Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:25 am
A few years ago, Gibson dismissed his sexist, anti-Semitic rant, after a DWI arrest, as being alcohol fueled. He expressed contrition and vowed to get help.

But now, the release of new audio tapes reveal a Gibson hurling racial and ethnic slurs at his girlfriend, admitting to assaulting her, and possibly threatening to kill her.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mel-gibson-spits-racial-slur-newly-released-recording/story?id=11150502

Has Gibson gone too far this time? Has he become Hollywood poison? His agent has already dropped him. Is his career in films over?

Have your feelings about Gibson changed as a result of these revelations? Would you still want to see or support his movies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 16,708 • Replies: 242

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:30 am
i haven't seen a mel gibson movie (where he was an actor) since the mad max films, and i bought my copies of passion of the christ and apocalypto used from a video store, so i haven't really supported him much, he could die tomorrow and i'd not shed many tears, in fact that might be his best option for sympathy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:36 am
Mel Gibson's father raised him to follow his strange religious beliefs and wide racism. They are both religious wackos. But Mel is getting worse because he's become very rich and believes he's entitled to rule his world. I pity anyone who gets involved with him.

BBB
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:38 am
Mel is being investigated by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department in connection with domestic violence charges. Oksana has told police that Mel punched her on January 6, knocked out two of her teeth and was violent with her on several occasions.

The violence, coupled with bigotry--toward Jews, Blacks, and Latinos--and his obvious sexism, really paints a portrait of a rather vile, despicable man.

I don't think any amount of P.R. spin can help to salvage Gibson's career now. He has self destructed.

I am turned off just looking at him now. I have no desire to sit through his movies or to contribute to his income.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:40 am
He was great in Braveheart......and I will always love the Lethal Weapon movies.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:44 am
Whoopi says Mel isn't a racist:

Quote:
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2010/07/12/whoopi256.jpg&size=256x192&quality=85

Whoopi Goldberg has defended Mel Gibson against allegations he's a racist after he was allegedly heard using offensive language in an expletive-laden, recorded argument with his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.

Audio of the fight, which leaked on RadarOnline.com on Friday, featured a voice believed to be Gibson's berating a woman, said to be the Russian singer, about the way she dresses.

The male can be heard saying, "You're an embarrassment to me. You look like a f**king pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n**gers, it will be your fault."

Representatives for Gibson have yet to confirm the authenticity of the tape, but Goldberg has defended the Braveheart actor's crude language, insisting he's simply being a "bonehead".

The African-American Ghost star claims Gibson would not have maintained a friendship with her and her children if he was really a racist.

Speaking on her U.S. talk show The View on Monday, she says, "I don't like what he did here, but I know Mel, and I know he's not a racist. He may be a bonehead.

"I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he's being a bonehead, but I can't say he's a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids. Make no mistake (he's not a racist)."

But Goldberg is quick to clarify she does not approve of Gibson's alleged behaviour and his language - if the tape is authentic.

She adds, "I'm not defending Mel, I'm simply saying that... I don't see him as that (a racist) because that's not my experience with him."

Gibson is currently being investigated by Los Angeles authorities over allegations he was violent towards Grigorieva, the mother of his baby daughter Lucia, during their romance. The couple split earlier this year and is currently embroiled in a bitter custody battle.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2010/07/12/14687996-wenn-story.html

Gargamel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:44 am
I'm looking forward to Braveheart 2 (Too Brave), in which he plays not William Wallace, but George Wallace, standing at the schoolhouse door in Tuscaloosa, in the name of love.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:46 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Who asked Whoopi? I mean, I realize holds a doctorate in Who's ******* Racist and Who Isn't, but to that I say, "Sister Act 2."

Also, Pam? As our resident Nazi Grand Wizard, you might sit this one out.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:50 am
I have always had the impression that Mel Gibson is a deeply conflicted person. His divorce probably exacerbated his inner conflicts.

Mel Gibson's father was very conservative. Because of the cultural and political turmoil of the 1960's, he moved his family from New York to Australia to shield his children. Mel Gibson himself proclaimed that he was a deeply religious Roman Catholic. Movie stardom opened many temptations. This is where I think his inner conflict comes from.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:59 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw- If he were 22, I might agree with you. But he is a grownup, or should have been , years ago. His aggression and idiotic outbursts are, shall we say, unseemly for a man of his age.

Grow up Mel, you are making an ass of yourself!
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@firefly,
I don't know Hollywood, but an agent dropping an actor with that much name recognition can't be a good sign.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:10 am
@Phoenix32890,
You have a good point, Phoenix.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:39 am
I listened to that 8 minute audio last night. I had to keep looking at the still photo that was there, to keep reminding myself who I was listening to.

