands, but, setting aside all that, the question of take the plank live , not take the plank die, has only one realizable solution if we believe survival of the fittest is unethical.
One must swim away from the plank immediately, getting as much distance as one can before survival instinct kicks in, just in case instinct doesn't follow with our ethics.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 03:17 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

I will take the plank, since I can. Interest question.

Why am I not surprised. Smile
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:18 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Everyone who disagrees with you eventually ends up on your ignore list. It's a fate to which I have become resigned.

Really? Then why haven't I ignored kennethamy in the several years I've been arguing against him? Oh that's right, because even though he's the most stubborn and short-sighted person on these forums, he actually attacks the arguments instead of the arguer. You haven't been ignored yet since you still actually make some intellectual arguments and your insults are few and far between, for now.

Anyways, if you want an easy way out of our debate, keep pushing me and you will find one. I'll assume that's the only reason why you would continue to insult someone for no reason.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@Night Ripper,
Lighten up, Francis.
Night Ripper

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:54 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Get bent, jerk.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:44 pm
This is the Philosophy, Morality, Ethics thread. Right?
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm
@BillRM,
How clear is a bell anyway? Clear in what sense? Visually, it is quite solid in it's opacity.

I do not believe it's clear as bell (however clear that may be). For example, if I knew for a fact this man would murder if he would live and I would not, I would certainly take it from him.

Also, I think a better question might be, what if YOU were the one on the plank, but the one coming towards you could not take it from you?

0 Replies