Everybody Doesn't Love Raymond Anymore

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:01 am
A milestone in comedy? Raymond? I don't think so. And lately, it's more of a millstone than a milestone. I liked the show for one reason--it made me laugh. When it stopped making me laugh, I stopped liking it. It was the last sitcom I watched. Never got into the Simpsons.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:21 am
Roberta wrote:
A milestone in comedy? Raymond? I don't think so. And lately, it's more of a millstone than a milestone. I liked the show for one reason--it made me laugh. When it stopped making me laugh, I stopped liking it. It was the last sitcom I watched. Never got into the Simpsons.

I know! It was a comedy-by-numbers, but originally pleasing enough; they must have been on something stronger than peace and love.

What do you think is the best thing on the TV at the moment? The schedule is so appalling over here, I've scarcely watched anything..
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:28 am
The show was number one for something like 6 straight years or more. People used to gush about how "real" it was.

Whether you like it or not, ratings-wise "Raymond" dominates this era the way "Cosby" dominated his.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:57 am
Yes, the ratings have always been good. Dominant, in fact. I assumed it was because the show was just plain funny. Let's face it. That's rare on tv. A funny comedy.

But I do think there's a difference between Raymond and the Cosby show, which was a phenomenon. At that time, sitcoms were dying out. No one thought there could be another successful sitcom. Cosby proved the naysayers wrong. Raymond is no phenom. Just funny--and successful.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 04:32 am
Funny how tastes change. I remember enjoying the Cosby show. When I see re-runs of it now-yaaaawwwwn!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:42 am
I agree, Wilso. I don't know what we thought was funny. Some shows do pass the test of time. Lucy, All in the Family, The Honeymooners. Others just fizzle out.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:55 pm
The stories are not important -- there are practically none of the marital woe, family problem stories that Lucy and Desi, the Honeymooners and All in the Family hasn't explored. It's the jokes -- mainly the one-liners that become repetitive. What do the writers do when the sexual innuendo joke has become hacknyed? Even "Frasier" has less than average shows and its still better than most of the other sitcoms. Larry David in "Curb Your Enthusiasm" has been provocative humor which does not tied up its dependence on one-liners. It's more believable because its about the real faults and foibles of dealing with social situations. It's the final "black-out" scene that always puts me rolling on the floor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:50 pm
We've started watching old Cosby episodes at work at lunch recently. Even when I know the episodes, I still cackle. There was a group of about 20 of us hanging on every word of the episode where Theo gets his ear pierced. We all knew the dialogue and the moves, and we were still howling. Some of those family situations are just so right. Timeless.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:01 pm
Roberta wrote:

But I do think there's a difference between Raymond and the Cosby show, which was a phenomenon. At that time, sitcoms were dying out. No one thought there could be another successful sitcom. Cosby proved the naysayers wrong.

Interesting that you should say that. I wasn't aware of the idea that sitcoms were dying out.

Cosby really was a phenomenon. Remember, he not only made his show popular, but he was the lead-in to Michael J. Fox's show. Together, those two shows were No.1 and No.2 for something like 8-10 years in a row. They dominated the night.

Never did "get" Michael J. Fox's show, but it was a monster hit nonetheless. Occasionally, for some reason Fox's show would get a slightly larger rating than Cosby's, and the TV columns in the paper used to write silly articles about whether Fox had finally moved out under Cosby's shadow. That's what happens when you have two shows Number One and Two for a decade: TV writers start wondering who is carrying who.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:08 pm
In addition to those two, there was another comedy of note, one I liked even better: Newhart. His first show was a big hit, too. This one was just as big a hit, and was on the same era as Cosby. So if the writers were wondering if the sitcom had disappeared, it turned out to actually be a golden age of sorts for sitcoms.

Although Newhart might have gotten a little stupid the last couple of years, it really had one great thing going for it. Like Friends, it was something of a "lifestyle" comedy.

What is a Lifestyle Comedy? A Lifestyle Comedy is a comedy that people tune into because they admire or aspire to the lifestyle of the show's characters. It may or may not be funny.

Don't forget, a lot of people made a lot of money in the eighties, many of whom never went to jail. Although Newhart was not a stock market manipulator in the show, he lived the arbitrageur's dream-take your money, move to Vermont, open a little bed & breakfast place, relax, smell the roses and look at the falling leaves. It is a good thing it was funny for the first several years, but it really did not have to be-Newhart and his wife were living the lifestyle a significant number of people wanted to live. It almost had to be a hit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:59 pm
Before my TV tanked, I was just getting into Nick at Nite re-runs of Cosby, and LOVING it. I watched 'em for the first time as a teenager, from the kids' perspective (I thought Theo was adorable, I was in awe of Lisa Bonet's fashion sense), and now watching from the parent's perspective. Kinda cool.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 11:59 pm
Hmmm. I watched a few of the Cosby reruns on Nick at Nite. I couldn't get interested. Maybe I'll give it another try.

keltidwizard, Yup, the sitcom was on the way out. There were a few around, but nothing big. I remember reading that the networks were planning few new comedies and were going to focus on hour-long dramas. Next thing you know, boom. Cosby's show hit and it hit big.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 08:34 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Everybody Loves Raymond.

Does this mean that one person loves Raymond, Roberta?
0 Replies

Antonia80

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:59 pm
I have never Loved Raymond Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:22 pm
well, to make it brief, and though I may be mispeaking abit but I hereby apologize for any mis statem,enst but, As I Understand the entire sequence of this thread , and I am only speaking from a personal point of view and not a clear understanding or "fan base" for the entire program presentations , but, clearly, numerous People had originally liked Raymond . However that has changed markedly . Now, many of these same people, ie those who once liked (or actually loved) Raymond, apparently, for reasons known only to them, do NOTlove Raymond any longer.
G Figure
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 08:48 pm
@Antonia80,
Antonia80 wrote:

I have never Loved Raymond Very Happy

I, also.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 08:49 pm
@farmerman,
As succinct a summing up as ever was seen.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 07:40 pm
I was shocked when I read one of the little twin boys shot and killed himself over the weekend. The twins are 19 years old. How sad and tragic.

‘EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND’ STAR SAWYER SWEETEN TOOK HIS OWN LIFE AFTER BEING BULLIED, SUFFERING FINANCIALLY (REPORT)

Quote:
Bullying and financial woes drove Everybody Loves Raymond star Sawyer Sweeten to take his own life, a new report by ‘Radar Online’ claims.

The 19-year-old — who committed suicide on April 23 with a gunshot to his head — was allegedly in major debt prior to his death and was unable to land a new acting gig. Speaking of his failed career, a source says, “It was humiliating after being on a top show.”

http://images.intouchweekly.com/uploads/images/file/15923/everybody-loves-raymond-cast.jpg?fit=crop&w=680
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 07:56 pm
I tended to overlook the kids, because they were not often in the plots, as I remember. It happens pretty regularly that kid actors have a tough almost impossible time of it growing up.
0 Replies