Trying to be objective, this sounds like someone who has gone over from conflicted to having some sort of mental condition. Others who have listened to the audio would have to agree this was a person (mel gibson or not), that was completely out of control and unhinged.

Since I don't keep up on all the hollywood gossip, I don't know what possibilities have been explored, so forgive me if I'm going over old ground.

He's been in trouble for drinking, could this have effected his mind/brain? Rant doesn't even begin to describe that phone audio. I'm thinking brain tumor.

Has his wife and/or children ever volunteered anything about violent behavior, and how far into his past?

I'll be honest, when years back he first made his racist/homophobic comments, I didn't really let that sway my opinion of him. You never know who a person is in their private life, unless they let you in.

Now though, it's like he wasn't a person.

When in a calmer place, I wonder what his reaction to listening to this was?

I can't throw stones, saying he's evil. Standing where I am, he looks like he's very ill.

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
His divorce probably exacerbated his inner conflicts.

It may really be the other way around. As his behavior became more intolerable, his wife just couldn't put up with it and wanted out of the marriage. His womanizing was certainly at odds with traditional Roman Catholic beliefs and his marital vows. Divorce would be too, but only if he wants to re-marry in the Catholic church. But it was his behavior that led to the divorce.

He's not just a traditional Roman Catholic, he's even built his own chapel.

Quote:

The actor has been very vocal about his "traditionalist" views, adhering to the Roman Catholic faith as it was understood before the "modernization" by the Second Vatican Council of 1962-1965. ''I go to an all-pre-Vatican II Latin mass," he told USA Today in 2001. "There was a lot of talk, particularly in the '60s, of 'Wow, we've got to change with the times.' But the Creator instituted something very specific, and we can't just go change it.''

So in 2003 the actor decided to help change things back to the way they were, building a chapel in Malibu, Calif. – The Church of the Holy Family. Tucked away in the tree-covered mountains of Agoura Hills, 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles, the rustic church, unaffiliated with the Roman Catholic archdiocese, has a foot-tall crucifix on the altar and the priest keeps his back to the parishioners as he performs mass every morning entirely in Latin. In church, women must wear head coverings.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20272857_1216647,00.html

But, building your own church clearly does not make one a "good Christian" in terms of behavior. He allegedly went on a rant in front of his fellow parishioners because he felt they were gossiping too much about his personal life.
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/06/exclusive-mel-gibsons-crazed-rant-church

Gibson may well be conflicted, because his behavior and religious beliefs are at odds with each other. But, since actions speak louder than words, he also appears to be somewhat hypocritical when it comes to religion.

Gibson does appear to be spinning more and more out of control. Whether success, fame, and money have led to his increasing arrogance, or continued alcohol abuse has diminished his self control and judgment, or both have combined to be his undoing, he seems to be destroying his personal life and his career. The guy needs to get himself some help.

I have found some of Gibson's films much too graphic in terms of violent content. Now it seems as if some of that cinematic content mirrors a violent streak in the man himself.

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
The actor has been very vocal about his "traditionalist" views, adhering to the Roman Catholic faith as it was understood before the "modernization" by the Second Vatican Council of 1962-1965. ''I go to an all-pre-Vatican II Latin mass," he told USA Today in 2001. "There was a lot of talk, particularly in the '60s, of 'Wow, we've got to change with the times.' But the Creator instituted something very specific, and we can't just go change it.''

if that's his feeling he should go back to pre-The Council of Nicea
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:22 am
He's got sever mental illness.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:55 am
@firefly,
I'm on team Mel. He sounds hurt. She sounds like she couldnt care less. He is saying things he doesn't mean out of hurt and anger. Anyone who has had a serious relationship breakup can relate.

His rant didn't come from out of nowhere. she purposely got him all riled up so she could record him acting like this. I don't believe her one second when she says she doesn't care about her singing career and wants to "save her daughter's life." if she didn't have that kid, she wouldn't be getting a huge payday soon from Mel. she could care less about that kid.

How is it that this broad hasn't been arrested and charged yet for illegally taping a conversation without consent and releasing an illegally taped conversation without consent ?

Nobody talks that way to William Wallace. Nobody!
snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:00 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Who asked Whoopi? I mean, I realize holds a doctorate in Who's ******* Racist and Who Isn't, but to that I say, "Sister Act 2."

Also, Pam? As our resident Nazi Grand Wizard, you might sit this one out.

Very Happy Word up, Gargamel!!! You go!!!

About whoopi (Caryn Elaine Johnson - real name before she named herself after a cushion that makes a fart noise)... she's just verified what I thought about her ever since she showed up along with Ted Danson wearing corked blackface at an event.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:07 am
@Jeremiah,
Team Mel, huh?

wtf? Shocked
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 01:49 pm
The crazy cop he played in Lethal Weapon wasn't that hard to get into character after all...
0 Replies